exp loss on death is a bad old mechanic

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Here's how instant leech is a huge problem...
1. Imagine a decent instant-leech build.
2. Now, from a game designer perspective, create an enemy which can kill it, assuming the player is a little sloppy but not a complete idiot.

A bunch of goats. All jumping on his head at once. That "inhabited by goatmen" mod is there for a reason.

"

3. Congratulations, you've just introduced another source of ridiculous spike damage into the game.

If game doesn't have unpredictable intense spike damage, instant healing (such as leech) is OP. If it does have unpredictable intense spike damage, it has unpredictable intense spike damage; the cure is a disease all its own.

I'll admit when I'm not knowledgeable about something (say what? on the internet?) as my experience with instaleech is vaal pact with CI, which isn't a Win Game button by any means. I guess it's different with life-based, and not requiring phys dmg for leech, and Acuities. Acuities are definitely the Win Game button.

Also, not to wax too philosophical and get off topic, but I guess I don't particularly mind unpredictable intense spike damage. In real life with that sort of damage, like an elephant stepping on my head or getting shot in the head with an elephant gun, I can't tank it no matter what I do, so I guess in a video game I seek it out and embrace it.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
Guys, can we agree that the first step to making the upon death penalties fairer would be to make all portals to a map close when a character dies in it?
There, we get that players won't be zerging in maps, and we've got a heavy penalty for dying too easily (i.e. having a lot of trouble sustaining maps, therefore getting less experience).
And, from there, we could have the XP penalty be reworked with some of the most problematic issues having been already solved?
XP penalty starts as completely meaningless, you kinda start caring about it @ lvl 90.. but not really, it's so easy to get XP back even if you do die. Below 90 it's a joke, 90-95 it's meh, and at 95+, losing XP does punish you and at that point, you don't want to die anymore.

Make a solid character. Don't do anything stupid. Don't attempt double Maegara with -12% res, for example. Don't roll terrible maps for no good reason. You won't be losing XP.

"
archonmagus wrote:
I went with a cyclone build this season and it was amazing fun at the start in wide open places. as the game got harder and areas got cramped i found myself getting stuck on objects and corners and also noticed how terribly designed the spell is.

Hold the cursor close to your character and just point it in general direction, it will work. But yes, it will get stuck on everything. And honestly, Cyclone is not a good skill unless you use it with coc+discharge.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Apr 30, 2016, 5:43:09 AM
HP steal is always one of most OP things in a game, thats why it should be really limited or non existant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info