Did they honestly make linking sockets easier?

"
Bars wrote:
IMO the six-link situation as a whole is in a good spot right now. It's still difficult and expensive but nowhere near what it was 2 years ago.

Of course it is, nobody says otherwise. The point is that the manual linking process somehow manages to be risky, boring and frustrating at the same time, that's quite a feat.

And of the discussion is pointless, of course, how many discussions here are truly productive? :)
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 26, 2016, 1:30:35 PM
If you dislike it so much, don't do it - it's that simple. Some players like to gamble. I usually make my own six-links and I like exactly the gambling element.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
There's another thing I forgot to mention, if an item had a fuse counter and it was visible on alt press or on poetrade it would add another layer of complexity to item pricing. An item that somebody tried to link and then changed his mind for whatever reason would fetch a higher price. That's good because you wouldn't feel like your efforts were entirely wasted, and devs love anything that adds to the economy so it may be worth the effort.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
No need for that ...

Right, I favour that system too. Yes it would require for items to keep track of a new internal state, and unlike evasion the state has to be persistent across sessions so would require a database entry. Probably the impact would be minimal, as storage space nowadays is not a problem and this wouldn't increase db lookup times (would be an extra column), but ofc you never know w/o knowing the internal design...

"
What I notice in this thread is something I warned them about a few years ago, it's the 'buttered side' effect, you tend to remember bad streaks much longer and take good ones in stride as something you rightfully earned. That's what makes 6-linking experiences prevalently unfavorable, shifting results more towards average would have zero impact on economy but significantly improve the user experience.

Exactly.

And that's why, Bars, threads like this keep happening. And will continue. The problem is not that linking is too easy, or too hard. Or how it should be considering it acts as a sink. Personally I've never complained about the AVERAGE fuses it takes to 6L and I'm fine with it being somehow expensive, and to a point, random.

The problem, and what should be eliminated, are edge cases, because there is no reason for them to exist. "But who cares if 1% trying to link are screwed...", well, because there is no reason for that to happen, it's a bad player experience and makes people stop playing (which I guess GGG doesn't like). Basically, it adds nothing to the game, because there is such thing as too much RNG.

What will change or not only GGG knows, they already have made linking on average easier over time (something that many people didn't ask). And they have removed plenty of RNG (or tamed it, a lot) in the past (masters in general, even the map system is much more tamed). So never say never, I wouldn't be surprised if linking is already anchored somehow and GGG hasn't said anything about it, maybe is just that value is stupid high.
Last edited by knac84 on Apr 26, 2016, 2:29:32 PM
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:

GGG really should add a method so that you can just pay a set number of fusings and be guaranteed the number of links of your choice, maybe set it a bit more than the average number you would need to spend to offset lack of gamble.

Vorici already does this for a flat fee of 1500 fusing for a 6L.

wow, seriously?
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Pewzor wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:

GGG really should add a method so that you can just pay a set number of fusings and be guaranteed the number of links of your choice, maybe set it a bit more than the average number you would need to spend to offset lack of gamble.

Vorici already does this for a flat fee of 1500 fusing for a 6L.

wow, seriously?

Yes, he needs to be level 7 for that.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 26, 2016, 3:54:13 PM
"
Nevernoomi wrote:
Perandus league was my first time playing PoE and tbh I'm having a blast so far. I"m really enjoying trying to complete the 36 challenges.. I've got a few more to go tho!

Spoiler
Then I ran into trying to 6L a chest armor.. well here is where all my fun has stopped.

I'm currently at 847 fusings trying to link this thing and I'm very very discouraged at this point in time for a couple reasons. (I did 5 link it 3 times for anybody curious)

As stated in this post already, the 1st fusing has the same chance as the 10114th fusing to do the job. Meaning that I may never link this thing before the league is over.

Second and most annoyingly I just decided to look on poe.trade and I could have simply bought an already 6L version of this armor for 808 fusings by trading the fusings for exalted orbs.

Thirdly as again already stated, starting to save 1500 fusings for Vorici is absolute stupidity considering the second complaint and that the league is coming to a close in a few weeks.

Had I stopped to think I would have went with poe.trade and been done with it, which I'm certain I will in any future league I participate in.. which makes Vorici totally obsolete and GGG should simply do something else with him.

Also It would seem that even attempting to 6L an item outside of "just for giggles" moments is simply not worth the effort.. Sure you could 6L it on your first try, but it just seems more logical to me to simply trade for it.

What??? Did IQs suddenly drop or is it the new norm to not read other posts in a thread?

I already stated that I think it's always been wrong for GGG to make the odds of getting a 6L be the same on the first fuse used verses the 10000th fuse and then I restated my position that GGG should keep a fusing counter so that over time the number of fusings used will slowly but steadily increase the chance that the next fusing used will produce a 6L. For the sake of this discussion I used 4500 (more or less arbitrarily but 3x the 1500 buy price) but the only way to know if that should be 6000 or 7500 is for GGG to set up a test program, run the numbers a million times, and then look at the statistical results to decide where the fusings ceiling should be set to get an average of around 1500 fusings per 6L.

I want my efforts to 6L not be such a big rng crap shoot of a gamble. GGG probably wants us to trade for a 6L but somewhere someone had to gamble and get a 6L in order to put it up for sale. Besides that, if GGG is so all high and mighty that we should trade then damnit fix PoE so we can trade more easily. GGG, you slap us in the face with high rng making for super low chance of crafting our own 6L and then slap us a 2nd time with making trading overly time consuming, and the 3rd strike slap is not having a fusing vendor formula like we get for jewellers. I get it that GGG and most players don't want it to be super easy but we also don't want it to be so hard that it removes and ruins "fun to play".

Note: Of course, I know that this is just a futile exercise in PoE theory crafting as GGG probably would never do the right thing. GGG is almost always thinking of the next features they want to add and rarely going back and fixing broken elements.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Apr 26, 2016, 7:36:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info