GGG Could you PLZ add some forum sheriff.

"
zriL wrote:
As RodHull says, it's not really about trolling, this community is fine about this (for the moment).
However, I don't feel like posting as I've done before. It's because, these days, I feel like people are just posting their stuff without reading or taking into account what has been said before. Then every thread turns rapidly into infinitely clycling discussions with deaf people.

"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
If people quit posting because other people disagree with them, they probably don't believe in their opinions very much. Being able to hold a debate to defend your position is just as important as presenting the position in the first place. Disagreement isn't trolling. Moderators crack down on true trolls here.

It's precisely because people defend too much their position, without even thinking that they could be wrong, that debates become fruitless. It's nice to be able to hold his position, but it's also important and usually much harder to accept other's arguments.

I can't think of a real solution to this issue. It's not that bad because it shows that people are really passionate about this game. But feedback quality is greatly affected, I see many people exaggerating a lot to defend their position, and this is bad feedback...
I think alpha members are doing a great job trying to stop endless and useless arguments, so I don't understand the hate toward them.

This.

This attitude:

"Being able to hold a debate to defend your position is just as important as presenting the position in the first place."

goes nowhere, this should not be a priority in a debate.

debating online is nothing like debating in person. People can hide behind anonymity. Expecting civil discourse on video game forums is like expecting thrilling plays during a pee-wee football match.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
"
szesan wrote:
"Being able to hold a debate to defend your position is just as important as presenting the position in the first place."

goes nowhere, this should not be a priority in a debate.
Being able to debate shouldn't be a priority in a debate?
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jan 12, 2012, 10:54:48 PM
This isn't the first time people have complained about "alpha member fanboism", but I still don't really understand the concept.
Try just ignoring the "alpha member" tag near their name. Alpha members are, after all, just game testers voicing their opinion, like everybody else. I'm not sure why people perceive them as a separate group.

Having said that, I can empathise with the feeling of being new to a community, and feeling like there is overwhelming opposition when some established members disagree with you.

If your aim is to have a discussion and explore a topic or idea, then the best thing to do is to be as open to their opinion as you expect them to be with yours.

If you aim is simply to provide feedback for the devs, then who cares what anyone else thinks. This isn't a democracy, and no consensus is required. The devs read feedback and that feedback informs decisions they make on their own. They don't make decisions based on who "wins" an argument, how vocal people are, or which idea is most popular.

"
This isn't the first time people have complained about "alpha member fanboism", but I still don't really understand the concept.

Seems that they are considered to be elite and influential when it comes to game design.

Had some dumbass insist calling me Whiteboy in-game because I proposed that life leach needs a nerf. Apparently, Whiteboy, you are responsible for the nerfmaggedon of the last several major patches.
"
konfeta wrote:
Had some dumbass insist calling me Whiteboy in-game because I proposed that life leach needs a nerf. Apparently, Whiteboy, you are responsible for the nerfmaggedon of the last several major patches.
That made me laugh... I rarely speak of things needing to be nerfed. I've talked about things needing stronger trade-offs, but not nerfs to effectiveness. Besides 0.9.2 Shock Nova, that is.

For the record, if someone thinks they've caught me in-game, I'll openly identify myself. So if anyone sees someone saying he's not me, he isn't me :P And konfeta... he isn't me.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jan 12, 2012, 11:01:42 PM
uhm ...

So after reading all these post´s

Alpha Testers are Trolls who are GGG Staff. Who in reality are ppl with different opinions like the trolls you and me are just like the Alpha Testers who are not Alpha Testers posting about Nerfed issues ?

My head hurts -.-

What was this post about again ?
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
Its about
"I shot the sheriff, but i aimed against the debuty"
Now we need a new sheriff.

While it should be more like
"You and me, live together in perfect Anarchy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I reckon our forum moderators do a pretty fair job carrying out a function which, on the whole, appears to be quite thankless.

They got the job because they were not crazy eyed, foaming at the mouth, blinkered and unreasonable people. They can work out fairly quickly what is acceptable and waht isn't within normal forum guidelines. The GGG devs have quite enough on their plate and introducing forum moderators to assist with monitoring the increasing amounts of posts each day seemed a logical move.

Seeing all alpha testers being tarred with the same brush by a few stirrers is hardly worth losing any sleep over. There are some very active posters in alpha forums just the same as there are in beta. We all have our own way of approaching and evaluating the material available to us. That is reflected in the feedback and dialogue between testers and devs. When things are quiet in alpha it makes sense to engage in the beta forums instead. It hardly makes us all elitist trolls or whatever today's phrase happens to be. We're testers, just like the rest of you.

My 2 cents (+ GST) ....
I used to be apathetic, now I just don't care.
Heh. I'm going to fan the flames on this one...

By no means am I a 'veteran', as I joined the site in September and was fortunate to get my beta invite within a couple of days. In 0.9.2, the community was small enough, particularly in Hardcore League, which is my preferred league, that I felt safe in stating my opinion, and I would receive politely worded opinions in kind. People actually took into consideration objective statements and listened to the argument for/against the idea/concept.

Since 0.9.4, with the proverbial beta gates opened by increasing the speed of the beta invite timer, the quality and calibre of people seems to have declined substantially. I have actually gone so far as to stop playing, and I no longer contribute to discussion in global chat because invariably, whatever position I choose, there is no discussion or a talking point to debate, but ad hominem attacks.

While I certainly respect that every player has an opinion on what they think the game 'should be like', many of the recent threads/subjects/concepts were discussed in length in a very objective fashion prior to the influx of players. And now, when someone who has had the opportunity to participate in those earlier discussions points out objections to someone's opinion, they are 'fanbois'...
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info