GGG Could you PLZ add some forum sheriff.

"
tpapp157 wrote:
Again, this stuff happens so I suggest you grow a thicker skin because I'm not going to lock an entire thread because of one or two bad posts. I'm not here to hold your hand and wipe your tears and tell you that all your ideas and opinions are right.

Love this stance, the worst thing a new company can start doing is throwing its weight around and locking threads/banning accounts based on spurious complaints from other forum goers.

All to often in forum land nowadays you get people throwing the 'troll' tag around without any real concept of what it means. A troll isn't someone who disagrees with you, or *god forbid* uses humour/sarcasm to illustrate why they think you are wrong.

A troll is somebody who posts deliberately inflamatory statements and threads in order to cause arguments and stir up bad feeling. I dont see any of that here at all (and believe I know trolling, I was in the Darkfall closed beta)

A beta community only works if people are allowed to voice their opinions, the last thing anyone should want is heavy handed mods closing down threads left right and center cause someone gets offended by a little gentle sarcasm or disagreement.

Of course when the game goes live this might change, but currently I dont see any need for more moderation I think your all doing a fine job.
"
Darkfyre wrote:
i have to agree with drtenma on this one.

almost everything i read from alpha member posts, it seems, is so far out in left field it's ridiculous.

it's not exactly just a matter of disagreement either (at least not in the normal sense). it's more like if i made a comment about a piece of fruit and then one of them goes "that's not fruit, that's a spaceship!" ..... wtf?? O_o

that level of "disagreement" i can only see as trolling
That's simply not the case. You're talking as if us alpha testers try to deny fact, proven with empirical science (we breathe air, rocks are hard, an apple is a fruit, PoE is a video game, etc.).

Sure, some people may strongly disagree with opinions about what is fun or what the game should be like, but those aren't facts. They're just opinions. Having vastly different opinions and arguing them isn't trolling.

Intermingling facts with opinions in a statement like that makes it entirely false.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jan 10, 2012, 9:57:17 AM
I don't get it really. Might be cause I'm not that active on the forum. But as far as the global chat ingame (HC) I'd say it's just fine imo. Sure sometimes morons start being stupid and/or get trolled a bit. That's to be expected.
Everyone knows the chat will be redone into some completely different system. Until then I'd say there is no point complaining about it. Reservation for obvious stuff like racism, threats, personal attacks and such. As mentioned in this thread before, those can still be documented and dealt with. Expecting to be protected in realtime against such actions is not realistic. Unless you use big general sweeps of chatfiltering and so on. Which would still make it more cumbersome for the average player and not really be efficient against the real serious stuff.

I do have a nagging suspicion that the chatmorons I mentioned above tend to end up in default league. Might be a whole different experience in the default global chat.

Personally I commend GGG and the moderators for what I experience as a very open and freespoken community. Hopefully it will stay that way.
To overreact and try to be (to?) strict would probably be way worse in the long run then having as open and free forum/chat as possible.
Sure there will be idiots that flame and troll to the extreme. There always is.
"
RodHull wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Again, this stuff happens so I suggest you grow a thicker skin because I'm not going to lock an entire thread because of one or two bad posts. I'm not here to hold your hand and wipe your tears and tell you that all your ideas and opinions are right.

Love this stance, the worst thing a new company can start doing is throwing its weight around and locking threads/banning accounts based on spurious complaints from other forum goers.

All to often in forum land nowadays you get people throwing the 'troll' tag around without any real concept of what it means. A troll isn't someone who disagrees with you, or *god forbid* uses humour/sarcasm to illustrate why they think you are wrong.

A troll is somebody who posts deliberately inflamatory statements and threads in order to cause arguments and stir up bad feeling. ...

A beta community only works if people are allowed to voice their opinions, the last thing anyone should want is heavy handed mods closing down threads left right and center cause someone gets offended by a little gentle sarcasm or disagreement.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
On a tangent about the alpha members: you can very often see us debating among ourselves in the same fashion we use with other people. I sometimes disagree with what other alphas say just as I disagree with what some betas (and non-testers) say. Witt and Nate have been known to go at it with theories from time to time... We're not an elitist group who tries to shut down others. Some of use just feel like trying to prove our points, even to each other. Grouping all of us based on a small sample is fairly harsh generalization.

I agree with Wittgenstein on most issues. We tend to have similar thought processes, which just happen to be very similar to GGG's. This is surely why I like the game so much: it's being designed by players who enjoy the same things I do. Does that make us fanboys? Some people seem to think so. I don't, because both of us have disagreed with plenty of things GGG has come up with, and each other, and been vocal about them. Think of it like members of a political party: we agree on the big picture, but the details leave a lot of room for debate. We're exercising our right to disagree, not trolling.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Actually 90% of the time I disagree with vocal alpha members. But contrary to my personality, I simply don't post because I know that they will hold onto their opinions till the end. Or I don't really care. Games are for fun and I'm done with heated discussions in game forums. I've had enough of it.

He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
"
Lachdanan wrote:

and what if they are right ?

and what if you are a troll ?
"
and what if you are a troll ?

Now you need to explain to me what this word is, im pretty sure Germany got rid of all whatever it is.

I have my own opinion, and one of those opinions is that i never pick sides.

Let me translate it different,
"and what if they are right"
under the impression that there are not only 2 sides, its more like there are 50 sides to an argument..
Its a fruit
its 90%fruit 5%apple 5%spaceship
its 80%fruit 20%hovercraft
its a Trap
its a Spaceship
it translates more towards "do you have the right to put a different value in another ones opinion"

Welcome to the Mealstrom of Chaos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I spy with my little eye - trollbait.
As RodHull says, it's not really about trolling, this community is fine about this (for the moment).
However, I don't feel like posting as I've done before. It's because, these days, I feel like people are just posting their stuff without reading or taking into account what has been said before. Then every thread turns rapidly into infinitely cycling discussions with deaf people.

"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
If people quit posting because other people disagree with them, they probably don't believe in their opinions very much. Being able to hold a debate to defend your position is just as important as presenting the position in the first place. Disagreement isn't trolling. Moderators crack down on true trolls here.

It's precisely because people defend too much their position, without even thinking that they could be wrong, that debates become fruitless. It's nice to be able to hold his position, but it's also important and usually much harder to accept other's arguments.

I can't think of a real solution to this issue. It's not that bad because it shows that people are really passionate about this game. But feedback quality is greatly affected, I see many people exaggerating a lot to defend their position, and this is bad feedback...
I think alpha members are doing a great job trying to stop endless and useless arguments, so I don't understand the hate toward them.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Jan 12, 2012, 4:22:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info