Windows 10 Memory Leak Fixed

We're not sure when this problem was introduced, but we started seeing reports of it after the deployment of Ascendancy.

We initially dismissed reports of a memory leak because:
  • The client itself was not leaking memory. The reported memory usage of the client executable was not increasing. We were not aware of any way that you could have memory associated with your process that was not accounted for by the process' displayed memory usage.
  • You cannot use more than 4gb of memory in a 32 bit process (which Path of Exile is). Therefore any reports of more than 4gb of memory "leaked" were dismissed.
  • The "leak" being Windows 10 only confused the issue because there were changes in Windows 10's memory management that cause it to be reported differently.
  • A lot of users were conflating regular memory problems with a memory leak. Memory leaks and high memory usage are two separate issues. The game absolutely uses too much memory, which we are working on, but was not leaking memory as far as we were aware.

We were wrong and would like to publicly apologise that this went on for so long. There was a leak and after many days of investigation, we have fixed it. Strangely, it appeared to be a regression in Windows 10 that caused previously normal behaviour to now leak System memory.

To take advantage of this update, just restart your game client once and the hotfixed version will download.

Thanks very much to the users who contributed RAMMap reports and other information that helped us diagnose the issue.

We are still working on improving other memory issues as well. We have some promising memory reductions that will hopefully be deployed in the coming week. These should resolve the memory-related crashes that people sometimes encounter when changing areas. I'd like to deeply apologise for the recent performance issues, and thank you for your patience. We have several programmers dedicated to performance improvements and they have a lot of plans for how to continue to improve our architecture.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Mar 22, 2016, 12:40:20 AM
Last bumped on Dec 23, 2019, 9:17:02 AM
awesome stuff ggg
IGN: Jnfected
Cheers!
Gods be praised! \o/
Awesome Awesome!
Great job owning up to a mistake and correcting it GGG! I just wish it didn't take so long to update, I'm only writing this as I watch an immobile download bar on Steam.
Question: sometimes when I change zones it disconnects after entering the new zone (it always happens in the aquaeduct, and many times in the labyrinth). Is it related to excessive memory usage? (you talk about crashes because of memory problems, but some I have seen show a dialog box, so I'm not sure if it applies to my problems).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Mar 22, 2016, 12:25:36 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Question: sometimes when I change zones it disconnects after entering the new zone (it always happens in the aquaeduct, and many times in the labyrinth). Is it related to excessive memory usage? (you talk about crashes because of memory problems, but some I have seen show a dialog box, so I'm not sure if it applies to my problems).

If it was the memory problem then that'd crash with a windows (possibly saying MapViewOfFile). What's the error shown here when you're disconnected?
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

If it was the memory problem then that'd crash with a windows (possibly saying MapViewOfFile). What's the error shown here when you're disconnected?

None. I just enter the new zone and returns to the login screen. I think it says "An unexpected disconnection ocurred" in the bottom. Also, the ping graph shows a 21 or more seconds delay (!).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Mar 22, 2016, 12:30:45 AM
Nice!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info