GhazzyTV - Essence Drain & Contagion (or Bane/Soulrend) Trickster [SC/HC/Uber Elder/Shaper]

I've been struggling with this build. Map bosses die incredibly slow - as do the Elder portals in maps where the Elder has a presence. Specifically the Vault Map boss takes a year to kill. I also fought Elder on a T1 map and could not do any damage to him after getting him to 2/3HP - The fight just went on and on without my chaos getting his ES down (and not bypassing it either). I've really just been using/crafting what I find.

As for clearing trash, sure the build is fun... but just about any skill can do that so I really can't justify dumping any currency into this build.

For anyone looking for affordable items, you may want to try using:

Gloomfang has life leech and +1 chain to ED which helps get the contagion propagation get going. The Implicit mana regen can also free up some passive nodes.

Cane of Unraveling is a quick and affordable weapon that gets you +level on your ED. Empower and 6S/5L will cost you a bit of Currency as well, but you're playing PoE so if you're not OK with that; I don't know what to tell ya.

I spent some currency crafting one of the new rares. Got two item rarity mods which is kinda neat. For lower zones where contagion kills everything on its own, it seems like a useful bonus.

Edit: I will be sticking with this build until lvl 90 and 20/20 gems - I do want to make that distinction because builds are never really 'great' until you've gotten all of your passives and gems to their max potential (without dropping several Ex on 21/20 gems). So I will be reserving final judgment till then.
Last edited by muzein on Dec 14, 2017, 12:41:31 PM
I recently acquired a 6L but can't afford a lvl 3 empower yet. Should I use decay or poison? Which is better for single target? This is a bit unclear and my POB is bugged

If I have a delirium dagger, and use decay gem, do they stack?
Last edited by broseidon07 on Dec 14, 2017, 3:05:34 PM
Hey guys,

Still having major ISP issues, so will make the responses VERY SHORT.

"
Badtwo wrote:
Anything you all would suggest for movement until you get shield charge? I just got to act 3 and looks like I cant get it until Siosa in the Library. Thx

Flame Dash!

"
Themasterofw wrote:
Loving the build just got all the white maps done. I am just about to go do the uber trial for patient killer. I just got the witchfire brew and was wondering how far I can go into terms of tiers. I haven't gone past tier 8 yet, I have around 4.3k health maxed resistance almost maxed with ele weakness. I am wondering when I will be unable to kill the content before I get killed :). As it stands, if I play it wrong I can die pretty easily. So what should be my next upgrade, (I have around 15 pure chaos and in currency probably 100 +) Rathpith? Or maybe my low level unique gloves; ahah but the charges ! Or maybe a delirium Sai?

Rathpith is a pretty solid upgrade tbh.

There is no limitation to this build, it's all gated behind upgrading your character which is one of it's main perks imo. Once things starts to get nasties for you, you simply upgrade more gear and/or jewels (specially with the Abyss Jewels).

"
Dear Ghazzy,

1. The skilltree for 89 points and the 'finished skill tree' appears to be still in the 3.0 version.

2. With the introduction of the Despair gem, why are you not recommending the Despair Gem over the Wither gem? The Despair gem grants increased DoT, decreases enemy chaos resistance and even deals chaos damage.

3. I am trying your build in 3.1, and I have made some modifications to the skilltree. How do you think this skilltree would compare against your skilltree?

Skilltree with 89 points: www.poeurl.com/bFQ5
Skilltree with 116 points (Finished): www.poeurl.com/bFQ9

Doublechecked the trees, they are still accurate, the changes to the tree hasn't made any differences to the approach the build is doing :)

You don't want to remove Wither for obvious reasons, and Despair is being used via Witchfire Brew.

I believe that this build has TONS of variations that all works well, it all comes down to a matter of playstyle & preference tbh, I can't determine which is best as it would be up for the player to determine which functions best for that person.

"
encore1809 wrote:
Why does everyone choose trickster over occultist for ED in this league?

Occultist is insanely strong as well, mainly for boss killing and/or low life. Trickster is easier, cheaper & smoother to start a league with which promotes this version over Occultist early on. On top of the fact that the Trickster version can be used for higher end-game boss kills as well.

"
LiberLogic969 wrote:
Ghazzy, What do you think about using the chaos version of 'Impresence' with ED? It's pretty much a permanent Witchfire brew.

Solid option, though I would personally prefer to use a rare amulet for some defensive stats myself.

"
Garyas wrote:
"
Ghazzy wrote:
@Garyas:
You back helping me out in this thread? :D
Currently racing #1 Elementalist in Hardcore, a bit hard to keep up atm! >.<

Of course :)
And grats on the #1 spot. Keep at it!

2 lvls ahead of #2, hopefully I can keep my #1 despite the god forsaken ISP issues...

"
oedipat wrote:
I theocrafted(just thoughts) with the new shaper and elder mods and the som options given by the new uniques. First of all i have to say, that the elder/shaper mods miss 100% the target of DoT. There is not one interesting damage mod, there is no pseudo 6 link, nothing. The only thing you can use is controlled destruction in 1h weapons. - > Lel. I will text ggg about that, this is just not balanced. Even trashplay-mines got a tons of buffs with the new mods. But this should not be the place to cry. This is about the goods for this build:

Impresence amulet

It gives 35% increased DoT, life and no manareservation for despair. also it grants a debuff on kill, that slows enemies and decreases their dmg by 10%. This means we need 1 socket more for blasphemy, but we got one flask slot. easy trade. The socketed despair for sure is lot stronger. and we loose the amulet slot. but there are not many good other options.

watcher's eye jewel

5% life, 5%, mana and if rolled you can have 2 interesting buffs if you use clarity(lvl 1 costs no mana, only a socket): 15% to restore 10% of mana if you use a skill / 10% of dmg is taken from mana before. But im not sure if the second mod will give us anything, because wiki says, that MoM cant be increased by other sources(so why cloak of defiance can?). Btw, if you go ES-ED-Occultist AND MoM, you can have a mod that grants 15% of your mana as ES, if you use clarity or disziplin, not sure... This is a buff for MoM-ES builds ;)

Mods:

Belts can roll increased recovery rate of life or mana. either if you have an elder or shaped belt. it can be rolled up to 20% and could be very useful for the ED-Regeneration. And it can be combined with interesting shield mods->

Shields:

the mods recover 5% life on block and recover 8% mana on block can be rolled on shaped shields. (on the same base u also can have 10% mana reservation or blockchance applied to spells). this could be good for this build, because our big regen just starts if we kill something. on single targets or if you accidentally rush in a mob, this can give you regen without kill.

Rings have no interesting mods for us. Only the 35% increased spell dmg, but they will be very expensive i guess, because this is a buff to 50% of the builds.

On gloves there are tons of good mods and the only mod effecting this build is---> blockchance. ggg, why?

Helms:

Here you can roll some helpful mods like 20% increased mana, blockchance for spells, increased area support (and 15% increased area roll). And you can roll flat mana ragen, but im not sure about the impact of this mod. It seems very rare, so it could be good. Is 8 regenerated mana a big deal?

Boots:

This is easy, you want to roll this elder mods: 10% chance to gain endurance charges on kill / increased duration support with increased skill effect duration roll(15%). easy source to get some endurance charges, you save a socket for cwdt setup and increased skill effect is good for DoTs and Debuffs.

Chest piece:

Here you have a 10% MoM again and probably again its useless. Other affix is 1+ gemlevel of skills or supports(corrupt this, put an empower in and you have lvl 6 empower, is that right? lvl 26 ed and +2 on 4 remaining supportgems.) Other mods are item rarity support+additional rarity on rare/unique enemies and 12% increased life. (+1 supportgem and %life are both elder rolls)

Weapons:

Trash. Maybe the 10% dmg per power charge on wands, but it is a wand. Other stuf like onslaught support or faster attacks on daggers and zepters can buff your movement skill, but this not a good deal compared with breath of the council.

So all in all there are some interesting mods for our survivability. This rolls are really rare, but because this build uses a lot of rare items, you could keep that in mind. I am really interested in this shield mods and how they work with MoM. The Body Armor fun is a thing for standard league with endless currency. I guess we dont see lot of corrupted +1 +1 6links with the right socket collers in this league ;)

edith: Sorry for this english. I barely have english texts on university and only learn english on netflix. So im not used to create texts in english :D

Sorry for being short on this one, but this is very nice, thank you :)

"
Leprechaun83 wrote:
Hello Ghazzy and Community,

I have tried this build as league starter in abyss and went pretty well along the way.
It´s a solid starting build, as u said very cheap and well balanced.

Now, my problem.

I have reached mapping and lvl 89 so far ... started doing T9+ maps. Still the clearspeed is fantastic but when it comes to bossfights i´m stuck! Though the build is very tanky i cant kill bosses fast enough ... every bossfight takes forever!! Some bosses i can´t even kill because they kill me before i kill them(and i´m talking about T9-T10maps).

My Setup: Tabula +1 gem, all gems 20, Breath of the council 95%chaos dmg, witchfirebrew,
rathpith globe 56% spell dmg, solid rare gear: 5,4k life , 3,4k mana , 39456k tooltip dmg over time ED: using all other buffs and debuffs ghazzy suggested!

So don´t get me wrong playing the build is very nice, but i want to reach endgame!! And atm i´m not able to kill normal atziri without dying at least one time ...
so how is this build uber viable or even shaper???
pls help me, am I doing something wrong?
because killing bosses takes forever...

regards
The Leprechaun

Hey,

Cheers!

As @Midjet is pointing out, you are lacking the sole thing that is there to help single target boss fights be smoother!

2x Spreading Rot with Allelopathy gloves!

"
Pathological wrote:
"
Midjet wrote:
@Leprechaun83

Are you using spreading rotx2 and allelopathy? In mayhem I noticed it made a pretty big difference.

Allelopathy defintely helps, but spreading rot is incredibly overestimated unless you use blight consistantly. The damage modifier only works on the hinder aspect of the blight debuff, which can only be applied to a mob that does not already have your blight debuff on it.

Ergo, on bosses (which is what it was suggested for), it will only be up for around 1.5 seconds of the entire fight, unless you are consistantly dropping blight (which you shouldn't be since it is maintained by a totem).

Allelopathy is pretty nice. Spreading rot is just not good unless blight is your clear skill, and it definitely isn't good for sustained single target damage like on bosses. This is even more the case in a league with high value stat jewels available, although whether or not any are overly good for ed is questionable. That said; it's hard to justify spreading rot even over normal well rolled jewels.

Spreading Rot is more for the safety than it is for the DMG, I would say it is absolutely worth it.

However, you do have solid points about the Abyss jewels being insanely good right now and would most likely be better than 2x Spreading Rot as of this state tbh.

"
BandeDessinee wrote:
I have a question regarding your recommendation of Death's Oath as a chest. How do you counter the 450 chaos damage over 3 seconds on kill? I can only assume maxing chaos res and / or having enough regeneration to deny that?

I was spammed with requests to add it to the build, I personally HATE it. You need to rework some details to get more passive regeneration to make sure you can sustain wearing it and even then I would still go for the +1 Tabula.

"
Pathological wrote:

People use ED to clear all of the content in the game (including guardians/shaper). It's never going to win a speed contest, but it makes up for it with extraordinary mobility and minimal required execution time.

In theory the net change from changes to wither vs. the new curse should be an overall dps gain in 3.1 (albeit at a reduction in survivability and flexibility; you basically need to use the curse realistically for high tier stuff, whereas before you could do temp chains/enfeeble if you wanted to), so.. yeah. I don't know how the damage stacks up against the previous occultist ES ed meta; they had "free" tri-curse, the brokenness that was uninterruptible ES gain with 15k+ es pools, which allowed them to go even more ham on damage elsewhere. Trickster in its current iteration is much more based around high clear-speed and less around boss killing; I imagine making an occultist version would still be better on single target boss killing. The problem is now that occultist offers almost nothing for survival, since ES is not a realistic or desirable option.

The changes to ES and MoM have basically neutered the hell out of occultist; you have to spend your mana to gain the curse that you get from occultist (which means you spend mana you would otherwise have basically as life when going mom), and going CI is very difficult and not particularly worthwhile, even with the es regen can't be interrupted mod. I imagine we'll see some reworking on the ascendancy when they go back to look at them. We don't even really see people using hybrid (life/es) at all these days, which had atleast some showing in the past; mom has really taken over that entire archetype as the dominant defense. Unfortunatley, mom and blashemy don't play well, and applying curses without blasphemy or heralds is incredibly clunky at best.

This.

"
Garyas wrote:
"
Pathological wrote:
Allelopathy defintely helps, but spreading rot is incredibly overestimated unless you use blight consistantly. The damage modifier only works on the hinder aspect of the blight debuff, which can only be applied to a mob that does not already have your blight debuff on it.

Ergo, on bosses (which is what it was suggested for), it will only be up for around 1.5 seconds of the entire fight, unless you are consistantly dropping blight (which you shouldn't be since it is maintained by a totem).

Allelopathy is pretty nice. Spreading rot is just not good unless blight is your clear skill, and it definitely isn't good for sustained single target damage like on bosses. This is even more the case in a league with high value stat jewels available, although whether or not any are overly good for ed is questionable. That said; it's hard to justify spreading rot even over normal well rolled jewels.

I have to disagree here. You don't run Blight on a totem, but Wither. You use self-cast blight in between the usual Cont, ED, Wither cycle, so it does drop off. Also, as channeling Blight can be quite dangerous against certain bosses, it will drop even more often. The uptime of the Hinder debuff definitely is way longer than 1.5s.

You can of course make a point that spreading rot only helps vs. bosses and you can have much better rare jewels for general purposes - I agree to that. But on the other hand, with all the sources of increased damage, we are probably setting somewhere around a 900% increase, so losing 45% (2x approx 35% vs 2x 13%) is also not that big a difference - compared to gaining a big buff for the hindered mobs.

All in all a matter of preference I guess. But as was mentioned and I guess we all agree: clearspeed vs trash is not an issue at all with this build, but boss fights are. So I will take anything that helps with boss fights over even faster map clear speed.

And this.

"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
"
Earthdragon88 wrote:
@ghazzy

Im sort of confused since you suggest using MoM but have a section for auras do we run the auras still or is it just for leveling ?

Should only be running a blasphemied curse (enfeeble/temporal chains... which offers damage reduction in trade of reservation) and clarity (a must have for any MoM build)

Aaaaand this.

"
ChooJeremy wrote:
Why don't we grab corruption and the chaos damage nodes whispers of Doom? Are they not good? We are already connected to them, so we don't have to spend points on traveling.

Also, how about using The Hungry Loop for a single target skill, maybe a 5L blight? The only bad news is that none of the support gems can have quality on them.

I chose defensive nodes over them for the sake of hardcore, for softcore players you can drop mana nodes for the dmg nodes :)

"
XonTrax wrote:
Hi.

In PoeBuild i see you have -20% all resist !!!
It's not accetable. !!!

What you didn't see is that there is no resistance rolls on any of the gear pieces!
Not acceptable. !!!

"
oskarkxyz wrote:
Hi there.

I am first time playing ED build and I got few questions. Could please someone answer them?

1. I am lvl 67 and it feels like I don't know where I should spend my points. When I am looking at 89points tree, I gave it everywhere... is this skill tree finished? Because I still have some points left.

2. Why do we take frenzy charges in skill tree? I don't see any use for it

3. Why we need delirium dagger? "Weapon: Your Hits inflict Decay, dealing 500 Chaos Damage per second for 8 seconds". Doesn't it mean that it works only on basic attacks?

4. I am mapping right now and I am at tier 3. Clear speed was insane before I went for maps... now I still can kill mobs with cont+ED, but it's kinda slow. What can I do about it?

5. Why Cloak of Defiance is such a good item? I can't see any pros for it. I can get much better armor with +hp bonus and resists... what I am missing about it? I don't have mana problems (still using 5link ED, getting my currency for tabula). Even Cherrubim's Maleficence looks much better for me.

Gotta go to work right now. I'll add more questions when I come back.

Best regards.

Hey,

Welcome aboard the DoT train! :D
1) There are lower point lvling trees as well
2) If you chose to run with "Swift Killer" as your first ascendancy node, the frenzy charge nodes are a great choice :) If not, skip those nodes till you do.
3) "Hits" works on anything that actually "hits". ED is cast as a projectil that "hits" which then does it's main DMG in the form of a debuff ticking DoT.
4) What's your gear looking like? Tabula?
5) CoD gives an additional 10% MoM effect, which is really nice for a defensive approach though I for some reason always opts back to using a corrupted +1 gem lvl Tabula Rasa cause it's just so damn strong for this build.

If you have more questions, keep firing, I do my best to keep up, I'm also getting help from @Garyas to answer questions!

"
SerNomeD wrote:
With a +1 tabula until what tiers can do? Is cloack of defiance the best option for chest? If you use the cloack of defiance you have to respect the MoM points in the tree or keep it for the increased mana?

You keep them for the mana nodes.
I personally always use a +1 Tabula Rasa, it's just too damn good.

"
muzein wrote:
I've been struggling with this build. Map bosses die incredibly slow - as do the Elder portals in maps where the Elder has a presence. Specifically the Vault Map boss takes a year to kill. I also fought Elder on a T1 map and could not do any damage to him after getting him to 2/3HP - The fight just went on and on without my chaos getting his ES down (and not bypassing it either). I've really just been using/crafting what I find.

As for clearing trash, sure the build is fun... but just about any skill can do that so I really can't justify dumping any currency into this build.

Gloomfang has life leech and +1 chain to ED which helps get the contagion propagation get going. The Implicit mana regen can also free up some passive nodes.

Cane of Unraveling is a quick and affordable weapon that gets you +level on your ED. Empower and 6S/5L will cost you a bit of Currency as well, but you're playing PoE so if you're not OK with that; I don't know what to tell ya.

I spent some currency crafting one of the new rares. Got two item rarity mods which is kinda neat. For lower zones where contagion kills everything on its own, it seems like a useful bonus.

Edit: I will be sticking with this build until lvl 90 and 20/20 gems - I do want to make that distinction because builds are never really 'great' until you've gotten all of your passives and gems to their max potential (without dropping several Ex on 21/20 gems). So I will be reserving final judgment till then.

Hey,

Big note on this post here;
Bosses were recently insanely buffed in terms of HP. My current #1 Elementalist lvl 94 using VD/Crema who melts most bosses still skip Vault boss cause it's too damn risky.

For boss killing with this build you either need to make sure you have everything sorted according to the guide or you need to switch to a +2 or +3 chaos gem staff which is also included in the guide to make bosses melt. The build is designed for clear speed purposes with the Blight as additional assistance vs bosses.

The Gloomfang you are presenting gives you leech, leech requires "hits" ED only has 1 "hit" which is the initial dmg which does only a fraction of your actual DPS making "leech" horrible. The ED already has a mod on itself granting you a life regeneration effect based of a % of the damage dealt by the DoT portion. That's how we "sort of leech". This is also amplified via Patient Reaper ascendancy.

Cane of the Unraveling helps as a boss killer item tbh. I would rather use a rare but if it's cheap it's fine :)

Do keep me/us updated on your progression and let us know if you need any help!

"
broseidon07 wrote:
I recently acquired a 6L but can't afford a lvl 3 empower yet. Should I use decay or poison? Which is better for single target? This is a bit unclear and my POB is bugged

If I have a delirium dagger, and use decay gem, do they stack?

Hey,

Poison or Pierce if you use Delirium dagger.

----------------

@coutoo:

Thank you :)
Guides: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/ghazzy-guide-hub
YT: https://www.youtube.com/GhazzyTV
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/ghazzytv
"
coutoo wrote:
In Turmoil I was able to clear T13 pretty good with a Skin of the Loyal and Empower 2. So I'd say with a tabula you should be able to do the same. For higher tiers you maybe want to get better defense.

I did everything up to Shaper with a +1 TR (and 21/20 ED + Lvl 4 Empower, this was in HSC though). Didn't manage to kill him, but this was my first try ever in PoE and I did not have time for more attempts due to RL stuff. So I would say you can do everything with a +1 TR - and it's by far the cheapest alternative of the end-game armors. I eventually switched to a Skin, but it is way more expensive and doesn't add a lot of defense (but end game, of course every tiny bit helps :) ).

Everything incl. Guardians was quite smooth I have to say.

@muzein: the life leech of Gloomfang doesn't really help a lot, as leech only applies to hits and the vast majority of our damage comes from the DoT. In this build, you should rely on regen instead. I would swap out that amulet for something else. Atziri's Foible is a very cheap and good alternative (lots of mana and mana regen, which is very nice for MoM - no offensive stats though).

6th gem: I'm trying Decay now, seems good so far. But did not do any in depth comparison to Poison. Used Poison last league prior to a lvl 3 Empower.
Last edited by Garyas on Dec 14, 2017, 3:58:49 PM
deleted
Last edited by Badtwo on Dec 14, 2017, 10:22:15 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what gives endurance charges for the immortal call?
"
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what gives endurance charges for the immortal call?

Nothing. You use base duration, so you don't get oneshot by physical damage, like Porcupine spikes on death.
"

Nothing. Endurance charge only increase the buff duration of imortal call. you still get the invulnerable to phys without endurance charge.
Hi,
can you recommend any of the new items that have been introduced. Some of the shaper/elder items seem pretty powerfull as you can basically craft 6 link items if you get the right mods. Also the new belts seem like a must have since the new jewels are pretty good. So just wanted to know if you would recommend any specific items/mods on the new items in the new league?
"
muzein wrote:

Your build has all the downsides you can have in my opinion. No block, no movement no blight setup and no temp-chains. Ofc you are struggling on bosses.

The blight setup really helps you to melt singletargets. In combination with wither and tempchains the movement is vry slow and you can almost facetank the most melee guys. Temp chains increases the hinder duration on blight and hinder increases the incomming dmg by 50%.

The staff might be interesting, but not for this build. Maybe with leapslam, but i dont like leapslam. the +1 corruption in tabula is almost the same, because it affects empower and ed.

If you really want to boost your dmg, then you look for the +1 to support gems in chests and vaal it ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info