[2.4] Lioneye's Avalanche - All Map Mods - 800k SingleTarget DPS

"
Knitten wrote:
I've tried to use this build (not in end-game content) and so far it was a complete waste of time and a total disappointment. Worst possible build in my entire PoE experience so far, absolutely terrible. I never had such bad experience with PoE before. Character is EXTREMELY squishy during leveling, especially in a4 cruel, even blue packs are a problem. But it's not better later on, it's probably my first char that dies in cruel lab at lvl 70.

With all the life nodes, with 50-90 life on almost every piece of equipment i can have 4k hp, but very little armor, ev or es (because build isn't viable without 6L and all i can afford in the new league is tabula).
OP's mentioning about "extreme tankiness" must be a joke. Or trolling. It's a glass cannon build at it's worst, 100% pure "corpserun the build" for me. I've died countless times before i even got to merciless and it took me x2 amount of time from usual. Even bandit lords were a problem. Granted, this might be because i don't usually play Assassin builds and my pc lags/game client crashes.
First i though "well, it's unusually shitty and HARD, but build will shine later on". So, i clenched my teeth and kept levelling and dying. I thought it's because i don't have Lioneye's bow yet and ascendancy. Not much has changed after that. I kept waiting, but there was no improvement.

OP should have mentioned that this build should only be played by those who have perfect PC, no lags and are able to dodge 100% of the attacks from mobs/bosses with ease. Or that his build isn't viable without getting 4 ascendancy points first. And if you for some reason can't finish cruel lab (like me), but spend all your passives/orbs for gear - tough luck, you're stuck.

I wish i just levelled a dual-totem templar, a melee marauder/duelist or a ranger instead, actually ANY build would have been preferable to this catastrophe. Or that someone couls give me 2 days of my life and all my destroyed nerve cells back. Now i wasted all my orbs on useless gear and jewels, and don't even have enough points to respec, nor to buy new gear. I also wasted a shitload of time, usually i would farm high tier maps after a coupe of days, now i'm still struggling with T1 maps and cruel lab(!)
How do you people find this build enjoyable is beyond me.

I also did use this build as my league starter and I havent had such a struggle.
I leveled the initial levels with blade vortex (as recommended in the build!) and it was perfectly fine. I hoarded some currency (like 20c) and then i bought Maligaros, 2 diamond rings and the bow. At lv. 66 (requirement for the bow) i transitioned to blast rain/bladefall/cascade and CoC and i was almost immediately at 80%+ Crit chance. Right now I am lv 85, trying to get the +1 Power Charge roll on the bow and maps arent any problem at all (doing T9/10 atm).

You farming deaths is an issue that was generated on your end, as it seems. Why would you level with a skill thats underwhelming unless used in a specific setup such as the one of the build? OP even said it in his guide and you can't blame him for having a hard time when you ignore certain aspects of how the build is best played out.

I played a Quill CoC last league and tried this build for essence. And it feels horrible. The cap to AS in regards to CoC made mapping very slow. Especially trash. The beauty of Blast Rain was that it procced on each mob with 4 times a cast (at 0.7 ofc) and now it procs once every 0.5 secs. At the moment I'd even say self cast is strictly better. It became especially apparent when I switched to dual wield reave. To break even you need to support both sides, the attack and the spell. Even then my Blast Rain cleared better than the combo.
Damage is enough for everything, kinda. But so is my 4-link (3L + Item Rarity) Ancestral Warchief in t13+.

Your calculations on page 53 are super way off. Like fundamentally wrong. Just look at the spreadsheet at page 1 and see how the damage spreads.
Also assuming that all waves hit is very generous. You can only reliably proc two waves. The third when all the stars align. I tested it on Vaal oversoul, probably the one with the biggest hitbox. It only procced 3 times when his legs aligned perfectly in the direction of the cast. Even with 4 hits you can at least half the damage.

Still a fun build though.
Dont know what you guys mean i am lvl 52 now on cruel i have been shiting on every pack of mob that i have encountered and every boss.You most be doing something wrong with the build if u are so squishy.
The thing about this build is to get the critical strike as high as possible the rest will fall together
alone.
This is not a 2.4 end game viable build. Theories are fine, but in practice it just doesn't work past Tier 8s and 9s. T10s just destroy this build even solo. In groups, you can't even carry your own in T5s.

If somebody has a video of doing T10+ maps, I would love to see it, as this is by far my favorite build of all time. I just can't make it work anymore.
I dont know man i am not there yet but already in cruel you can see if any build is viable for mapping later on.You most be doing something wrong i am playing right now and i am one shoting every pack that i encounter doesnt matter blue,yellow normal they are melting.
"
colt2302 wrote:
I dont know man i am not there yet but already in cruel you can see if any build is viable for mapping later on.You most be doing something wrong i am playing right now and i am one shoting every pack that i encounter doesnt matter blue,yellow normal they are melting.

Lol..you can't even remotely judge map viability in CRUEL, c'mon now.

I was one shotting packs up to T5 maps, then T8s and T9s were a real struggle once you start getting harder mods on them, and T10 are just not fun to do anymore. In groups, it is painful.
OK..then play another build then! and stop complaining about this one loool..
Not complaining just informing people to not waste their time.
Last edited by Melkrow on Sep 12, 2016, 9:47:35 AM
Hello, I wanted to give my review of this build since the last one (Knitten) doesn't say much more than "it sucks as leveling build" and I didn't see many people talking about their experience with it in 2.4 (the OP not being well updated and leveling-documented IMO). I'm still doing low tier maps atm but took a long time working on the items and gems to see how everything works and understanding it in its depth (I'm pretty casual on PoE and do only HC so dying isn't an option. I rush a lot but not if I'm not sure of what I'm doing). I might update or do a new post for higher-tier maps experience.

TL;DR : Fun and visually appealing build with a good damage output (<T8 maps, gonna update for higher), but moderately expensive and pretty risky/not that tanky (despite what OP's saying). Stick to self-cast Bladefall before having enough stuff and level (~70) for this build, I MEAN IT.

Leveling experience and tips

Leveling was really easy being a risk-player (always 4-5 level behind to maximize xp) playing with a basic Bladefall>Spell Echo>Controlled Destruction>Faster Casting>Added Fire Damage>Added Cold Damage build (Ethereal Knives then Blade Vortex until Bladefall). It's quite easy and noob to hardcore-gamer friendly.

Just use Whirling Blade>Faster Attacks>Fortify and/or Lightning Warp>Less Duration>Faster Casting with a Hatred and CwDT>Immortal Call>Increased Duration(>Phase Run/anything you like) on your other pieces as you level and you're good to go for level ~70 pretty fast. Don't try to switch to Lioneye's Avalanche build before being sure you have the items you need. DON'T. I will explain.

Switching to Lioneye's Avalanche (requirements and tips)

OK now you had your load of fun with Bladefall, are near lvl 70 (stop at Merciless Crystal Veins and pex Dried Lake / T1-2 maps if needed).

Be ready to do a lot of trade to be able to switch to the actual build. Up to you trying it before but I tried switching level 62 with a pretty good crit stuff and it was quite a pain. Here is what I can summarize and recommend from my experience and testing so you don't have to try out and maybe die failing.

I didn't do the maths but I tried A LOT of different links (1 to 3 spells on CoC with divers support gems) and itemization on the early build-switching. I still can't decide on what to use, so I feel free to try different setups by yourself (plus this is pretty fun being able to switch like that). Controlled Destruction might be better once the crit cap is reached/exceeded but I'm not there yet to try (will update when tested or if OP updates).

What you ABSOLUTELY need :

Basically you want AT LEAST 30% crit on unbuffed Blast Rain before going anywhere. Critical Multiplier will be your source of damage once you can reliably crit because if you don't, you're gonna do no damage at all and that might cost you your life.

Here is a little guide to what items I used and you can aim to start (best to worse for linked ones):

Weapon :
Spoiler

Chest :
Spoiler
Tabula is the way to go until you can afford a decent 6L with life + resistances (5L might be playable but meh, just do it you have no other choice or a 6L Bow). 6L Belly of the Beast is absolutely BIS but that's not within anyone's reach.

Head :
Spoiler
I recommend

but you can go for a rare >70 life + resistances.

Gloves :
Spoiler
Maligaro are the best early on to get crit cap IMO, Shadows Mist are also good and fun - I don't know how valuable Rampage is tbh, but it's fun to me -, Facebreaker are probably the best only if you're crit/as capped but even there I think there might be a better way to optimize the stats.

Other equipments :
Spoiler
Find Rings with life(>50) + crit chance (>20) + crit mutliplier (>10) + resistances (amap)
Find Amulet with crit chance (>20) + crit multiplier (>15) + some stats/added damage/resistances (you might need some dex on it to wear Lioneye's Glare)
Find a good Quiver with life (>70) + crit chance (>20) + crit multiplier (>15) + some stats/added damage/resistances (once again, try getting some dex)
Complete with Boots and Belt (and Head if you don't want/have Starkonja's) with good life and resistances to get merciless resistances caps (75-100%+) and 4k+ life

Jewels :
Spoiler
Get Cobalt Jewels with >6% life + >10% crit chance (multiplier good too but early on I recommend chance), good third mode is BIS but you'll have time for that later

Flasks :
Spoiler
Granite + Basalt are much needed IMO, your main concern not getting OS'd on fail evades when mobs are close to you for some reason.

As for Links, you NEED
Blast Rain 6L-3G3B (Blast Rain+CoC+Bladefall+3B),
3+L-3R (CwDT-Immortal Call-Increased Duration) on which you can add i.e. 1G for Phase Run (or for Vaal Haste, don't really like it personnaly though),
2+L-1R1B (Blasphemy+Warlord's Mark) on which you can add 1G for Hatred.
Add a 4L-4G (Blink/Mirror Arrow+Faster Projectiles+Faster Attacks) for movement
and a 4L-3B1G (Faster Casting-Orb of Storms-Power Charge on Crit-Ice Golem) which is the less needed (just be sure to have your 1B for Golem, which is good to have linked as 2B Fasting Casting)

Gameplay tips for CoC/Ranger first-timers

It took me some time (as a first-time CoC AND Bow build player) to figure out how to play this build. I can't repeat too much how crit is important to get it good to play, I really wasn't expecting that much requirements for it to be remotly viable. Once there, this is a really fun experience though!

Orbs of Storm is used to quickly build or refresh charges, but you can also just spam Blast Rain if you're in a spam mood. I don't know if there is another use to this spell here, it might give some more DPS especially on bosses but that's pretty much worthless IMO.

You just have to make use of Blink and Mirror Arrow (as well as your beloved Ice Golem) to make sure to stay alive and keep busy packs and bosses. DO NOT TRY TANKING. If anything dangerous and/or numerous comes close, take your distances, lure, or flask in last resort. I'm playing with almost BIS items with 5k HP and tend to get bursted down easily to 20% if I get a bit cocky ON LOW TIER MAPS.

Other than that, just spam your Blast Rain and see the world burn, shatter and explode all at once. Hehe.

Here is my stuff and stats atm if you're curious

(don't know how to link jewels, sorry)

Unbuffed Stats (no golem/auras) :
4k5 HP + 350 Shield - 203 (3%) Armour - 1613 (23%) Evasion - 104%Fire 111%Cold 105%Light -28%Chaos in Merc
+12% MS
Blast Rain (lvl 15) 36.58% crit chance, 358% crit multiplier, 2.19 AS : 1323.88 DPS
Bladefall (lvl 16) 2203.26 damage
Glacial Cascade (lvl 15) 1501.56 damage
Arc (lvl 16) 1369.03 damage

I've also got to mention I changed a bit the tree to remove Whirling Barrier (blocking doesn't work without Rumi's Concoction or Rearguard, buy I can still respec if I feel it's needed) and take Serpent's Stance with a second Lioneye's Fall. One could also get more life around Constitution instead also probably.

EDIT : As of lvl 76 with lvl 17 gems, I calculated doing ~40k DPS fully charged. Still missing some important crit multiplier nodes so that might go exponential. We're pretty far from the 800k mentioned from OP for 2.4. It's pretty simple tho, if the build was doing, let's say 1.000k DPS pre-2.4 with 30 CoC activations per second (10 per spell as mentionned in OP), you just divide by 30/6 = 5 the dps so you have 200k max.
I'm pretty much end-game stuffed and feeling VERY squishy with 5k HP, 3% Armour and barely 18% Evasion. Can't do Merciless Malachai at all for now (and the defensive part ain't gonna get better so.. gonna need to 2 shot him somehow later), <T8 maps feel pretty easy overall except for hard Essences. T10+ update asap.
I think I'll give up on going for Serpent's Stance and some damage to get more life (as in the OP tree) or go for Acrobatics instead (might not be a good idea tho), it's pretty sad to not be able to get important damage nodes juste because the build is so squishy :/
Last edited by Zwyk on Sep 15, 2016, 11:03:48 AM
I'm lvl 87 assassin running this build and I can say this build got nerfed the fuck down,
I CAN'T DO T11, the damage is so godamn low,
I feel like the amount of procs from blast rain are getting eaten like crazy,
Right now my crit is 85%(still corrupting lioneye's bows for +1 power charge) and my multi is 597%,
I don't know if I need to change the noxious strike and toxic delivery to ambush + assassinate(still haven't done uber, well low DPS!) to somehow deal more damage due to multipliers,
I already dodged the phys reflect fact, well its not horrible at all with CWDT+IC, Basalt flask.
I have 19 lvl gems right now and Im thinking of changing the crit multi gem to empower when I hit 20 lvl gems to somehow test new damage, because the 0.500ms on coc is literally killing it, I'd be okay if it was 0.250ms or 0.200ms but 2 spells*3 per 1 second is just horrible,
noticing the fact glacial cascade and bladefall hits 2 or 3 times makes it a bit different but still,
I have 5 rares jewels right now with 1.spell+2.phys+3.lightning/3.area on all. And doing a... enormous 189.7k max possible DPS! that according to the fact glacial cascade and bladefall can hit 2-3 times per cast. Woah! Insane might say, but it's jack shit in the play, the boss at t10, lets say quay, don't feel shit when hitting him. I don't know guys but should really ring GGG's bell to buff CoC to be great again to atleast 0.200ms.
I'll tell what's going on when I'll get lvl 20 gems trigger gems and switch crit dmg with empower lvl 3, maybe corrupted 4, to see what can change.
First Mirror drop at t8 pier map in legacy league :D
Second Mirror drop at t16 promenade map in delirium league :D
Gods knows what happened in affliction league... :L
Last edited by Hucuchill on Sep 17, 2016, 7:00:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info