[2.3 Video Guide] CoC, Quill Rain, INSANE DPS Assassin [HC/SC Viable]

In case you wanna play this build in the 2-week race, just remember that it requires that 6-link (a tabula will suffice) and quick access to the Deadly Infusion ascendancy point to work properly. It can be done, but it is not something I recommend for beginners.
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
In case you wanna play this build in the 2-week race, just remember that it requires that 6-link (a tabula will suffice) and quick access to the Deadly Infusion ascendancy point to work properly. It can be done, but it is not something I recommend for beginners.

I will do it :). Seems nice !
what did you get for bandits?
nvm!

found it hidden there!
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
Last edited by tobes111 on May 7, 2016, 12:39:06 AM
Hi all,

Does freezing pulse could be included instead of pierce?
I mean, 3 spells would deal more damage than just spark + ethereal with pierce?

Also, + 2 mana is enough to sustain the build? i´m using thief´s torment, so i dont know would be without that huge + mana and + life on hit.

Also, facebreaker or another crit chance is a good option here? alongside rat´s nest i could take off the Ungil's Harmony amulet and put something else more flexible.
"Choose not to believe"
The damage of this build is really but really but really insane, i love it for this BUT, the defense, instead, is really bad, i'm level 77 and running maps tier 4-5-6, i often get one-shotted by the damn boss of the map

PS: Instead of Pierce I put Bladefall for more damage, I think that's better
Last edited by Ronalll on May 14, 2016, 3:27:53 PM
Well, Im actually level 71 with my Assasin, and im really amazed about the insane clear speed and the INSANE Dps. Already with lvl 61 I was able to deal with T6 maps....

The problem which i see the most there, is that people cant get over 70% etc. Guys, dont use a Quill Rain until maybe level 60-72. Just use a High Crit Decimation or Harbringer Bow with DPS and CRIT.
Already with lvl 48 I had over 60% crit. with lvl I got over 90 with 3 Power Charges. With lvl 66 I did the Labs Normal and Cruel and I must say, without the Ascendency points I had at lvl 68 only 57% Crit with a Quill Rain, with a Rats Nest, Maliagros and Unqils. I would say that you guys can feel free to when switch from a Crit bow to a Quill Rain. But i would prefer to level some higher, maybe until you get the Life, DMG and Frenzy Charges from the Duelist area. And pick the Quill Rain ONLY, if you have already taken Unstable Infusion and Deadly Infusion. This boosts your Crit and also DPS a lot!! And make sure to get some decent Diamond rings, which gives you Resists and also Life.

The only problem I see in this build is in my eyes the problem with Life.
Somehow ive got only 2,7k HP on lvl 71. It isnt actually the best Life pool, but it is ok.... the good thing is i have some life notes in the future :P
Actually the 2,7 k Life isnt the problem. If you play safe and dont play like a really full retard, which is pushing like a retard.. then you will do very well with this build.

My problem is that ive got many issues with Lightning resistence. I dont really know how i can fix that, ive tried with rings belts etc, nothing helped. I have to look out to fix that problem...

Overall i wouldnt say that the build is HC Viable like this. It has got too many issues with Life. For Players which want to play Hardcore i would prefer to go over the tree, and get much more life in the tree instead of maybe dmg, you will need it.

For everyone which want to make this build, just do it. It isnt that expensive and really great. You can aswell farm maps with it, cause the clear speed is INSANE. You can do maps in around 1-2 min. GJ Lifting Senpai.

I will nolife this build hard for now, if anyone have any question to it, then just feel free to ask me ingame under TeorsCoCer

Greetings,
Teors

Do You Even Nerds Bro, Bro?
Hey Exiles...

I finally got this build up and running and figured it was time to chime in with my thoughts. First, this build rocks! I was shocked (pun intended) at how much DPS is pumps out and how fast it clears packs. Holy Mary mother of God!

So I had an 87 Shadow that I hadn't spec'd into anything yet since last reset and used him. Here's my gear:

I stole this 6 link legacy Lightning Coil from another character whose build turned out not to be as good as I had hoped. I must agree with several previous posters that a LC makes a huge difference to the build's survivability. Coloring it to BBGGGG was a chore even though it is only two off-colors. Trying to get the other 4 green on a strength/Dexterity hybrid piece was harder than anticipated. It took me 1400 chromes before I got it. That was doing Vorici bench - 2 blue sockets for 25 chromes. I think I may have done 4 tries at 2 blue and 1 green for 100 chromes but gave up on that quickly. My advice: Use a coil if at all possible but it would be easier to chrome a 6 link Quill Rain than the LC. I just already happened to have a 6 link LC and my Quill Rain is not. Socketed here is the main attack setup Barrage, Pierce, CoC, Increased Crit Chance, EK and Spark.

Using a Quill Rain with projectile speed on the higher side is nice. Stuff gets killed several screens away. Kind of funny when you hear the sound for a good loot drop and then have to go on a treasure hunt to find it. Here I run Frenzy, GMP, Curse on Hit, Assassin's Mark. In a separate 2 link I have Herald of Ice and Life Leech.

I have Anger, Grace, Blink Arrow and Faster Attacks slotted in my Rat's Nest. It was easy to chrome so no issues there. I switch which of these two auras I run depending on the situation. I can't run both together, obviously.

Standard Drillneck

These are boots that were self-found. Ideally, I would prefer to use pure evasion boots with similar stats but using these saved on the budget for upgrades for other slots and since they are hybrid Dex/ES it made coloring them a bit easier. I run a level 5 CWDT setup here. CWDT, Enfeeble, Arctic Breath and GMP. I'm not sure how I feel about AB here. I guess it does its job but I've wondered if there any advantage to it over say Ball Lightning or Ice Spear. Maybe I've just never liked the spell effect for AB.

These gloves are probably my least favorite item I'm wearing. I bought these last and just needed them to be able to provide the remaining lightning resists I needed as well as enough strength so I could spec out of the one +30 strength node I had taken. I also made sure they were STR/DEX hybrid since I knew my other CWDT setup would go here and needed RRRG. Coloring was easy. Here I use a level 4 CWDT, Immortal Call, Increased Duration and Ice Golem.

Another (of the very few) decent self-found items I've had drop. Nice life and resists - al you really need here. I've considered dropping a Divine on it for some additional movement speed but I simply hate the fact that the range is 1-5 increased movement speed. It should be 3-5 for a Divine in my opinion. My luck I'll get the 1% and be ticked off every time I see it on my belt LOL.

This amulet I bought for another build a long time ago. I decided to work it in because of the Crit Chance and Multi, life and much needed cold resists. The mana regen probably helps in some small way but not something I would have gone out of my way to get here.

Another ring I had in my stash. Plenty of needed resists, life, accuracy, evasion all seemed to fit with the build so I used it. Ideally, a diamond ring would be better (although even the small loss of resists would have been problematic to make up). At least I have some on my amulet.

and lastly...

My standard LC companion Elreon ring. I crafted this myself. -8 mana cost, lots of lightning resists, life, and the only other decent affix you can apply - % evasion. Basically, there's 3 EX+ tied up in the ring but having the Elreon affix really feels necessary.

I think I went with something close to LiftingNerd's recommended flasks although I didn't find my first Basalt flask until the other day when I was putting the finishing touches on the build.

I have 3 jewel slots but only 2 filled at the moment - still looking for another good one. Currently using:

Volley Fire and another with 18% evasion, 2 mana gained on enemy hit, 12% projectile damage and 15% physical damage with bows (I know, doesn't have much impact but it was already on the jewel and I would have got it without that being on there anyways) :)

My tree is pretty close (if not exact) to Lifting's tree although I still have a few life nodes to pick up.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAAMeBAcFLQW1Bx4NjQ3RDkgQkhEvEZYWvx9BIG4hdiM2I_Yk_SaVKgsqWysKLR8uUzBxMHwyMjY9N9Q6QjpYPs9DMUV8R35JUUp9S3hMs0z_TZJOKlAwUUdS7FMQVUtVhVXGWhpbr13yYeJirGNDZU1qQ2sXbIxwUnTtdct_xoJeg9uGzod2idOMNo19jX6Nv5UglS6Xl52qoqOjiqR4pcu0OLTFvG-86r02vea-p8BUwTPB1cHzwuzDM82Y0B_Tb9Qj2Ybawdte3aje-OOE45_lGedU6mLrY-0_7g7v6_DV-_X8xf_e?accountName=urgatorbait&characterName=Rakhent

My Ascension is what is recommended in the OP. I would note that getting those makes a HUGE difference to the build. Get them as soon as you are able.

In summary, the build is fantastic. Admittedly, I have not done any high level maps yet but plan to very soon. I have no experience into level 87 yet and figured that was a good time to run a bunch of lab runs. So far lab runs on merciless have been pretty easy but for some reason I had 2 wipes this morning. One was carelessness and the other was from a one-shot from Izaro. Usually he is no problem but maybe the planets aligned for him on that one hit. Anyways, I definitely recommend the build and good luck to any who decide to give it a go.

Safe hunting...
Last edited by urgatorbait on May 15, 2016, 3:53:01 PM
Hey CoC Barrage Bros...if you have a Voltaxic Rift (4L!!) you can alter this build a bit and melt things with Chaos + dots.

I leveled with LNB's exact build and followed exact tree, but I got a Voltaxic Rift early 80's and now I have switched the build around a bit to accommodate it, no more ele Reflect from Lightning (still waiting to swap out Anger and HoI for Wrath and HoT to go all lightning) and the Chaos damage is melting things. I also do legit Phys damage from my bow now so leech is much much easier (no mana problems, only need leech one on one jewelry piece).

The build feels a little slower until you get 4 frenzy charges up for attack speed...it doesn't spam as fast as Quillrain but it appears to hit harder so I need less spam. At 92% crit chance I usually only need 1-2 Barrage and everything is melting to Chaos shock and my functional defense seems to be much better...I am killing even faster and nothing is getting close to me. I can't quantify this, the only observation I am going by is my health pool seems to change much less frequently. I think I am getting actual health leech now as well since no Quillrain.

Gear
Spoiler
Jewelry is crappy...will be optimized soon along with re-rolling 6L for better resists so I can get more attack stats on rings/ammy

Tree (exact same except 2x nodes)
Spoiler
My tree is exact same as LNB's except for an extra 2x pierce nodes. I take the 2x "5% pierce, 8% projectile damage" nodes (which are really +13% projectile damage + 5% pierce with Drillneck!)

The biggest change I made is that I swapped out the Pierce gem for Poison gem, because Barrage, Spark, and EK will all apply Poison and they all hit together, and Poison stacks (unlike incinerate, shock, etc).

Without the Pierce gem in 6L, I took the full Pierce node cluster for 50% pierce, and using the unique jewel Poacher's Aim for "+15% pierce, +10% projectile damage" bringing my pierce back up to 65% total. So I lose 25% damage via Drillneck (65% vs 90%) but get to keep EK AND Poison...this seems worth it to me, especially since EK applies poison (only Chaos and Phys damage can apply poison).

Another easy swap is HoI for HoT: Add lightning to attacks/spells and global lightning damage buff. No brainer.

Loss of Projectile Speed / Range from Quillrain
The Projectile Speed from Winds of Change helps /w the loss from Quill...can't wait to get 20% quality Spark! (+40% proj speed) to really get that range back up there. I don't mind the loss of off-screen kill b/c I tend to go slow so I don't miss loot and so I don't wreck myself haha.

Biggest question / next change to try
One thing I have seen earlier in this thread is people swapping out EK for Ball Lightning...this would eliminate Phys reflect for the most part (except from Barrage) but I am hesitant to give up EK for the close range damage it deals...I think the arc of EK's projectiles + close range + knockback go a long way towards functional defense and helping kill the closest mobs first . That will be my next big test (EK --> Ball Lightning)...would also swap Anger for Wrath in this case since all Lightning/Chaos damage.

Thanks for the build LNB!!! This is the highest I have ever leveled in a league. Lvl 85, 5K life, ele resists capped, currently strolling through T9/10 maps building my pool.
Last edited by Halezor on May 16, 2016, 1:06:57 PM
I placed rank 18 Assassin with this build in the PFBSC 2 week race.
First race ever, thanks for the build.
Last edited by RecklessInTx on May 22, 2016, 6:31:18 PM
I had the most fun in a while playing this build.It has minimum requirments and can do up to the highest tier maps.Could be also done as first build. Made it to lvl 93 on the 2 Week SC ~30+ on my class

Gear (crit 90%+)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info