[2.2, PHC, Deadeye] Asta's "Chain Frostblader", Block/Armor based, 40-50k+ DPS [Vids][~5 Ex Budget]

Ascendant, welcome!

So many good builds outside there, but this is one i defenitly wanted to test. It utilizes Bringer of Rain combined with Lioneye's Remorse and Iron Reflexes to build up decent defences against attacks. However, via swap you can also achieve maximum spellblock. Frostblades with chain can also hit up to 15 targets, which gives you a very decent AoE.

Keep in mind, no matter what you are doing, skilling, buying..your DPS will be strictly dependend on your weapon. So in general i do not recomment this build if you really want to race in the first 2 Weeks on the ladder.

Why should i play this build ?
- Good clearing [See Vids]
- 65 Attackblock and 10k armor, combined with 40-50k DPS (+ Chain/MSplash) and 5.5k HP
- Can swap for max spellblock
- Can swap in Melee Splash for an absolutely AoE overkill ;)
- Can swap Forty for more tankiness

Why shouldn't i play this build?
- Melee, i do not recommended it for newer players (you really know what mobs are capable of doing first!)
- Distance is not fully safe (Volatile x-Blood, have an eye on that!)
- Strongly dependend on your Weapon
- Chaining projectiles that are going offscreen can freeze your screen.

1.0 Ascendancy Class
When to go for the Ascendancy ?
This is really up to you. I did my last at Lv78. But as usual, in PoE stuff becomes easier if you experienced that content more often. So, if you feel comfortable, you can do it a lot earlier.

Stats i would recommend newer HC player:
- for norm: 2k HP, maxed out res, at least (!) 3k DPS
- for cruel: 3.5k HP, maxed out res, at least 10k DPS
- for merci: 5k HP, maxed out res and defences, 20k DPS (absolute minimum DPS!)

What class we choose ?
Deadeye - Ricochet (+1 Chain) and Far Shot (1.3 multiplier after travelling)

1.1 Intro
After the huge block nerfs, i never touched a block build again. My first chars i builded in PoE, were pretty much all based around block. This is because i came also from D2, where usually played a Soso with a "Spirit" Shield and i used the stat dex to max out my block chance.
With the new classes, which do give us a lot of utility and damage, i just thought i might give it a shot again with a block build. Since i wanted to go also for a phys based one, i choose Bringer of Rain. It offers a nice DPS boost, we dont need to 6L and it provides us with some block chance.

1.2 Aoe/Skill Gems Discussion
I want to clearify here my choices of gems with Frostblades and what are the disadvantages. Since we are using Bringer of Rain Melee Phys and Faster Attacks are set. 4 Gems left, one for Multistrike, one for Skill one for WED (We have a 40% conversion, so its worth it with the added elemental DMG)

One Gem is leaving and like i already mentioned, you can use Fortify (Def), MSplash (better Aoe), Added Fire (better Single Target). However, if you start using this gem, you'll notice especially while you are leveling up following scenario:
Note: Angle of the homing blades is less then 180°!
Spoiler

This is really annoying, if you do not 1 shot mob instantly, which is kinda hard as a one-hand without crit. Thus, i generally recomment you, to using Melee Splash. It creates an addition radius around the hitted mob.
Mobs in chain range getting hit by the splash AND the projectiles (+ the chaining). However, for tanky bosses, just swap in Added Fire. For the hard ones just take Fortify, which adds a fourth layer of defence (Block, Armor, Blind, Forty).

1.3 Passive (Bandits: HP, IAS, Frenzy Charge)

1.4 Gems 'n Stuff
Spoiler

Armor: n/a
Shield: Cwdt - Enfeeble - Tempest Shield
Helm: Weapon Elemental Damage - Multistrike - Added Fire - Skill // MSplash or Forty swap
Boots: Hatred - Herald of Ash
Gloves: Blood Magic - Whirling Blades - Fortify - Faster Attacks

1.5 Flasks
Spoiler

1.6 Gear 'n Stuff

Spoiler

Swap:

Yes! I do not have enough currency to max it out at the moment :P (Gloves are crap[no ias, flat phys], Ring/Belt is selfcraftet, the other one is selffound..)

1.7 Map Section
Spoiler

Still testing when and where and what to swap

2.0 Character Sheets
Spoiler

Offence
Spoiler

Defence
Spoiler

3.0 Player Suggestions and Ideas
Spoiler

4.0 Vids
Spoiler

Gorge run, clean, ~3 Minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0mFPnonqw&feature=youtu.be

Crematorium, -max/no regen/add proj/add totem/onslaught
https://youtu.be/Jki4qbGjkDM

4.1 My other builds i currently have an eye on.
Spoiler

[2.2, HC, Gladi] Asta's Max Block 1H Sword Reaver (first Draft)
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1594153

[2.2, Theorycraft] Elementalist, Lightning Caster Build with MoD, 60+ Penetration
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1614329

[2.2, HC] Lv90+ Asta's "Crit Ele WRipper", 30k GMP-Chain IceS, Eva/PAcro/VP [~10 Ex Budget][Vids]
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1569753

[2.1, HC] Asta's "Lioneye's Archery" - A High Armor/HP Tornado Shot Archer
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1398447

Best Regards and Enjoy!
Asta
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on Mar 14, 2016, 12:32:32 PM
Last bumped on Apr 1, 2016, 11:04:14 AM
looks really cool, always liked frost blades
would you mind adding a leveling tree / section?
Added some infos for developing the tree under the passive tree section

added crema map with -max/no regen and other mods

What are your thoughts on using Varunastra in this build?
Its a good starter weapon, that's it.

For truly min/maxin you should aim for a 300 DPS weapon with high attackspeed.

I usually get cancer if i use a 1.3 APS weapon with Multistrike ;)

When do u swap out for spell block o.O. have u ever need it?
"
Aoinoue wrote:
When do u swap out for spell block o.O. have u ever need it?

On maps for Bosses:
Residence T9
Volcano, Necropolis T10
Academy, Crematorium T11
Waterways T13
Shrine (first form), Palace T14

Occasionally for Perandus Chests and Exiles.

For starters, you have to treat frostblades as molten strike therefore the melee phys doesnt scale the proj damage, secondly the melee splash only applies on the initial hit those are 2 waisted support gems basicly, the dps tooltip is only the initial hit.

EDIT:
I would use slower proj instead of bringer of rain and just run a standart helmet + body armour setup, then run slow proj + wed + ms + cold pen + frost blades (5l) + fa or added cold (6l)
Just what future the Designer of the universe has provided for the souls of men I do not know, I cannot prove. But I find that the whole order of Nature confirms my confidence that, if it is not like our noblest hopes and dreams, it will transcend them.
Last edited by here2peer on Mar 16, 2016, 6:53:35 AM
"
here2peer wrote:
For starters, you have to treat frostblades as molten strike therefore the melee phys doesnt scale the proj damage, secondly the melee splash only applies on the initial hit those are 2 waisted support gems basicly, the dps tooltip is only the initial hit

About Melee Splash:

I didn't said anything else. I clearly said it creates an additional radius at the hitted target and thus, those targets getting hit by the AoE of MSplash and the releasing projectiles and the chaining projectiles. This is a substantial AoE.

About Melee Phys:

This is true and i also didnt said that the projectiles getting scaled with it. But consider, that neither "Far Shot" or "%inc Projectile Damage" is included in the tooltip.

You saying Melee Phys is wasted. Im saying its godly to use for single target, since we have already a splash radius + chaining projectiles, no one ever would increase the projectiles damage further.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info