SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

Sign me in.

I have done the lab on all 3 difficulties with one char on softcore. Then I switched to hardcore to test a different build. Entered the lab on normal and even before the first izarro fight, I get a golden door - I just quit. Sorry, but I dont enjoy a chore, I leave this to my fellow masochists...

.. and since I play because of the new possibilities of the ascendancy classes, I doubt, I will come back and play a lot until this has changed.
Last edited by LanPirot on Apr 11, 2016, 8:00:52 AM
Spoiler
"
Dos_Fafner wrote:

"
Regulator wrote:

Still refusing to adress the issue presented here, similar to neglecting FACTS.

If my arguments were not based on truth i wouldnt even take the time to make the OP. If my argments werent based on truth nobody would support this. If my arguments werent based on truth people would have rebutalled them long time ago. Still no valid answer to those, cause its simple YOU CANT DISMISS THE TRUTH.

This is all false. People support lies everyday; support for a statement neither validates the statement nor provides it with tangible evidence. Your whole thread is an opinion. There is no basis in "fact" or "truth" when discussing an opinion. Simply put: An opinion is never wrong, but it is also never "right" per say. I have seen multiple rebuttals in this thread regarding your so-called truths and they coincide with my own opinion. The only truth to take away from this is that GGG also appears to be in agreement with us currently.

Again, have some gratitude for the work that GGG put into the new content and realize that while their vision might not coincide with yours (or mine) it is their game you are playing. The AC points are optional (100% factually optional as you do not need to clear the lab or unlock these points to play the game AT ALL) and they were added with an optional side area that took months to develop as well as a substantial financial investment. Rather than complain about not liking part of the content you should try to focus on what you do like. I like the AC points; I hate the lab. Instead of whining, I run the lab as little as possible and glory in the wonderful sensation of currently over powered AC classes.

I think you are way too confused mate and ive made it clear way to many times. My opinion is that i dislike the labyrinth content based on the UNDISPUTED FACTS aka TRUTH presented in the OP followed with a suggestion. The suggestion and my opinion on the lab are ofcourse mine (!), the facts about the labyrinth that my opinion is based and affected from is THE SIMPLE TRUTH. And yes thats why nobody can rebuttal those, thinking that anyone has, is like believing that the earth is flat.

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
The sole purpose of this post is to show how things TRULY are, support what some claim to be just arguments instead of the truth. My quotes here are the five paragraphs from the opening post in this thread. Enjoy

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
For starters its the first time in an expansion that GGG gated such content. With "such" i mean immaterial content aka the ascendancy points that feel way too important, personal and flavourful for character customization. After all this is an ARPG game where min-maxing and character creation/optimization matter a ton.

Path of Exile wiki - All the information about every expansion so far, in short, GGG has released 4 expansions so far

Sacrifice of the Vaal - Atziri gated items
Forsaken Masters - Masters gated item customization mechanic (crafts)
The Awakening - added Jewel sockets in the tree FOR EVERYONE, new CORE content, Lockstep
Ascendancy - Lab gated item customization mechanic (enchants), gated items (uniques + treasure chest), gated ASCEDANCY POINTS

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
Even though gating is a dick move, its sometimes needed to make something feel more important. What is the problem though here is that GGG decided that the gate is a completely different game inside PoE. A series and combination of 80' arcade games with 90' action-adventure, aka Indiana Jones meet PoE meet Contra. This has the negative effect of alienating many players who feel excluded from this expansion because they do not find that - obviously different - playstyle fun and/or engaging. PoE can have experimental content, thats fine from and for everyone, but gating something so important behind that is a dumb move from the company

Indiana Jones : Spike Trap
2:50:00 - Lava Floor
3:34:00 - Puzzle to progress
3:58:35 - Spike Trap
3:58:50 - Another Trap

Prince of Persian : Guillotine Trap(not currently in PoE)
10:23 - Timed Cranks
15:44 - Timed Cranks + Spike Traps
25:03 - Using Leap Slam to pass over Spike Traps

Go and check in each video the timestamps. The links might not work correctly but the timestamps are ok

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
Guess what? there is more. GGG labeled the labyrinth as hard, difficult, skill-based content that will prove to be an alternate end-game. Well they couldnt be more wrong. First of all there is no difficulty issue whatsover, maybe some feel izaro is overtuned for his level but thats easily countered with overleveling or knowing the game mechanics. Second the only skill that someone needs, is to know how to press quicksilver pots or use movement skills. Wait, see pattern of the trap, quicksilver pull lever, and level cleared (just like playing hardcore mario).

Path of Exile: Ascendancy (News Coverage)
You can check every video or article there to see the valitidy of my claims. If you do not have the time to do so, here are some quotes. Take into account how these quotes support also the previous truth.

"The Labyrinth is assembled as if it were a Roguelike game, Wilson said. According to Wilson, each Labyrinth run should take about 45 minutes to an hour"

"Path of Exile's free new Ascendancy expansion looks roguelike-like"

"The Labyrinth leans heavily on the new traps, with complicated patterns that remind me as much of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time"

"The labyrinth is a marathon of horrors, as players will need to set aside an average of 45-60 minutes to complete it. This will be one of the first additions that will introduce roguelike elements to Path of Exile"

Those were the initial estimations, but since you can fucking cheese your way through with quickisilvers, movement speed on gear and movement skills the time has gone down by a lot, to the point where people claim to do lab runs in under five minutes.

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
But it gets worse. In a game like PoE where the skill tree and character creation is the main attraction surely people's choices must be (and are) very important. Well... labyrinth and especially traps say FUCK YOUR CHOICES, if x person used 50points on his basic skill tree to get hp and armour while y player used 20 points for hp and armour, regarding traps the person with the less hp has actually an easier time in case he gets hit by a trap. WHAT???? How is that possible you may ask, well its easy, healing pots restore higher percentage to the player with the less flat hp pool. Yeah that happens, and its even worse for certain hybrid or pure ES characters. Ofcourse one's players damage and movement choices are unaffected by the labyrinth. So traps ignore and negate specific mechanics while they allow others to trivilize them.So yeah very well thought and fair system.. not.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Trap Damage is relative to your HP/ES, similar to Righteous Fire. No matter how much HP you have, standing in the middle of a trap like a doofus will get you killed in no time.

"
Vipermagi wrote:

Worth noting: most traps seem to deal Damage over Time, dealing more Damage the closer you are to the center of it.

I couldnt find more info on the matter (since you know GGG likes to keep things hidden) but those two quotes from the master Vipermagi are more than enough. Basically since most traps deal percentage damage over time, every skill point on the tree that is spend on armour,evasion,dodge,block, HP, ES, endurance charges is rendered COMPLETELY USELESS. In contrary every movement speed node, damage node, HP regeneration node are not in any way affected.

Spoiler
"
Regulator wrote:
Its pretty obvious that the labyrinth is dividing the community and for a lot of right reasons. If we take into account PoE's notorius performance issues the matter gets even worse.

That is not an argument directly for labyrinth but for the game in general, and since it happens that the mechanics of the lab are unforgiving it had to be mentioned. I do not believe anyone has anything to say against it. Recent news announcements and how they try to improve the game's performance is enough of evidence that the game sucks on that department.

Truth has spoken dear exiles. Accept it and see the big picture, or continue on with the delusions.

If you finished reading the undeniable facts i use as arguments to support my opinion and my suggestion, go see this. Its the podcast where our lord and saviour Chris "RNGeezus" Wilson talks about various aspects of the game. If you are not in the mood to watch one hour conversation or have already done so, i suggest you go to 39:00 minute mark and listen for about one minute what Chris says regarding the labyrinth and how "optional" it is, so that turd of an argument that white knights use as a caramel everywhere can stop.

You can dislike my opinion and suggestion as much as you want it doesnt change the nature of the arguments i made there. You can fool youselves believing that those can be dismissed, and thus become (or continue beeing) willingly ignorant or, you know, accept them for what they are (aka truth) and go on and critisize my suggestion (in any way, that would actually prove useful to GGG)

P.S. : The second spoiler and the link (39:00 minute mark) is a must see for both sides. (the second spoiler is a copy paste of my previous post for those extraordinary stuborn or willingly ignorant WK)
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Last edited by Regulator on Apr 11, 2016, 6:30:07 PM
I hate this labyrinth's tyranny. Lab not fun. Make it optional.
Hi
Ascendancy points can be rewarded out of Labyrinth. Lab is forced just to have a build

Personal reason: I find lab boring. Probably nothing wrong with the lab itself, forcing me to boredom three times everytime I reroll is my problem.
Logical reason: The logical point would be, I have to overlevel and run lab so that I have a build going on. I think I should be the other way around (and that is If I want to run lab).

My preferred solution;
* Make ascendancy points just like other quest rewards,

Alternative solutions in case you insist on making me run around traps and find switches and keys so that I can have a build going on;
* Make ascendancy points account-bound: if I do lab with one character then I don't have to run it again three times for rerolled chars in the same account.
* Doing the 6 trials gives the char ascendancy points as reward: so that I can have a build and then I can decide for myself whether I wanna run lab or not.

Note: Difficulty level and rewards other than ascendancy points in lab is another topic. You can put whatever reward you like behind lab, I don't mind.
Just like atziri, make it so it drops more or some specific loot, that's fine.
But I dont have to kill atziri over and over just to have a build.

Selçuk
"
Hi
Ascendancy points can be rewarded out of Labyrinth. Lab is forced just to have a build

No they cant be because thats what GGG decided.

"
Personal reason: I find lab boring. Probably nothing wrong with the lab itself, forcing me to boredom three times everytime I reroll is my problem.
Logical reason: The logical point would be, I have to overlevel and run lab so that I have a build going on. I think I should be the other way around (and that is If I want to run lab).

It honestly doesn't take that long, people like you that complain likely spend upwards of 20+ min in the lab if I had to guess.

"
My preferred solution;
* Make ascendancy points just like other quest rewards,

No, because they aren't like other quest rewards. Its a specific thing.

"
Alternative solutions in case you insist on making me run around traps and find switches and keys so that I can have a build going on;
* Make ascendancy points account-bound: if I do lab with one character then I don't have to run it again three times for rerolled chars in the same account.

The switches are pretty obvious and only the golden keys are mandatory and arent there every single day on every single difficulty.

Absolutely not to the second point. First of all there really isnt anything "account bound" in poe nor should there be. This is basically just saying I wanna do it once per league and never again. You have to do all the regular quest on all of your characters and get the WPs on your new characters don't you?

"
* Doing the 6 trials gives the char ascendancy points as reward: so that I can have a build and then I can decide for myself whether I wanna run lab or not.

Lol, so instead of paying for a lab rush you pay for a trial rush, which you had to do anyway and it puts your character at 0 risk at all in the process (they can just TP you to the alter to activate)

Again absolutely NOT.

"
Note: Difficulty level and rewards other than ascendancy points in lab is another topic. You can put whatever reward you like behind lab, I don't mind.

Its the same topic, I have an idea lets put the ascendancy points behind the lab, you did say I can put whatever reward I like behind the lab and you wouldn't mind.

"
Just like atziri, make it so it drops more or some specific loot, that's fine.
But I dont have to kill atziri over and over just to have a build.

Nor do you have to, its different content with different intentions. This isn't about what you or OP don't wanna do, plenty of things people dont wanna do in this game. If you want the benefits from the lab, including asendancy points, you do the fucking lab. END OF STORY
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:

Nor do you have to, its different content with different intentions. This isn't about what you or OP don't wanna do, plenty of things people dont wanna do in this game. If you want the benefits from the lab, including asendancy points, you do the fucking lab. END OF STORY

Thank you for your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and is free to make their opinion known to GGG here on the Feedback and Suggestions Forum.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I think the labs have a place in the game. I think the content is fun (sort of) and the experience is cool. I remember the first time I encountered Argus...that was brutal.

However, I still think they need more work...and more fun to them.

It's all about the traps, that seems to be most people's issue...and they are a bit punishing, and sometimes you do end up in some weird trap run that doesn't seem to have an actual pattern or safe point.

I don't like the labs either, traps suck, mainly those spike floors, and there have been a few runs where I really couldn't figure out a pattern, and I was damn sure I would get killed if I continued...

I'd be willing to risk it however, if there was more to explore...

I know, I know, make it longer, but there are a few highlights in there...the other day I found a unique jewelry box that had like 3 uniques and 7 rares as a condition...they need more interesting things like that in it to make it worth the risk.

Izario is a bit of a challenge...and I'm not sure I'd ever have the balls to fight him on merc...that discharge phase is nuts...and even on cruel he nearly killed a 70 char.

Too little reward for the risk.

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Hi

No they cant be because thats what GGG decided.

"
selcuk wrote:

It honestly doesn't take that long, people like you that complain likely spend upwards of 20+ min in the lab if I had to guess.

Hmm, the personal reason and the logical reason that I wrote still stands.

"
selcuk wrote:

GGG's decision or 20+min, or if you reroll like me 200+min, doesnt change it unfortunately.

I offered some solutions, you took the time to write your opinions about them, ty for that. I hope GGG may find a better solution.

Ill add another argument, it may not be as solid as personal and logical reasons above but still;

Picking some nodes in skill tree gated behind some special content. That is new. Base case scenario, they intentionally did it.
Spoiler

GGG can decide that; To be able to get a keystone passive skill, your character has to do a lab run. You wanna pick Eldritch Battery, you have to do a lab run, you wanna pick Elemental Overload, you have to do a lab run, and so on.
Keystones can be very special, like ascendancy points are.
from wiki: "Keystones are unique and powerful passive skill nodes that significantly impact the way a character is played"

Let me give an example; you wanna make a build featuring Elemental Overload or some other keysetone, but GGG decided that you have to kill some special boss or you have to clear some special content or worse "you have to run lab" as a prerequisite before you can pick that keystone passive skill.

Now, in the sentence above replace "Elemental Overload" with "Versatile Combatant" in Gladiator ascendancy or "Aspect of Carnage" in Berserker ascendancy.

I know ascendancy points and keystones in skill tree can be different (in some cases not so much).
But the point is, picking some nodes in skill tree gated behind some content. And that is new.
Ill write only the best case scenario; they intend to do it this way.

Technically this may not be different than saying; in order to get Elemental Overload keystone you have to kill Malachai or Atziri.

Selçuk
If GGG just implemented what player feedback dictates, we'd be back at beta with nothing beyond vaal oversoul in act 2 and old Maelstrom of Chaos as endgame, because people hate everything about act 3 and 4 and every map that is not just running in a straight line. I mean, the new fad is gorge rotations, which shows you how far the clearspeed degeneracy has come.
Spoiler

@ebrl GGG has a long history of listening to the players mate, especially when the requests are voiced by so many. They usually wait for the temp leagues to end though.

On a side note : Does anyone (devs preferably) know why the labyrinth ladders are displayed in such a weird way? I mean its the first time the ladders dont have the same navigation menu as the rest of them (perm leagues, temp leagues, events, pvp etc). Are they trying to hide something with that layout? Is it bugged? Or its supposed to be that way? I find this inconsistency suspicious

p.s. WK should visit the link in the previous post (39minute of the podcast) and read the spoilers EVERYTIME. Oh, and be respectful of people's opinions.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info