SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

The amount of entitled fanboy elitism in this thread is staggering.

The OP is right on track, Aside from the tedious boring over tuned boss slug fest known as Act 4; the labyrinth is the worst content GGG has produced. The only saving grace for Act 4 is that you can skip it in merciless, and make good money rushing players through it in normal and cruel.

If you want to experience ascendancy and the builds it enables you are forced to do the labyrinth, forced to deal with 10 zones of hard core play in an unstable environment, traps that kill you if you lag; yeah skill… and don’t even try as a CI build or high life build. If you happen to be blessed by the gods and make it through, you are faced with an insanely over tuned boss, with one shot kill mechanics sending you back to do it all over again; and this is just NORMAL difficulty.

The fanboy FOTM build movement has responded in defense of the labyrinth; git gud, skip it, you don’t deserve to ascend, LTP, ok… For many players the character build is Path of Exile; this is evident in the numerous build threads, build videos, build show case, etc... Trying new builds, experimenting with new gem combinations, even more so now with the possibilities ascendancy points provide, improving clear speeds, this is the core of game play for many players. The labyrinth with its slow tedious hard core game play thrown right in the middle of the leveling process gating ascendancy just does not make sense.

Path of Exile was a great game, and then something changed. Something changed at GGG, something is taking the game in a strange direction. For those of us unhappy, our choice as players is unfortunately to deal with it which is really not fair. Many of us invested money and time on a great game not expecting to have such a drastic change in play style shoved down our throats.

Most all of the players who are unhappy with the current state of the game and still playing is because of the loyalty GGG has bought through listening to the community, let’s hope they are listening now.

Remove the labyrinth from the leveling process, find a different way to award ascendancy, keeping the leveling process smooth and flowing. Great strides were made in redesigning many of the zones; this greatly improved the leveling process and took nothing away from the experience. Please consider changing the labyrinth; add check points to alleviate the pain of “unexpected disconnection”, over tuned one shot boss mechanics, lag death on lava traps, etc… Remove it from the leveling process (ascendancy) and make it optional like racing, add leaderboards and let those who love it, throw themselves at it.

Make the game fun again
"
empathise wrote:
For many players the character build is Path of Exile; this is evident in the numerous build threads, build videos, build show case, etc... Trying new builds, experimenting with new gem combinations, even more so now with the possibilities ascendancy points provide, improving clear speeds, this is the core of game play for many players. The labyrinth with its slow tedious hard core game play thrown right in the middle of the leveling process gating ascendancy just does not make sense.

Look, this is where the difference comes for me. See, the whole build game thing is true, but it's half of the appeal for me.

The other thing I enjoy about PoE is the mechanical innovation (or incremental improvements) that GGG has added to the ARPG genre. Bosses like Dominus, Malachai, Rigwald, corrupted area bosses, Tunnel trap, etc. etc. etc. have made the whole thing fresh in my eyes. The labyrinth is a natural trend for me in this game. I like the thrill of things that actually can kill you without cheap tactics.

I play the game to plan builds, but I do not play for the clear speed, I play for the interesting challenges (even if in the long run knowledge trivializes them).

That being said, your point about leveling is true. The game is making it too long, but I'm positive for the future (specially if they remove difficulties or add some kind of Adventure Mode).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
empathise wrote:
For many players the character build is Path of Exile; this is evident in the numerous build threads, build videos, build show case, etc... Trying new builds, experimenting with new gem combinations, even more so now with the possibilities ascendancy points provide, improving clear speeds, this is the core of game play for many players. The labyrinth with its slow tedious hard core game play thrown right in the middle of the leveling process gating ascendancy just does not make sense.

Look, this is where the difference comes for me. See, the whole build game thing is true, but it's half of the appeal for me.

The other thing I enjoy about PoE is the mechanical innovation (or incremental improvements) that GGG has added to the ARPG genre. Bosses like Dominus, Malachai, Rigwald, corrupted area bosses, Tunnel trap, etc. etc. etc. have made the whole thing fresh in my eyes. The labyrinth is a natural trend for me in this game. I like the thrill of things that actually can kill you without cheap tactics.

I play the game to plan builds, but I do not play for the clear speed, I play for the interesting challenges (even if in the long run knowledge trivializes them).

That being said, your point about leveling is true. The game is making it too long, but I'm positive for the future (specially if they remove difficulties or add some kind of Adventure Mode).

So why are you supporting the gating behind labyrinth mate? Wouldnt it be better if the lab was truly optional? You (and many others) would still enjoy discovering secret passages and hidden switches, learning new tactics and mechanics since you enjoy that kind of playstyle while still having fun with the ascendancy classes. What ungating would offer is for people like me (and many others) who dislike this playstyle to mess with the classes.

I for once really enjoy making new builds, i dont care if they do well or not, but i always create 3-4 unique characters per league, this time i only made 1 in PHC. Something that i consider my hobby isnt providing the fun it did, and instead it asks from me and ALL the players to grind and work (even if some people find that fun) more than any time before.

When the daily reward for the labyrinth is implemented, it will give another incentive for players to run the damn thing beside the treasure chests and the enchantments and the AC, wouldnt that be too many of rewards all linked to one place? Is it a side effect of powercreeping? Even rewards for doing "optional" content must feel OP?

Finally i want to adress something that ive seen in similar threads but i always forgot to mention. Some people claim this playstyle offers diversity and might bring new players into the game, meaning more players = more chances for new customers. In the same time that playstyle drives away many old customers. Its much easier and profitable for a company to keep their active customers happy than trying to find new ones. Supporters have already made the big step of giving money and are ready to do so again, new players arent so willing to take that step in the start.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
How about introducing a currency, with a chaos orb drop rate, that allows players to save progress in the Lab at certain spots? Once a lab run is finished, those save spots are erased. If a player dies, the save spots are lost.

"
elbowfrag wrote:
How about introducing a currency, with a chaos orb drop rate, that allows players to save progress in the Lab at certain spots? Once a lab run is finished, those save spots are erased. If a player dies, the save spots are lost.

easier.
just currency with exalt drop rate, that drops only in merc lab, and grants 2 accend points.
No rest for the wicked
Last edited by mezmery on Mar 31, 2016, 5:28:01 AM
The main objection here, which is why so many people want Ascendency points to be removed from the Labyrinth, is that traps are too out of place in current gameplay. I myself wouldn't have a problem with Ascendency points coming from the Labyrinth if it weren't for the traps. That way, it's essentially just another reward for killing a difficult boss.
"
The main objection here, which is why so many people want Ascendency points to be removed from the Labyrinth, is that traps are too out of place in current gameplay. I myself wouldn't have a problem with Ascendency points coming from the Labyrinth if it weren't for the traps. That way, it's essentially just another reward for killing a difficult boss.

Here's a summary of this thread.
Some people enjoy labyrinth so therefore everyone has to enjoy labyrinth (not me though), some people say that traps are not different game play from the rest of PoE (nonsense IMHO), some people argue that ascendancy points are totally optional (not true IMHO), some people argue that people not liking labyrinth is because they are bad players (insulting arrogant irrelevant and false), some people that play labyrinth over and over and over, again and again argue that they can sometimes do a labyrinth run in only 5 minutes so complaints about it are unfounded and petty (silly nonsense since people that hate the labyrinth aren't going to practice over and over and it takes way more than 5 minutes for them to suffer thru the labyrinth), some people argue that only 5 people don't like labyrinth and those 5 people just keep complaining over and over in this thread and others (most crazy of the nonsense)

Did I miss any? :-)
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
empathise wrote:
The amount of entitled fanboy elitism in this thread is staggering.

The OP is right on track, Aside from the tedious boring over tuned boss slug fest known as Act 4; the labyrinth is the worst content GGG has produced. The only saving grace for Act 4 is that you can skip it in merciless, and make good money rushing players through it in normal and cruel.

If you want to experience ascendancy and the builds it enables you are forced to do the labyrinth, forced to deal with 10 zones of hard core play in an unstable environment, traps that kill you if you lag; yeah skill… and don’t even try as a CI build or high life build. If you happen to be blessed by the gods and make it through, you are faced with an insanely over tuned boss, with one shot kill mechanics sending you back to do it all over again; and this is just NORMAL difficulty.

The fanboy FOTM build movement has responded in defense of the labyrinth; git gud, skip it, you don’t deserve to ascend, LTP, ok… For many players the character build is Path of Exile; this is evident in the numerous build threads, build videos, build show case, etc... Trying new builds, experimenting with new gem combinations, even more so now with the possibilities ascendancy points provide, improving clear speeds, this is the core of game play for many players. The labyrinth with its slow tedious hard core game play thrown right in the middle of the leveling process gating ascendancy just does not make sense.

Path of Exile was a great game, and then something changed. Something changed at GGG, something is taking the game in a strange direction. For those of us unhappy, our choice as players is unfortunately to deal with it which is really not fair. Many of us invested money and time on a great game not expecting to have such a drastic change in play style shoved down our throats.

Most all of the players who are unhappy with the current state of the game and still playing is because of the loyalty GGG has bought through listening to the community, let’s hope they are listening now.

Remove the labyrinth from the leveling process, find a different way to award ascendancy, keeping the leveling process smooth and flowing. Great strides were made in redesigning many of the zones; this greatly improved the leveling process and took nothing away from the experience. Please consider changing the labyrinth; add check points to alleviate the pain of “unexpected disconnection”, over tuned one shot boss mechanics, lag death on lava traps, etc… Remove it from the leveling process (ascendancy) and make it optional like racing, add leaderboards and let those who love it, throw themselves at it.

Make the game fun again

I agree with almost everything you said. I think the lab is "ok" (not great in any way), but should be 100% optional.

Apart from that, beautifully written and I hope GGG has the courage to listen and change the system.
Last edited by Josephoenix on Apr 4, 2016, 9:26:32 AM
I also agree with the op, this labyrinth thing is an atrocity. I have decided to stop creating new characters until ggg unlocks ascendancy from the labyrinth.
GGG needs to wake up and understand what a terrible thing they have done to the game.
"
Turtledove wrote:
"

Here's a summary of this thread.
Some people enjoy labyrinth so therefore everyone has to enjoy labyrinth (not me though), some people say that traps are not different game play from the rest of PoE (nonsense IMHO), some people argue that ascendancy points are totally optional (not true IMHO), some people argue that people not liking labyrinth is because they are bad players (insulting arrogant irrelevant and false), some people that play labyrinth over and over and over, again and again argue that they can sometimes do a labyrinth run in only 5 minutes so complaints about it are unfounded and petty (silly nonsense since people that hate the labyrinth aren't going to practice over and over and it takes way more than 5 minutes for them to suffer thru the labyrinth), some people argue that only 5 people don't like labyrinth and those 5 people just keep complaining over and over in this thread and others (most crazy of the nonsense)

Did I miss any? :-)

Nope you've summarized all the "arguments" the white knights have brought into this debate :).(they've actually made none till this day :P)

@JFC_Bass_Chant The points/arguments/reasoning behind the suggestion can be found in the OP as well as in the rest of this thread. Ive remade the OP a while ago and its very easy to see them.

Also, i want to thank all the newcomers for supporting the cause and slowly but steadily showing GGG how things really are. Out of nowhere a lot of threads regarding the lab popped up recently showing the discontent with the matter. Keep up and we will force a change.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info