Labyrinth,the worst content ever made in POE?

"
MadRabbitPoE wrote:

Like, what do you think separates the trap mechanics from the boss fight mechanics?

We can attack the boss and use the skills that makes poe fun to play. The boss your speaking of cant take any damage and will kill a lvl 100 in a lvl33 zone. The key to fighting him is running for 10mins clicking things, not using the skills or equip that makes your char unique. That doesnt sound like a fun boss.
"
MadRabbitPoE wrote:
It's pretty interesting how much pushback there is over this new content on the merits of it turning the game into a platformer.

You make some interesting points, to which I will respond with my opinion below (i have plenty of time because I can't bear to be in-game at the moment)
"

Like, what do you think separates the trap mechanics from the boss fight mechanics? It's all the same conceptually. Malachai fight is built on constraining the size of the area in which you can move, restricting areas that you can move to at certain times due to persistent AoE effects and moving your character to dodge telegraphed abilities that shoot some forth of projectile with a location based target
GOOD POINT!

The difference being, you only have to kill malachai once per difficulty, and if your build is sub-optimal, you can at least feed him bodies until he's dead. I've had to do that with my summoners. For some reason, Zombie AI doesn't know about dodging traps... (j/k) With the lab, you get ONE SHOT and must fight Izaro 3 times. You mess up and die, you start over. No body-feeding allowed, no checkpoints to get past the 2 you already beat before misstepping onto a spike. You're simply screwed out of your valuable time. I certainly don't fight Malachai for fun, and don't even bother with him in merc anymore.

"

Traps in Lab are about...constraining space you can move to, restricting areas you can move to at certain times due to persistant AoE effects and moving your character to dodge location based projectiles that are telegraphed and move at a time paced.
You can surely see how that can be a problem, given the aforementioned NO RETRY mechanic combined with this game's propensity for LAG.
"

Is the real issue here the fact that the damage is percentage based and you just can't outgear the content, making tactical stragety useless in the face of just facetanking and bursting?
No it's the foot of F*** YOU DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN aroma shoved in my face that's the real problem. That and having to do the 6 trials 3x for every character. It should be a 1-time unlock for the account, just like the Scion was. I have FIFTEEN f***ing characters in standard!
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Uh, it isn't mandatory.

Yeah, it's not mandatory but you will 100% be gimping your character compared to everyone else if you don't do it.
"
krakerman wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Uh, it isn't mandatory.

Yeah, it's not mandatory but you will 100% be gimping your character compared to everyone else if you don't do it.

inb4 all non-ascended players say "ZOMG NERF ASCENDANCY CLASSES, they're so incomparably good they have become mandatory!"

Just like was recently done to vaal spark and incinerate.

Sound familiar? Do we really, REALLY want to ride that merry-go-round?
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
"

I've run the lab 75 times and I have not gotten a single melee enchant on my bringer of rain yet, let alone one of nine enchants I genuinely need. SEVENTY-FIVE RUNS. That's about 13 hours and for what, 15% iAPS? That's about 3k DPS for me. Why am I doing this?!!!

Cause u obviously have a gaming problem... 75 times.
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Uh, it isn't mandatory.

I lost 50% poison on deadly toxins
I lost 30% damage on blade fall
I lost hp regen on bino
I lost one more thing (cant remember havent been playing)

I lost a good chunk of dps with the patch, but the 6 pts i got, gave a +600dps net. If you want to be weaker than the day before the patch you dont have to do them, but if you dont wanna lose 20% dps you kinda have to.
Last edited by Chadwixx on Mar 6, 2016, 9:54:16 PM
"
joachimbond wrote:
"
MadRabbitPoE wrote:
It's pretty interesting how much pushback there is over this new content on the merits of it turning the game into a platformer.

You make some interesting points, to which I will respond with my opinion below (i have plenty of time because I can't bear to be in-game at the moment)
"

Like, what do you think separates the trap mechanics from the boss fight mechanics? It's all the same conceptually. Malachai fight is built on constraining the size of the area in which you can move, restricting areas that you can move to at certain times due to persistent AoE effects and moving your character to dodge telegraphed abilities that shoot some forth of projectile with a location based target
GOOD POINT!

The difference being, you only have to kill malachai once per difficulty, and if your build is sub-optimal, you can at least feed him bodies until he's dead. I've had to do that with my summoners. For some reason, Zombie AI doesn't know about dodging traps... (j/k) With the lab, you get ONE SHOT and must fight Izaro 3 times. You mess up and die, you start over. No body-feeding allowed, no checkpoints to get past the 2 you already beat before misstepping onto a spike. You're simply screwed out of your valuable time. I certainly don't fight Malachai for fun, and don't even bother with him in merc anymore.

"

Traps in Lab are about...constraining space you can move to, restricting areas you can move to at certain times due to persistant AoE effects and moving your character to dodge location based projectiles that are telegraphed and move at a time paced.
You can surely see how that can be a problem, given the aforementioned NO RETRY mechanic combined with this game's propensity for LAG.
"

Is the real issue here the fact that the damage is percentage based and you just can't outgear the content, making tactical stragety useless in the face of just facetanking and bursting?
No it's the foot of F*** YOU DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN aroma shoved in my face that's the real problem. That and having to do the 6 trials 3x for every character. It should be a 1-time unlock for the account, just like the Scion was. I have FIFTEEN f***ing characters in standard!

These are all points I can sympathize with. At the same time, what you consider to make the content unbearable is what I consider to be fun. It adds a degree of thrill that is absent in being able to win a boss fight by attrition. It does suck when you lose all your progress due to lag or fps though; I don't want to trivialize that experience.

I thing contesting the Lab off these points is a really strong ground and I won't argue against them; different strokes for different folks. But, I still think condemning it's existence as a deviation in game type is somewhat baseless, because when you look at the core mechanics in place, the differences are, in my opinion, somewhat hair splitting.

The one time unlock though would do worlds in making the content more bearable for people, who unlike me, hate it while doing very little in destroying the actual experience.
Last edited by MadRabbitPoE on Mar 6, 2016, 9:58:47 PM
"
Chadwixx wrote:
"
MadRabbitPoE wrote:

Like, what do you think separates the trap mechanics from the boss fight mechanics?

We can attack the boss and use the skills that makes poe fun to play. The boss your speaking of cant take any damage and will kill a lvl 100 in a lvl33 zone. The key to fighting him is running for 10mins clicking things, not using the skills or equip that makes your char unique. That doesnt sound like a fun boss.

Fair enough. Relevant point. Having to DPS while managing the boss mechanics adds a dimension to the experience that isn't present in the traps scenario. But even with this very important distinction, I still won't go as far as to say that the addition of the Lab is altering the game's archetype.
Dude i totally agree with you, there needs to be checkpoints because would rather farm maps then roll the dice on if i die at the end of the labyrinth and then have to do it all over from the start
Last edited by Kilsum on Mar 6, 2016, 10:02:21 PM
Honestly...fuck everything about the labyrinth. It sucks more balls than anything on earth. I can't believe this is what GGG came up with. They usually do way better.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info