Pohx's 2.2 Ice Trapper. HC/SC/Atziri/High Maps

I'm playing this build in softcore and it works very well for solo map farming. Clearing maps in full rarity gear works great.
I tried Atziri once. It was a lot easier than expected.

"
hitreza wrote:
great setup gz!

Why dont you use Southbound gloves? It has life and hughe cold dmg!

But that's cold damage for attacks, not for spells. This wouldn't work for traps at all unless I'm missing something.
So whats the verdict here? does this do more damage then the old Bladefall trap with binos? or its behind in damage?
Gear
Spoiler

Skilltree

Offense Screen
Spoiler
With auras off

Defense Screen
Spoiler
With auras off

Hi I'm in hardcore and I could use some advice on my passive tree. I recently switched from the Ele Overload version of the build to the straight crit version with significant improvements. I'm doing a lot more damage, raping all rares and uniques, and feel as though the increased radius loss means absolutely nothing. I also like the fact that I'm not traveling through all those mid dex/int nodes anymore. Still, I could use a trained eye to help make my tree more efficient. The main problem is I'm in hardcore and need to find more life in my build. I think I need to go through the 2 dex nodes to start picking up all the 4% life/evasion nodes + Revenge of the Hunted.

I'm level 87 now and if I grab all those nodes I will be finishing that sequence at level 94. So those nodes don't look optional for hardcore, what about the three with survivalist just south of Revenge of the Hunted? I picked those up kind of carelessly but now I'm starting to lean towards removing them entirely. Besides that, should I consider taking remaining points into the +1 frenzy charge nodes around the tree? I'm thinking no because I'm playing hardcore but anyone more knowledgeable could see something in them that I don't.

Also, I'm running an Alpha's Howl. Should I just ditch it for a 90+ life/900+ evasion helm? Currently running Clarity + Grace + Herald of Ice. Though I've got blasphemy+enfeeble in my Alpha's I can't afford to run it without taking maybe 4 more points into mana nodes, which is unacceptable. So as it is only my clarity and grace benefit from the Howl, which doesn't seem worth it. However, without getting some really nice +mana jewels or mods I would not even be able to run Clarity+Grace+Herald of Ice as my mana stands without Alpha's.

So I either go back to running Clarity + Blasphemy Enfeeble + Herald of Ice or I enjoy my Grace and suffer the lackluster stats on the Alpha's Howl. However, if I do go back to Clarity + Blasphemy Enfeeble + Herald of Ice then I will be looking to spec out of Deep Wisdom + Primal Spirit, gain 4 points, and instead rely totally on +Mana Regen from gear, which I did before and is possible.

This is my best character ever, so I have a couple miscellaneous newb questions:
With this build what kind of life will I need to do Atziri with little to no chance to rip?
What kind of life should I have to do merc lab with little no chance to rip? I feel already as though the damage I'm doing will be a huge help against Izaro to begin with.
How are my potions? Mainly, what is the stibnite for? It only raises my chance to evade by around 4%. Would a quartz not be better?
And is there any way I can integrated more chaos resistance? Otherwise, how to deal with maps that have chaos damage bosses?

Advice from anyone is appreciated. This is the strongest character I've ever had and I'm trying to get it to take me to see some of the real endgame. At the moment I run t6-t8 maps like a breeze although I avoid chaos dmg bosses. Don't really have maps higher than t8.

Currently my gear is a work in progress: shield, boots, gloves, and jewelry (especially) can be significantly upgraded for reasonable prices.
Seems like a lot of your guys' DPS is hella low, I'm 76 pretty much followed Pohx's tree to the tee besides getting Elemental Equilibrium, 8k unbuffed completely, 12.2ish w Ele Overload. Ontop of -50 cold res from EE, etc. I am running a Tabula so idk how much that's really affecting, and my wand has 100% cold damage on it, but yeah Ele Overload is amazing imo why would you spec crit if you're using controlled destruction o_O. Regarding Tabula, yeah I can get blasted but I run Stibnite w Jade w Eva quicksilver so I'm pretty much perma at 15k evasion. Overall though I definitely don't die much at all in say tier 7~ maps. Working on 5l Carcass X_X.

Last edited by lykathe on Mar 23, 2016, 8:07:29 PM
Just wrecked atziri with a similar build but in a more tanky version

Tree Lvl 90

base setup : blasphemy enfeeble/temp chain + clarity
gems in reserve : purity of light/fire

Vaal overlord: switch purity of lightning and enfeeble. Hard cast enfeeble
Atziri's trio: switch purity of lightning and enfeeble (purpose : unlink enfeeble from blasphemy). Switch flame golem and run purity of fire. Hard cast enfeeble
Atziri: double blasphemy or double purity, haven't decided yet. I wrecked Atziri with double purity and I laughed with my res at 89-91%

5 or 6 traps are enough to jump from a phase to another. In short : it's faceroll.
base dps : 5950
buffed : 10 100

I consider to add Elemental focus as the 6th link and get insane dps (which is already very good for a 5L) to clean top tier contents
Just in case someones curious how the numbers play out if you respec into crit, here's what I got. My gear is pretty meh, had 5.5k life and 7k tooltip with orb of storms along with ~42% evasion. I bought an 8c crit wand when I swapped, but have no other crit gear.

Noncrit pros:

10% more AoE
~500 more life
40% more mana regen
Access to three more jewel slots

Crit pros:

Freezing
~1k more tooltip without charges than noncrit with orb up (~3k without orb)
~5k more tooltip with charges than noncrit with orb up. (~7k without orb)
No need to cast orb of storms, no need to spend links on it.
Better dmg scaling; I can probably expect 3-4k more tooltip if I spent a couple exalts on gear.

So yeah, it looks like a case of "use this on hardcore - use this on softcore". I don't think I'd want to take the HP hit on a hardcore character, but you could easily still hit ~5.5k life even if you go crit. That's enough for softcore. And trust me, it's very nice to high tier map bosses before they even move.
Last edited by CloverPuppy on Mar 24, 2016, 1:04:16 AM
Do you guys switch out cluster traps for something else when going single target? I feel like cluster traps means so many traps miss.
"
Do you guys switch out cluster traps for something else when going single target? I feel like cluster traps means so many traps miss.

The single-target damage from Cluster Traps gets ridiculous once you have the Chain Reaction ascendancy node. I honestly wouldn't even bother using Ice Trap until you've got that, it enables some insane shenanigans. Drop an Orb of Storms and a couple of Frost Bomb traps on a boss, followed by a volley of Ice Traps, and watch that sucker melt!
GG GGG <3
So this is been one of my most fun characters I've played in a long time. Current gear is crap, but I'm wrecking nearly everything so far.

Gear and tree:

I went the crit route and have been having a really great time. Been playing since Onslaught in Open Beta (now playing Perandus SC) and have always wanted a Shav's to drop. It happened tonight and I want to respec a bit into a lowlife crit trapper.

Was thinking something like this tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAEV8Yk_2n5eXyQY3F_v1Z060OG935RmMNonTcFIqC13yDkgrCu4VEZYRL7d1Bx5_xutjlS6io5Mnflk2PfDVwfMPxO-Ie9cbyI_6SVGVIAjUO3z5N8_d7Bjr9S0fc23Xz_GKZKpknUyz8PlJsWwIm4byHa6zBAfQH5eVIG7b52o2QZbr5B8C7-tSU1AwcFEFQtD1Xyo2xT1fl_R2b7MDi3rYJG0ZfrAyGAFvpwjZWwj02FRTMeL3j0adrtrdGyXAVIRIHRTlixpsS6686mpDXGuOZPnb5CLpAsNt96Z-xylP34q2-mu3njyFfYx2tzG4ygAA

Or I could go back to non-crit...with something like this.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYAAEV8l5f79bQ45RmMNonTcFIqC13yDkgrCu4VEZYRL7d1Bx5_xutjlS6TJ35ZwcU2PfDVbAu-iu-Ie9fsGBvISVEi9KEv-Tdkqs_dbRnXz5uG8YoRUNlbl_QI9EmxajZsCDW5GyVSU8BU2-enK0uul5U9X7zqakNwUekCTLN2b7MD34oEB9AffrAyGOvkHwLv69hUUzFfKjbF2CSnCI9Gna7a3Zuh5YsabBhq99f52-QiOVKESH7HKU_VplgHXGuePO08w22Mdpo7tzGf34KbZp7vfPrScg8XL3GFJLBXKfMRgKRG17FC

Thoughts?

Or should I just pick a completely different build?

Last edited by crzytimes on Mar 27, 2016, 1:45:54 AM
5112 life
4728 tooltip dps

Tying to get some good jewels. Really asking myself if I should respec crit. I'm in sc, and already got a divinarius stashed, should I make the switch.
What do you think ? Already got crit chance on my ring and amulet.

Tree :

Taking some placeholder nodes, until I get enough point to go to this place :

But is it worth it though...

Gear :
Spoiler

I've got another carcass jack i'm trying to 6L, not luck yet.
Last edited by Pandaroux on Mar 28, 2016, 10:00:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info