Is PoE more CPU or GPU intensive?

For me personally i seem to be bound my GPU not CPU.

To fix my crash issues i had to disable intel turbo boost (making my i7 3610qm go to 3600mhz) with it off i've clock speed of 2400, and i notice no diffrence in game at all. If anything it's smoother now.

Checking resource usage said i never used 100% CPU at 3600 mhz nor do i now on 2.4 mhz

Ram seems to be abigger issue though, i've only 6gb memory and PoE sometimes uses up to 10gb so i've to use my paging file, luckily i've an SSD so it's not that noticeable. And yes i know it'll wear down on the SSD doing so. But u do what u gotta do :)

Older laptop memory isnt cheap. Could nearly buy a new computer for the same price O.o :)

"
bossgx700 wrote:
I noticed a few uninformed fanboy comments so for the sake of balance I run an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and RX580 and have no issues with performance.

As long as your rig isn't ancient I can't see you having too many problems. Just tweak the in game video settings until you're happy with the performance and see how it looks.

I just noticed this is a necroe'd post, but in the older times, Performance for AMD was terrible in terms of PoE. PoE realy loves intel and nvidia setups.
Heck even ziggyd had to quit his partnership with AMD due it couln't run PoE as smooth as he wanted/expected so he couldn't stand by the product. Which was a strong move from him since he probably lost a lot of money due ending that deal.

I remember reading a lot of complains back in the days from ppl with amd setups.
These days i'm sure it's much better.

Heck you can even run the game with Ryzen 5 2400g and have nearly 60 fps as i've seen youtube clips about. So my neext setup might use that. (And i've been intel/nvidia boy for a long time, used to be AMD waaaaay back)
Last edited by _SleeZy_ on Jun 14, 2018, 7:19:15 AM
Its gpu only..
I have ~50-90fps in hideout at 1080.
Cpu usage:30%
gpu usage:30%

summary: the game doesnt want to run at 180fps (i have a monitor)

I change settings to 4K - 50-100fps in hideout or i maps. Drops to 35fps in certain areas(lava,frost,shock grounds..etc.)
cpu usage: 50%
gpu usage: 99%

summary: my 1070 can run at 4k - its just game engine is old..

Anyone can use afterburner + rivatuner statistics to see how much RAM, cpu, vga and VIDEO RAM game consumes.

I wish game wasnt so spiky in fps drops. Looks amazing in 4k though...
Poe 2.0 new trailers when?
"
webas wrote:
Its gpu only..
I have ~50-90fps in hideout at 1080.
Cpu usage:30%
gpu usage:30%

summary: the game doesnt want to run at 180fps (i have a monitor)

I change settings to 4K - 50-100fps in hideout or i maps. Drops to 35fps in certain areas(lava,frost,shock grounds..etc.)
cpu usage: 50%
gpu usage: 99%

summary: my 1070 can run at 4k - its just game engine is old..

Anyone can use afterburner + rivatuner statistics to see how much RAM, cpu, vga and VIDEO RAM game consumes.

I wish game wasnt so spiky in fps drops. Looks amazing in 4k though...

A GPU doesn't work like a CPU does. A CPU tries to find the most efficient way and only blasts away when in "Performance" or "Turbo" mode, which happens on the fly nowadays. A GPU is designed around the idea of working at full capacity at all times. That's why heat is such an issue on GPUs, that's the main practical bottleneck.

High GPU usage does not equal loss in performance necessarily.
You're just getting your money's worth at that point.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Jun 14, 2018, 8:12:28 AM
it does not matter what specs u got, everything after GTX 960 and a 4th GEN i7 (just a moderate range until the current high end with 1080 and i7-8700) will give u exactly the same experience. the game engine is very very old and cluncky. no matter how hard u try, the fps drops and laggs will still occur. my only hope is that tencent pushes the developement into a propper game engine to have something in tact for future stability. the current game engine is heavily under performing.

just think of those two following things as AN EXAMPLE:

#1 no frame limiter, every needs to run DXTORY or MSI AFTERBURNER to cap FPS at whatever they like, otherwise ur GPU will ramp up to 1000 FPS and break down to 50 in maps up and down constantly.

#2 no limits on emits per seconds or particles cap. instead they added dynamic resolution..... just imagine how hard it must be for someone who is colorblind when everything is just blurry dark red. this is insulting to be fair.

i got some more points, but hit a dead horse again....
I went from a 970 to 1080. Almost zero improvement. The game engine is awful.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
"
azurarutlan wrote:
I run a FX8150, so cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck.

I would not say that. Lot of people have problem with this issue and gaming. Most games are not optimized for 8 core. In fact they cannot use more then 1-4 core. Steam has been having a little more 6 core games but those 8 cores are going to be useless for 99.5% of gaming. This is why I can guarantee you that you can try a the newest games and being lag or not.. The max CPU usage you should have is between 30% to 50%. If you found one of those rare 6 core game you might see 70% cpu usage. But yeah, 6+ core is not really anything related to gaming. It's good for big Photoshop, Autocad projects and encoding.

PoE is more Disk Intensive and then GPU instensive. I can lag with a dual core at 50% cpu usage...
As soon as you add a SSD the performance get better. Seem like PoE should use a line of 7zip to unpack its texture into memory because it's terrible as it is.
"
azurarutlan wrote:
I run a FX8150, so cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck.

On the contrary. That CPU is garbage.
oop double post
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jun 14, 2018, 5:57:09 PM
"
bossgx700 wrote:
I noticed a few uninformed fanboy comments so for the sake of balance I run an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and RX580 and have no issues with performance.

As long as your rig isn't ancient I can't see you having too many problems. Just tweak the in game video settings until you're happy with the performance and see how it looks.

They aren't fanboys. Radeon cards run worse than Nvidia with PoE. The FX line up is/was awful though. Ryzen is fine...FX, not so much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info