Is PoE more CPU or GPU intensive?

"
webas wrote:
Its gpu only..
I have ~50-90fps in hideout at 1080.
Cpu usage:30%
gpu usage:30%

summary: the game doesnt want to run at 180fps (i have a monitor)

I change settings to 4K - 50-100fps in hideout or i maps. Drops to 35fps in certain areas(lava,frost,shock grounds..etc.)
cpu usage: 50%
gpu usage: 99%

Those numbers dont mean much at all. There is very limited amount of games that use more then 2 cores, less that use 4 and you can almost only find games that will use 6 cores on steam. The 50% might be that PoE was using 100% of the cores it was able to use. Even then, it's only a theory and yet hold more promise or reality than the conclusion you came to with those numbers. (No offence meant. It just how it is.) As it was also pointed out: cpu = made to be efficient vs gpu is made to be abused. Cpu will do what it can to even dump what it can on the gpu if it help him out. After all, if the cpu bottleneck you have a whole system going into problems. On the other hand if the cpu see parts that are under bottleneck it still can manage the system.

Yes, this is why many games can and will run better on a STRONG single core or dual core vs a 8 core that cannot use more then 1/4 or 1/2 of it's power in a way it wasnt designed to be used.

In short, 8 cores were designed and are made for autocad, photoshop, encoding, heavy networking and similar tasks. Anything else promoted by them is simply marketing ploy to lower the production cost by making more units. As a scam bonus, man 8 cores are "comparative power". This mean that the cores are often weak and simply "compare" as a unit to what they claim is a X Ghz. So much sadness can be found about multicore.
"
petitcrabe1 wrote:

Yes, this is why many games can and will run better on a STRONG single core or dual core vs a 8 core that cannot use more then 1/4 or 1/2 of it's power in a way it wasnt designed to be used.

lol dude. stop> just stop.
GPU
Just saying
Its cpu based on your network. I run on a vm that gets like 25% cpu, full video but the bottle neck is the cpu calculations coverted to network that the server has to process.

The send or delivered request is laggy, thats why they put money into lockstep.

Hardware cant process instructions they havent received
Last edited by Chadwixx on Jun 15, 2018, 3:23:05 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
...I wonder if the two year gap between Arrowneous' post and the necromancer's changes this discussion at all.

I'm playing necromancer with i5 750 and 1060. Don't care much about CPU. Just upgrade GPU based on your budget. I believe 1050ti would be enough too.
Last edited by rrrrr5r on Jun 24, 2018, 11:23:09 PM
sorry to necro this thread but I have to complain about the engine or something. I have a i7 8700k with a 1080ti and I am currently sitting in my hideout and the game can barely maintain 60 fps at 1080p and often theres like spontaneous graphics degradation(everything becomes pixelated and blurry) and its honestly so disgusting
Screen effect quality is GPU intense, things like high resolution, shadows and lighting, anti-aliasing and to a lesser degree post process effects.

Particle effects and calculations are almost entirely dependant on CPU and considering the vast amount of these in today's version of the game, I would say it's definitely CPU heavy.

While GPU definitely affects quality/performance, you CAN tune that, while any good performance on a bad CPU is highly unlikely.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
kadrek91 wrote:
sorry to necro this thread but I have to complain about the engine or something. I have a i7 8700k with a 1080ti and I am currently sitting in my hideout and the game can barely maintain 60 fps at 1080p and often theres like spontaneous graphics degradation(everything becomes pixelated and blurry) and its honestly so disgusting

What you describe is dynamic resolution. Turn it off on a rig like yours.

But seriously 60 FPS with that hardware? Do you play 8k resolution or something? Put it to 1920x1080 I guarantee you won't have lower than 60 FPS.

Also turning on vsync on a 60 Hz screen forces the game to cap at 60 FPS. Turning it off may cause screen tearing.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Dec 17, 2018, 6:18:48 AM
"
azurarutlan wrote:
Just upgraded my video card and intend on coming back for the 4th. Just curious if my new vid card (upgraded to a R9 390 from a HD 7770) is going to make a significant impact or just a minor one.

It is both. After upgrading to a Geforce 1070Ti (from a Geforce 760) my minimum FPS increased dramatically even though I'm still using an ancient Intel i7 920 CPU.

However I still have performance issues when there is a lot happening on screen, either in Delve (with heavy use of GI and advanced shadow technologies) where you often fight large numbers of enemies in a single event which leave behind large numbers of corpses or in general gameplay when using a Increased Gore MTX effect.

Specifically the game seemingly uses a lot of Draw Calls under some situations which renders the game CPU limited, if you do your best to avoid excessive Draw Calls than you'll find yourself GPU limited.

Draw Call limitations are probably one of the reasons constantly spawning Syndicate enemies, the enemies in Delve Encounters and any other source of large quantity or endless enemies never drop any loot (in addition to not wanting to provide a source of infinite farming of XP/loot).
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Dec 17, 2018, 6:45:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info