Is PoE more CPU or GPU intensive?

Applications will use whatever resources you make available to them. It's not their responsibility to monitor your hardware.

If you throw out all safety options and restrictions its not much different to telling your automatic car its allowed to go 80mph in first gear then getting upset at the result when it actually does.
Last edited by Asmosis on Mar 2, 2016, 8:29:03 AM
"
Filousov wrote:
Atm it's best to run high clock speed processor - not many threads are need - 4 core should be more than enough. The clock speed matters.

It's also best to run NVidia as GGG said they had some issues with AMD, contacted AMD, but no reply from AMD. So AMD optimization is worse.

Nevertheless on my NVidia GTX970 4GB RAM and AMD Athlon 4 core on 4 GHz it runs quite well - well at least in single player mode which I do mostly.

dual core is enough, clock speed matters but after a threshold the engine cannot use all the "power" of the cpu so... with a i3 at 3.3 ghz dual cores the game will have the same performances than a I7 4.6 ghz 4 cores hyper threading.

When we are fps dropping, it's not because of the lack of power. It's because the game waits for some stuffs and calculations, then it stops the game for some milliseconds. Then renders the image , then waits again.

An exception: the burning ground effect, it kills the fps because the burning ground interacts with the grasses of the map, it continuously triggers and resets the grass' animation.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Mar 2, 2016, 8:37:49 AM
Force vsync in drivers and you wont burn your hardware. You don't need to run PoE at 300 FPS, 60 is more than enough.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
A Gpu with stock air cooling cannot fry because of poe. It will start to throttle or it will crash. Some benchmarks could destroy a gpu by overheating some units of the graphic card but not POE.

I already explained it twice. It's not the temperature that kills the GPU it's high voltage/currenz

A cheap power unit will even generate harmful spikes.

There are sensors to prevent Temperature damage by shutting down 10-20°C under harmful limit.

Manufactorers changed the common build of CPUs and GPUs. That's why we have 2,4,8 cores and not a single CPU running with 8 Ghz.

If you want to imagine how high voltage/current imagine a traffic jam on a highway and the drivers would still attempt to drive fast trough it(the cars cannot be damaged but the surroundings still can)
So the concrete wall gets grinded and so on.

"
Hilbert wrote:
"
A Gpu with stock air cooling cannot fry because of poe. It will start to throttle or it will crash. Some benchmarks could destroy a gpu by overheating some units of the graphic card but not POE.

I already explained it twice. It's not the temperature that kills the GPU it's high voltage/currenz

A cheap power unit will even generate harmful spikes.

There are sensors to prevent Temperature damage by shutting down 10-20°C under harmful limit.

Manufactorers changed the common build of CPUs and GPUs. That's why we have 2,4,8 cores and not a single CPU running with 8 Ghz.

If you want to imagine how high voltage/current imagine a traffic jam on a highway and the drivers would still attempt to drive fast trough it(the cars cannot be damaged but the surroundings still can)
So the concrete wall gets grinded and so on.

Voltage/current are controlled by the drivers and there are protections on the graphic cards to not exceed some limits. When the card exceeds the limits, the normal behaviour is a throttle, undervolting and underclocking at the same time, it reduces the fps or in some extreme cases it crashes. But it doesnt burn nor it will not "over volt".

Also, voltage/current ALWAYS generates heat, we talk about electricity. Higher voltage means more heat, more heat = can burn/fry some parts of the card. Voltage -> heat -> Overheat -> burning.

Well, we could also talk about electro magnetism induced by higher voltage and how it interacts with the card but let's keep it simple: High voltage can kill both cpus and gpus, by electro magnetism on the long term or by over heat on the short term.

Yes thoses sensors shall do the job, and cheap power supplies are common problems.

As you see, we both agree, the culprit is not PoE. But DEFECTIVE HARDWARE, if the card is not protected, if the protection fails, if the power supply pushes high spikes of current... it's HARDWARE problems or in some minor cases, the culprit is the driver ( a lot of gpus have been killed by an nvidia failure recently.

Just to clarify something, PoE doesnt control the amount of current used by the Gpu.

It's the driver and the bios of the card. A 100% load is not a problem. The card will ask more voltage, will work at it's max potential and will work perfectly fine. If the card is defective and do not support it's own specification, it's not Poe's fault. If the power supply makes spikey over voltages the card is under heavy load, the power supply sucks & is defective.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Mar 2, 2016, 9:18:44 AM
"
azurarutlan wrote:
Just upgraded my video card and intend on coming back for the 4th. Just curious if my new vid card (upgraded to a R9 390 from a HD 7770) is going to make a significant impact or just a minor one.

I have a Logitech G510s keyboard with a built in small LCD. One of the things it can do is display CPU and GPU % load. I run PoE on an older Intel i5-660 (3.3 GHz dual core with HT) that I've revved up to 3.8 GHz, Win 7 Pro on 8 GB ram, and an aging MSI Hawk HD6870 with only 1 GB vram. The Logitech readout of the CPU/GPU load shows most of the time the CPU is less than 50% load and my GPU goes way up, especially with rain and other particle effects, and my dual fans rev up to be audible. When I go to the passive tree the GPU load goes down to single digits and the cooling fans slow back down to inaudible again. So the GPU is of most importance. On the ram side I go from 32% to 34% of total ram used by Windows 7 to low 70s % when in PoE so 8 GB (or more) seems like a must. I don't have any empirical data on whether a faster dual core or a slower quad core cpu is better but my personal belief is that PoE is not coded for heavy multi-tasking yet so a faster fewer core cpu is better. That may change as GGG pushes out another update tomorrow which is compiled using a newer C++ compiler (Visual Studio 2015). If GGG does not have their custom game engine written to maximize multi-threading will the newer C++ compilers do that more and more automatically? We'll need to get more info.

On the GPU front the industry is poised to unleash the next gen HBM2 video cards for us this summer which should be a significant boost in GPU processing. We've seen the tip of what HBM GPU designs can do with the AMD Fury GPU and that was only HBM1. HBM2 will quadruple the video memory path to 4096 bits wide, all video cards should start at 4 GB and go up from there, and with other things like transistor size cut in half (my old MSI Hawk has 28nm transistors) the power requirements will be significantly reduced so more millions of transistors can be packed in for higher performance without overheating.

So I'm hanging on and playing PoE with my MSI Hawk HD6870 until end of summer or fall when HBM2 video cards should be plentiful (or maybe that'll be the perfect Christmas gift for me).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Mar 2, 2016, 9:31:17 AM
Like Arrowneous, I've a i5 750, 8G memory, SSD. With old 9800GT, POE FPS drops to single digits in temple while CPU load is constantly ~60% or less.

I get myself a 1060 3g version. Now with all top setting, the FPS is in the range of 30-160. Most time it's over 60.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
...I wonder if the two year gap between Arrowneous' post and the necromancer's changes this discussion at all.

I'm sure it won't matter. Technology is practically standing still. If it went any slower, it'd be moving backwards!
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
I noticed a few uninformed fanboy comments so for the sake of balance I run an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and RX580 and have no issues with performance.

As long as your rig isn't ancient I can't see you having too many problems. Just tweak the in game video settings until you're happy with the performance and see how it looks.

I have a 960GTX with 4 gigs RAM and recently upgraded from an old i3 to the newest i5 CPU and the difference is huge. I wasn´t able to play properly on full HD with mid settings and died a lot to freezing screens. Now it runs smooth as hell.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info