I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO FISH...FISH SOME MORE...

+1 for ANY kind of mini-game that breaks the map grinding monotony.
"
RestInPieces wrote:

there are different games available for free you know
I just learned about the fishing rod, and I would also like to see a fishing minigame. I enjoy fishing in any game which contains it; when I go back to replay Ocarina of Time, I easily spend most of my time fishing. Fishing minigames can be anything from a simple way to turn a relaxing break into some extra loot rolls to an engaging task requiring much practice and skill depending on how it's implemented, and I always enjoy seeing different developers' approaches to it. Because fishing is so thematically friendly to a number of different methods of mechanical abstraction, fishing minigames can say a great deal about what a particular dev believes is engaging about games in general.

If there is ever fishing in PoE, it should be appropriate to the game's focus on rich systems and skillful play: still relaxing compared to the core gameplay loop, but difficult to do well, with rewards at the high end that could change a player's role in the economy.

Obviously, fishing spots need to be craftable, just as strongboxes are. The existing game mechanics suggest an interesting variation on that idea: rather than either just being a button that begins a minigame, or an actual plane which you can freely cast your line into, fishing spots could consist of up to six "schools," representing the population and biodiversity of the reef, which can be modified by jew, chrom, and fus. Imagine being the guy selling access to the first 6L fishing hole!

The actual mechanics of hauling in your catch could be a two-axis skill game, modified by the three attributes. The vertical axis is the time pressure, representing how quickly you need to reel it in before it gets off the hook with your bait; this would be easier with more strength. The horizontal axis is a press-your-luck mechanic, representing the fight of the fish and you trying not to snap your line; dexterity makes this part easier. Intelligence just gives you access to better bait, meaning you get to retry more frequently and at a higher rarity.

Of course, PoE is a tough game for its genre, and the fishing minigame should be no exception. It needs to pose risks to the player that other fishing games don't. Perhaps you'd occasionally haul in a shark or some other thing that becomes a monster you need to kill when it reaches land. A 6L pool might contain unique encounters that people will specifically be looking for; imagine landing the Kraken and needing to subdue (or run away from) it. PoE should have the Dark Souls of fishing minigames.

Yeah, this whole post was an excuse to write that line. It's your fault for reading it.

I actually do want a fishing minigame, though.
Furthermore, the Trade Manifesto delenda est.

Bone Mommy did nothing wrong. I want to join the Syndicate.
Last edited by 007Bistromath on Apr 30, 2016, 9:48:05 PM
PoE Prophecy:

Player: What's my prophecy Navali?

Navali: To fish my son, to fish...
"
Peterking72 wrote:
PoE Prophecy:

Player: What's my prophecy Navali?

Navali: To fish my son, to fish...

:P maybe maybe
Fishing Minigames are the few Quick-Time Games I actually enjoy... maybe even toss in some PoE flavor into it like having it make Map-Themed mods or Fishing Exclusive Maps/Uniques.

A Fishing Minigame in the vain of Torchlight where you find Fishing spots. Of course it'd generally be better to clear the enemies near you so you don't waste potential attempts so your characters react similar to unlocking the Rogue Exile Chests.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
There could be also zones where you can catch "corrupted fish", something like the fetid pool in act 1 maybe.

I also like the idea if there were a vendor/fisherman in every town where you can exchange your fish for gear, mods or something that equal in worth to the effort you made hunting down those rare fish.
I know it sounds very similar to divination cards, but it could be made different also.
For example: There would be some mods, gear enchantments which you can only attain from this particular vendor.

Fishoil is also rich in omega 3, so your characters would look more healthy. XD
"
RestInPieces wrote:

Did someone say min-game!? How about we add frogger to the game.
Last edited by Siochan on Jun 9, 2016, 12:03:35 PM
If your stash is a mess like mine, you can play memory while searching for 3x the same map to vendor.
Roma timezone (Italy)
@HellGauss:

Maps I didn't even put to stash anymore. Waste of time to search for them (as you said) and also I didn't have any space for them. :P

@Siochan:

Path of Froggy

Make your way trough the Lord's Labyrinth with Froggy, the ultimate glasscannon character.
Oh wait, he is only "glass" as apparently he has no DPS at all. :P

Or we can make pointless mimi games like the Super Turbo Turkey Puncher in Doom 3. Although someone mentioned that if you reach a certain score you gain access to some goodies you'd otherwise miss out on.

Path of Doom: Wraeclast on Earth!!! XD Or Beyond....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info