Why is it that players who dont play standard

There's a significant portion of the player base that only plays the perm leagues. While it's not a majority, playing in the perm leagues has some benefits:

1) Long term character progression.

2) Mid tier (more common) items are extremely common and thus very cheap.

3) Playing that super geared character you've been working on for a long time.

I still jump into standard myself occasionally to work on some of the characters I have there. And while the economy isn't as vibrant as that of the temp leagues, one shouldn't be playing standard (generally) to try to accumulate wealth. Standard is probably the closest thing to a self found league in the game.

When I first started the game, I ignored the temp leagues because I didn't want to start over. Now that I'm more experienced, I'll usually only play standard to do my dailies, work on my hideout, and occasionally try a new idea. Most of my time in PoE during temp leagues is spent in those leagues accumulating wealth, completing challenges, and enjoying new league mechanics and skills.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Since when do people not play in standard? In the first set of Q & A questions in Jan Chris said 100k people play perm leagues as their main league and it's a safe bet most of them are standard. How many people will be playing talisman next week? Or the week after? Don't let what people say rustle your jimmies. The let's all shit on standard thing is comparable to the internet shitting on Nickelback and Justin Beiber and Dane Cook, it's popular to dislike it, it's a perception of being too good for it. It's just sad people finding things that dont matter to shit on to make themselves feel bigger.
"
yungwhiz wrote:
Since when do people not play in standard? In the first set of Q & A questions in Jan Chris said 100k people play perm leagues as their main league and it's a safe bet most of them are standard. How many people will be playing talisman next week? Or the week after? Don't let what people say rustle your jimmies. The let's all shit on standard thing is comparable to the internet shitting on Nickelback and Justin Beiber and Dane Cook, it's popular to dislike it, it's a perception of being too good for it. It's just sad people finding things that dont matter to shit on to make themselves feel bigger.

Pretty much, yeah.
I wouldn't be surprised to see way more teenagers playing in temp leagues, statistically.
I exclusively play standard, and i'm definitely happy that a part of the community enjoys temp leagues too, but man, when i see some posts in these forums (trolls included) i really feel sorry for the mature players there.
How about a brain-maturity-captcha when creating an account ?
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
"
xhul wrote:

Pretty much, yeah.
I wouldn't be surprised to see way more teenagers playing in temp leagues, statistically.
I exclusively play standard, and i'm definitely happy that a part of the community enjoys temp leagues too, but man, when i see some posts in these forums (trolls included) i really feel sorry for the mature players there.

True gents play temp league HC.

Standard is for ancient people who forget what they were doing after alt+tabbing out of the game.

"
Zinja wrote:

I don't understand this mentality.

They prefer to be running on a wheel for 3 months rather than fully grow up.
Last edited by camapngu133 on Feb 8, 2016, 1:31:20 AM
Even the people who want to play standard are forced to play leagues just to accumulate wealth because trading scene is active there .

i just wish we would have a couple of months of no new leagues once ascendancy hits.

reviving the trade scene on standard
Domine Non Es Dignus
"
xhul wrote:
"
yungwhiz wrote:

Pretty much, yeah.

I guarantee the temp league players are on average a younger demographic.

For one thing they don't have as many obligations, so they have the time to restart every few months.

They also don't have the foresight that adults have, so they have trouble understanding why it is a waste of time to abandon something that has taken effort to build up, or that it is actually more rewarding to play around with previously accumulated resources.

Finally you can see in this thread and others that most temp league players lack the ability to critically think about why they hold their opinions, or if what they are repeating is actually true, or if it is just the popular thing to say. Younger people aren't exactly known for critical thought, but they are known for parroting popular opinions / views so as to fit in. It takes awhile to develop the self confidence to go your own way, and to stand up for what is correct, even if it isn't the popular opinion.

:)
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
I guarantee the temp league players are on average a younger demographic.

For one thing they don't have as many obligations, so they have the time to restart every few months.

They also don't have the foresight that adults have, so they have trouble understanding why it is a waste of time to abandon something that has taken effort to build up, or that it is actually more rewarding to play around with previously accumulated resources.

Finally you can see in this thread and others that most temp league players lack the ability to critically think about why they hold their opinions, or if what they are repeating is actually true, or if it is just the popular thing to say. Younger people aren't exactly known for critical thought, but they are known for parroting popular opinions / views so as to fit in. It takes awhile to develop the self confidence to go your own way, and to stand up for what is correct, even if it isn't the popular opinion.

:)

Yeah.
Kids are kids, and we definitely can't judge them for their lack of maturity.
However, i'm concerned about the new people reading the forums.
I mean, for somebody wanting to see how the community looks like before actually trying the game, what you can read out there is far from appealing.
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
You know economy is more than you, right?

'Improving' trading means everyone gets it easier. Everyone includes:
bots
flippers
bots
no-lifers
bots

...and after they are done trading, there are legit players raging about state of economy. This is what trading improvements looks like in aRPG.

Not a signature.
Also lol at posters here...

So I like to start fresh and try out new builds. I don't get overly attached to character I played for 3 months.

I'm apparently immature o_O
Not a signature.
Last edited by Turbodevil on Feb 8, 2016, 2:04:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info