[2.1] Sossaman's Mjolnadin – strongest while cheapest mjolner? [Video added]
[2.1] Sossaman's Mjolnadin – strongest while cheapest mjolner? [Discharge, Blasphemy, no Voll's req]
Sossaman presents the first incarnation of Mjolnadin.
Credits go to my guild mate for funding my Voll's Devotion (with his Mirror-Drop o_O) and to Dimensi0n for his Thundercane-Mjolner-Build (which I played before and which served as a starting point for designing Mjolnadin).
(Since this is my first build guide, formatting will be subject to constant optimizations.)
Please note: While Mjolnadin is both a quite cheap mjolner-build, as well as explicitly designed to be very strong without Voll's Devotion (presumably the strongest build if you don't have Voll's), mjolner-builds in general are not that beginner-friendly. I recommend you only start playing any mjolner-build, if you are able to improvise your way to lvl 60 (which is the lvl-requirement for mjolner).
Last updated: 2016-01-19
What is Mjolnadin all about:
First of all, Mjolnadin is a play on words, which reminisces both PoE Mjolner and D2 Paladin. ...
• T10 Map – Mjolnadin without Voll's Devotion
(No optimizations; just used my main-char and swapped Kingsguard and Voll's with some rares.)
• clears T10+ maps without Voll's Devotion* (on 4ex budget, Mjolner included)
• facerolls T13+ maps when using Voll's Devotion (on 40ex budget, Voll's Devotion included)
• then plays every single map-affix (reflect, minus max res, curse immune, blood magic, ...)
• most hardcore-viable mjolner-build available?
• uses no legacy-items
• uses no corrupted items/gems
• uses no 6L
• uses no Enlighten/Empower
• uses no Elreon-jewellery
• uses no Vessel of Vinktar
• has no insane chroming-costs for off-color-sockets
• passive tree already complete with level 90 (no Intuitive Leap needed)
• easiest gearing for mjolner-requirements with 4 jewel-slots
*played until level 85 without Voll's Devotion myself.
• Dual-Blasphemy >> Dual-Purity
• Resolute Technique
• Vaal Pact
• Iron Reflexes
• 20k armour with Grace (unflasked)
• 90% physical damage reduction with Grace + Endurance Charges + Chaos Golem (unflasked)
• 34k armour with Grace + Determination (unflasked)
• 97k armour with Grace + Determination (flasked)
• 79% fire/cold/lightning resistances (no purities)
• 19% spell block
• 20% reduced damage taken (Fortify)
• enemies are 42% slower
• enemies deal 33% less damage
• enemies have 51% reduced accuracy Rating
• enemies have 38% reduced critical strike chance
• enemies have 27% reduced critical strike multiplier
(numbers are exemplary for 20/20 gems)
Because this build is called Mjolnadin, we talk auras first:
In our main setup we use:
• Grace (in combination with Iron Reflexes, for defence)
• Haste (because we can ^^, and it's even more fun XD)
• Dual-Blasphemy (core of this build, because Mjolnadin, you know? ^^)
Our Blasphemy-curses are:
• Temp Chains + Enfeeble
(Important: Don't leave out or substitute neither Enfeeble nor Temp Chains!)
Without Voll's Devotion:
Without Voll's Devotion, you may try to use Wrath instead of Haste. Didn't use this myself, though, and was fine, too.
How we adapt to map-affixes:
• physical/elemental reflect: Put map in map device. Activate map device. Play map. ^^
• minus max res: Put map in map device. Activate map device. Play map. ^^
• elemental weakness: Activate Purity of Elements instead of Haste.
• curse immune: Deactivate both Blasphemy-Curses.
While in this case I don't bother with these purities, you can – but don't need to – use Dual-Purity (lightning+fire) in the blue and red sockets of Alpha's Howl. Or – depending on the map-affixes – instead of Dual-Purity either Arctic Armour (swapped with Temp Chains) or Determination. Or additionally deactivate Haste and use Determination and Arctic Armour.
• minus max res + elemental reflect: Deactivate Haste+Enfeeble and use Dual-Purities (lightning+fire) in the blue and red sockets of Alpha's Howl.
• minus max res + elemental reflect + elemental weakness: Either as above, or additionally swap Haste with Purity of Ice.
• blood magic + elemental weakness + minus max res + elemental reflect: Well, this affix-combination you'd better not try in hardcore. ^^
• Atziri: For Double-Vaal and Trio (kill Y'ara'az, the bottom left one, first or second, others don't matter) use Determination instead of Haste. For Atziri herself, deactivate Temp Chains and Haste, swap Dual-Purities (lightning+fire) into the blue and red sockets of Alpha's Howl, and use a warding-flask to remove the reflected Enfeeble. Upon personal preference for all three boss-fights: Swap Arc with Lightning Penetration, Controlled Destruction, or Concentrated Effect.
Items and item prices (softcore):
• Mjolner (~1,5ex in Talisman | ~3ex in Standard)
• Alpha's Howl (~30c in Talisman | ~10c in Standard)
• Doedre's Damning (~20c in Talisman | ~8c in Standard)
• Romira's Banquet (~10c in Talisman | ~25c in Standard)
• Saffell's Frame (~1c in Talisman | ~1c in Standard)
• Fertile Mind Cobalt Jewel* (<1c in Talisman | ~1c in Standard)
• any 5L body armour (in the unlikely case that you only can afford a 4L, leave out faster attacks; I didn't test this, though.)
*for the jewel-slot next to Vaal Pact.
Alpha's Howl vs. Devoto's Devotion:
For this build, Devoto's Devotion is obviously way better than Alpha's Howl. Basically, with Devoto's stats you get a "free" Haste Aura, more movement speed, chaos resistance, and a ton of dexterity.
But to be able to run Grace + Blasphemy + Blasphemy + another Aura, we need 34% reduced mana reserved from the skilltree and 8% reduced mana reserved from Alpha's Howl.
To be able to run the same four auras with Devoto's Devotion you need
• either two Lvl-4-Enlighten
• or one Lvl-4-Enlighten, one Lvl-3-Enlighten, and one Conqueror's Efficiency Jewel.
(And in both cases, you need to move the cwdt-setup into the shield.)
If you can afford that, feel free to use Devoto's Devotion instead. :)
Without this option, we use Alpha's Howl and gain some more flexibility (you can choose whether to use an defensive or offensive aura) and +2 level to socketed aura gems.
• Kingsguard* 5L (~1,5ex in Talisman | ~1ex in Standard)
• Voll's Devotion (10-25ex in Talisman | 25-40ex in Standard ~)
* only useful if also using Voll's Devotion
(Item prices as of Dec. 21st, 2015)
Gloves, boots (both ideally str-based for easy socket-colouring) and belt will be all rare.
Desired rare-item- and jewel-stats:
Item stats in ascending order of importance:
• strength + intelligence (not required at all when using some cheap jewels)
• resistances (obviously all resistances need to be capped; remember: no purities)
• movement speed (boots) / attack speed (gloves)
• armour and/or evasion
Jewel stats in ascending order of importance:
• strength + intelligence (for Mjolner-requirements)
• resistances (if not capped with items)
• dexterity (grace lvl20 requires 155 dex)
• others (spell damage, elemental damage, attack speed, life)
Socket colours and estimated chromatic costs:
• Mjolner: B-B-R (~3 chromatics)
• rare gloves/boots: R-R-R-G (if str-based: ~4 chromatics)
• rare boots/gloves: R-R-R-B (if str-based: ~4 chromatics)
• Alpha's Howl: G-G-B-R (~11 chromatics)
• Saffell's Frame: G-B-B (~15 chromatics)
• body armour: G-G-R-R-R (if str-based: <20 chromatics; for Kingsguard: ~120 with Vorici 1G)
Adapting to map Affixes mentioned above won't require any re-colouring.
(Chromatic costs estimated with https://siveran.github.io/calc.html)
• Body armour: Molten Strike – Multistrike – Blood Magic – Greater Multiple Projectiles – Faster Attacks
• Saffell's Frame: Blasphemy – Temp Chains – Enfeeble / Elemental Weakness
• Mjolner: Discharge – Arc – Life Leech
• Alpha's Howl: Grace – Haste – Purity of Elements – Determination
• Gloves/Boots: Leap Slam – Fortify – Blood Magic – Faster Attacks
• Boots/Gloves: Cast when damage taken - Immortal Call – Increased Duration – Chaos Golem
Gems to quality:
Nice to have:
• Faster Attacks (0,5% attack speed per 1% quality)
• Blasphemy (0,5% curse effectiveness per 1% quality)
• Discharge (0,5% increased area of effect per 1% quality)
Not worth it:
• Dual-Blasphemy >> Dual-Purity
• This build doesn't bother with Lightning Strike or Cyclone and only uses Molten Strike. If you like to do, you have to scrap the Leap-Slam-4L.
Cyclone: Cyclone – Faster Attacks – Blood Magic – Leap Slam / Fortify
Lightning Strike: Lightning Strike – Multistrike – Blood Magic – Faster Attacks / Fortify / Leap Slam
Gem-levels for Cwdt:
• For 4% physical damage reduction from Chaos Golem:
Chaos Golem (lvl 12) -> Cwdt (lvl 10) -> Immortal Call (lvl 12) -> Increased Duration (lvl 20)
• For 3s duration of Immortal Call, if using 20/20 Increased Duration and 4 Endurance Charges:
Immortal Call (16) -> Cwdt (14) -> Chaos Golem (16) -> Increased Duration (20/20)
Always carry a staunching-flask (bleeding-remove). Everything else is up to your personal preference.
Optional affixes in (brackets):
• (Superior) Panicked Divine/Eternal Life Flask of Staunching
• (Superior) (Perpetual) Topaz Flask of Grounding
• (Superior) (Perpetual) Ruby Flask (of Dousing)
• (Superior) (Perpetual) Quicksilver Flask of Warding
• (Superior) (Perpetual) Quicksilver Flask of Staunching
Bandits and passive tree:
• 4 power charges (+1 from bandits) + 4 endurance charges (+1 from tree)
• 3 (4 with Scion) jewel slots (put Fertile Mind next to Vaal Pact)
• 34% reduced mana reserved (+ 8% reduced mana reserved from Alpha's Howl)
• Resolute Technique + Vaal Pact + Iron Reflexes + Unwavering Stance
Normal: Oak (life)
Cruel: Kraityn (attack Speed)
Merciless: Alira (power charge)
You can play this build equally efficient as (in alphabetical order)
• Duelist (+20% attack speed)
• Scion (+1 socket, +26% spell dmg, +5 intelligence)
• Shadow (+56% elemental damage, +12 maximum energy shield)
• Templar (+26% elemental damage, +30% spell damage)
Passive tree (Softcore) with Voll's Devotion:
Same as above, but take Power Charge instead of Endurance Charge.
The level-requirements are: Doedre's Damning 0, Saffell's Frame 59, Mjolner 60, Romira's Banquet 60, Alpha's Howl 64.
Level to 60 with some cookie-cutter meta-build which is not dependent on your passive-tree (or simply improvise on your way to 60), then switch to Mjolner (make sure to reach the mjolner-requirements for strength and intelligence, but with the jewel-slots this should be fairly easy), leave out one aura (Enfeeble or Haste) until you can wear Alpha's Howl with lvl 64. Also make sure to level the most important gems (Discharge, Arc, Grace, Temp Chains, Faster Attacks, Haste) in the second weapon slot.
Ragarding the passive-tree:
Reach out for the sides of the tree first, so that with lvl 60 you have all keystones and the jewel slots, and all aura-nodes with lvl 64. Also make sure to reach the mjolner-requirements for str and int. Then add the missing nodes to your liking.
In alphabetical order:
• Amplify (2 passive points)
• Barbarism (2 points)
• Berserking (3 points)
• Juggernaut (2 points)
• missing life node next to Devotion (1 point)
Last edited by Sossaman_ on Jan 19, 2016, 3:35:22 PM
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2016, 1:52:41 AM
on Dec 26, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
I plan to play discharge in the Talisman league, after two weeks of farming, I finaly was able to buy all 8 cards to get Voll's.Your build looks insteresting for me since after getting voll's I don't have much currency left and cannot afford 6L in the near future.
The reason for me to try discharge is I heard it was a very stong build. I only heard of crit build before which is nerfed in 2.1 due to the surgeon nerf. How strong is RT? Are there some video.
For how strong, I mean, can it run double Kaom (T15) easily for challenge? Can it run Uber in the future when I get 6L.
on Dec 27, 2015, 7:05:23 AM
To be fair, while Mjolnadin is built to be played with a 5L, most other mjolner-builds can be adapted to be played with a 5L, too.
But: If you want to play one of those established, deathless-uber-advertised mjolner-builds, a 6L will be your least problem. They use items like Legacy-Mjolner (50ex), corrupted +1 Voidbringer (45ex), and a lot of other expensive items (and most of these build-guides are not that transparent about this fact, either, unfortunately).
While I don't have the currency to test Double-Kaom or Uber myself, I'm pretty confident that Mjolnadin can pull these off, too. Damage-wise, for single-target, RT-mjolner does more dmg than crit-mjolner (due to the non-deterministic interaction with Romira's Banquet).
As for videos, you may – for now, until there are some mjolnadin-videos available – want to watch the videos linked in the thundercane-build-guide. Just imagine the aura- and blasphemy-magic on top of that. :)
Last edited by Sossaman_ on Jan 1, 2016, 10:51:57 AM
on Dec 27, 2015, 10:49:04 AM
Last edited by CarlThatKillsPeople on Dec 27, 2015, 12:51:26 PM
on Dec 27, 2015, 12:36:13 PM
In this build, Blasphemy insta-curses the whole screen. This would by no means be achievable with Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit, unfortunately.
Also, Blasphemy is the most fundamental design-choice for Mjolnadin. Without Blasphemy, there would be no reminiscence to D2 Paladin, and then Mjolnadin wouldn't be Mjolnadin. ;)
Last edited by Sossaman_ on Jan 1, 2016, 10:54:12 AM
on Dec 27, 2015, 12:59:10 PM
with mjolner being so cheap i love the idea of a starting build that lets you build up currency until you can move into a move voll's devotion centric build. i love the dual curse setup for making it even more faceroll now with blasphemy.
will be rolling this thanks to the mjolner i picked up for 1ex, was wondering tho why molten strike instead of lightning strike? most people swear by lightning strike, i always use cyclone because even tho its not as efficient as either molten or lightning strike i enjoy it a bit more and it feels better.
on Dec 27, 2015, 2:56:36 PM
In the end, Molten Strike / Lightning Strike / Cyclone is only a matter of personal preference, I think.
While Molten Strike is good for packs and very good for single-target, Lightning Strike is insanely good for packs and quite bad for single-target. Therefore most non-Cyclone-builds use them both (ideally in a common 6L, but with the 2.1-changes to Lightning Strike, LS in 2.1 works with a seperate 4L as good as with a seperate 5L/common 6L in 2.0).
I personally don't like Cyclone, and since Molten Strike is for packs more than good enough, I don't bother with a seperate LS-4L either.
If you like Cyclone, just swap Leap Slam with Cyclone. :)
Last edited by Sossaman_ on Jan 1, 2016, 10:55:19 AM
on Dec 27, 2015, 3:20:01 PM
any tips how to level? at which level is it possible to use the build?
Can you link your gear plz?
on Dec 27, 2015, 7:29:12 PM
hello, thanks for spending time to write the guide. However, me and maybe others... also want to have things such as , leveling skill-trees, gear-link, suggest leveling gem-skills and least but not last few videos for demonstrations.... Since new mjolner is pretty "buy-able" but voll amulet be still high-up-to sky ,so I think people will love to test new build out
on Dec 27, 2015, 9:26:41 PM
Interesting concept, however;
130% maximum life for a hardcore viable build? Will that be enough?
The tree has 150 Int, so we need 150 more from gear?
on Dec 28, 2015, 10:31:51 AM