[2.1] Talisman CI/life viper strike build

"
therealjcool wrote:
I think Dual Wield is a great idea, especially for SC. I've made this tree which is a bit better balanced I think:

http://www.exiletools.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2cgU9W9qjBa_df0mlYRvYeLUQlVLtUiMNutjidMRLzY9cFKdqioLbIxd8mKsDki0xRGWtzDC7Azy2-eQGwce6FoFtaXLRwZwVpUuJogGcI2_8uHYdpoT8NVOn1FHY0O5PtvUSVF6fz7P51QwfKxmveYk_Y19LOH_3iP2feNNkqOK7g6xs_zFDHMbrQ2NlWYEsVuvh3YV9gOHexQUdU4q459iedN-GNtM_0p9AAYAXn11dPFDMRmO_roppdrBV5fDM-2DdO0LwVoaCC4FLWBBeu9jcL6nZU29Nkd-hNk=

Now imagine this: We are boosting chaos damage as well as phys, and focus on crit. With something like a Bino's or high crit dagger and 5 power charges, we should be able to near crit cap eventually. Now here comes the beautiful part: We use the same trick as with some reave builds; put an incompatible weapon in offhand. Which weapon you ask? Easy: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Death's_Hand
Not only does it keep us topped up with power charges (hence we take 5th charge from bandit), it also gives us unholy might! Meaning that we get 30% of our (huge) physical damage added as chaos damage! This is a free 30% damage right there that cannot be reflected back to us! And it scales with all our chaos nodes. To further exploit this, I'd consider wearing one http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ming's_Heart - maybe 2 in SC if you wanna go full yolo, but one is enough really. This gives us a chaos res of at least 0, dealing with an annoying problem elegantly and adds another 20% chaos conversion on top, so we now gain 50% of our phys damage as chaos!

To counter the loss of life from ming's and generally the problem that shadow has with life nodes, I'd say wearing a Belly is a must. But even a 4L one with VS - splash - multistrike - melee phys should do a huge amount of damage.
Another item to consider is http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Southbound; it gives up to 16% life, thus negating ming's penalty. We can also disregard this item's downside, as we stack everything with poison which will kill off any enemy once we get them to 0HP.

Finally, for a massive flat HP boost, http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kaom's_Roots can be chosen. At the cost of 4 sockets, we gain armor, unwavering and a double life roll. The fact that these have no MS doesn't hurt us, since we whirling blade everywhere anyway.

Hope I got your imagination going guys :)

Ya the build ideas look fun for SC :). I did a reave build with death's hand, it was a fun build, although progressing in high lvl map became pain, cause the survivability was kind a shit. But if we are ok doing mid tier maps for fun, its gr8.
I am not really sure about the Southbound, I feel that it will kind of hurt clear speed due to the downside of can only kill frozen enemy, but for a yolo build we can try dropping grace for hatred, and it might work. Cause with crits you will freeze mobs a lot.
Ming's heart and Kaom's roots looks like will work, just keep in mind you will be loosing four sockets, but anyways, since we gaining power charges from death's hand, I guess it should be ok.

I agree it'll be fun yolo build, and can be doable, only remember it won't be feasible for high end content, and mostly will be viable clearing mid-tear content, which is not too bad imo, it's like an another good variant of the build. I'll add it to the build list for the yolo part :).
Funny you'd call this build "yolo" - I'll be running it in Talisman HC :D
With 166% life from tree + assuming a 40% Belly, you get 206% life - thats a lot for the damage really. Even with ming's and no Southbound, 190% is still respectable.
I agree it probably won't be able to do core Malachai, but should be fine up to 77/78 maps which is enough for a first char in a league IMO.

And I feel you havn't quite udnerstood my point about using Southbound, so I'll try to explain better: With Viper strike, we apply poison stacks to mobs. We hit them withour direct damage until they reach 0HP, but don't die due to Southbound.
Now, the poison stacks are DoT and not direct attack damage from us; therefore I assume the poison stacks will finish the last 1HP and kill mobs :)
I post this again and hope you answer me OP:

Thanks for sharing your build! I have three questions about it:

1. Do you think its HC viable?
2. For what is the Spectral throw gem setup?
3. Should I aim for AR/EVA Gear or pure AR or EVA? Whats most efficient when we have IR?

Thanks!
"
Ir4kandj7 wrote:
I post this again and hope you answer me OP:

Thanks for sharing your build! I have three questions about it:

1. Do you think its HC viable?
2. For what is the Spectral throw gem setup?
3. Should I aim for AR/EVA Gear or pure AR or EVA? Whats most efficient when we have IR?

Thanks!

Sorry I missed your earlier post.
1. The build is HC viable, just be aware this is not a faceroll build. The build has high survivability but do use whirling blades to get out of danger quickly. As we are using blood magic with whirling blade, it makes sure you don't run out of mana when you need to escape. Also make sure to get high HP items. Whenever there is a choice b/w dps and survivability, I would recommend go with survivability. In the end game, try to get your hands on lightning coil, it is a good means to reduce incoming damage.
2. The spectral throw is used for gaining power charges using the gem power charge on critical. Also, it is useful to kill bosses when they drop less than 10% life using culling strike.
3. As we've taken IR you can wear, any of AR, EV or combination, all will be converted to AR.

Good luck for the new league :)
"
therealjcool wrote:
Funny you'd call this build "yolo" - I'll be running it in Talisman HC :D
With 166% life from tree + assuming a 40% Belly, you get 206% life - thats a lot for the damage really. Even with ming's and no Southbound, 190% is still respectable.
I agree it probably won't be able to do core Malachai, but should be fine up to 77/78 maps which is enough for a first char in a league IMO.

And I feel you havn't quite udnerstood my point about using Southbound, so I'll try to explain better: With Viper strike, we apply poison stacks to mobs. We hit them withour direct damage until they reach 0HP, but don't die due to Southbound.
Now, the poison stacks are DoT and not direct attack damage from us; therefore I assume the poison stacks will finish the last 1HP and kill mobs :)

Well the reason I don't think it is very good for survivability is:
1. We are dropping shield, which is very good source of armor and block chance. I really don't like loosing shield.
2. Even with high life pool, I've seen people getting one shotted with even like 6K life. You know all those bad modes and rare monster combinations can be deadly, and since there's no shield there'll be even less armor to absorb that.
3. Also with 2.0, monsters now hit harder, especially in high tier maps. I believe you can do till like lvl 76 maps no problem with the build, but I think past lvl 76 it'll be bit difficult. A good player with game knowledge can manage it, but for most of the players it is not as viable.

Yes good point about Southbound the hit that is supposed to kill the monster will drop it to 1HP and then it'll die cause of DOT. However, there is catch here, melee splash as I understand won't spread poison, so the monster close to you will die cause of this mechanic, but still the monster far away won't be poisoned and will need to be hit for dot application. That is the reason, I mentioned using hatred as it will freeze monsters on crit. and they'll die by melee splash. But then you'll have to drop grace aura, which is something I don't feel comfortable about.
So then what would pathing look like when leveling with the claw build? Would the idea be to rush IR then go from there?
Last edited by sagerninja on Dec 10, 2015, 12:21:07 AM
Ya, rush to IR picking up life nodes in the way, that's good for lvling. I have added leveling skill tree for crit life based build, you can lvl claw build in similar fashion.
Last edited by Tereng on Dec 10, 2015, 1:27:58 AM
"
Tereng wrote:

Well the reason I don't think it is very good for survivability is:
1. We are dropping shield, which is very good source of armor and block chance. I really don't like loosing shield.
2. Even with high life pool, I've seen people getting one shotted with even like 6K life. You know all those bad modes and rare monster combinations can be deadly, and since there's no shield there'll be even less armor to absorb that.
3. Also with 2.0, monsters now hit harder, especially in high tier maps. I believe you can do till like lvl 76 maps no problem with the build, but I think past lvl 76 it'll be bit difficult. A good player with game knowledge can manage it, but for most of the players it is not as viable.

Yes good point about Southbound the hit that is supposed to kill the monster will drop it to 1HP and then it'll die cause of DOT. However, there is catch here, melee splash as I understand won't spread poison, so the monster close to you will die cause of this mechanic, but still the monster far away won't be poisoned and will need to be hit for dot application. That is the reason, I mentioned using hatred as it will freeze monsters on crit. and they'll die by melee splash. But then you'll have to drop grace aura, which is something I don't feel comfortable about.

Ah, didn't think about splash not spreading the poison stacks. You are right then, using Southbound only makes sense when paired with high crit and Hatred.
However, I don't agree on a shield making this much difference. Assuming we run grace, we should get well over 10k armor endgame anyway. Whether you have 10k or 15k doesn't make a whole lot of difference vs. big hits, as armor is not very effective against the really big phys hits like Kole (Colonnade Boss).
Assuming 10K armor, 6k life, fortify and AA up, there is no "normal" hit that should be able to 1shot the char. Except the usual Vaal/Dom/Mala Smash ofc, and those will 1hit you anyway, shield or not.
Only endurance charges, AA and fortify (and of course IC) will help there; a couple thousand armor won't. All you gain from shield is a life roll and some reistances/stats, and a bit higher block chance than with DW.
Check out this amazing spreadsheet to see the impact of various defensive options:
https://jsfiddle.net/1qpx41wm/2/embedded/result/
Last edited by therealjcool on Dec 10, 2015, 6:12:24 AM
"
therealjcool wrote:

Ah, didn't think about splash not spreading the poison stacks.

So what this means is only the initial target is getting poisoned and the others around hit by the splash effect will not suffer any DoT damage, only the initial hit ? If that is the case it really sucks.
IGN : @Morgoth
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
"
therealjcool wrote:

Ah, didn't think about splash not spreading the poison stacks.

So what this means is only the initial target is getting poisoned and the others around hit by the splash effect will not suffer any DoT damage, only the initial hit ? If that is the case it really sucks.

At this point we are just speculating. But even if the DoT is only for main target, it's not so bad. The trash will die instantly anyway, what we want is maximum damage on rares/exiles/bosses - which we get either way.
Viperstrike is a boss killer spec, plain and simple.
Last edited by therealjcool on Dec 10, 2015, 8:22:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info