(2.2) Demopolos' Windripper: 197k LA Chain/270k SA Chain/300k TS/821k Burning Arrow

I am getting pumped for all of the new options opening up! Wow, can't believe we finally get to drop LL and BM from our 6Ls... this makes this build much more competitive relative to mirror phys bow builds, now that these options are available to us too! Over the next few days I'll update OP with a new version of the build that takes advantage of these changes.

I uploaded a 2:15 Gorge speed run for fun, to show the pace on easy content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHc-X0sSM3o

"
JimmyTrac07 wrote:
ya your clear speed is too fast for the ignite to matter but i was thinking about rolling ele crit for the new league think it might be useful ill prob end up lvling both also forgot bout the jewels thx.
also thinking about going TS picking up 12% mana reserve + empower with some mana leech
might test this out on standard later and see how it goes

TS got a 10% dmg buff and SA lost 2 arrows at lvl 20 gonna go with ts for this league
also tested the empower/reserve TS-GMP-WED-added cold-added light-mana leech (switching to pcoc)
mana wasnt a problem at all
also what do you think about switching the curse? if we use pcoc

Yep, I totally agree that anger is an awesome aura, and I plan to run it in any version of the build not using dual herald + coh + assass mark setup for power charges.

Now that we have 2 links freed up, I think that using pcoc and dropping the curse on hit setup is really good option. This will allow us to use better auras (drop herald of thunder for anger, and maybe add empower with some additional aura nodes), and keep our power charges up even more reliably (relevant vs some tough bosses and uber atziri). Another huge advantage of using pcoc, is that we can use ele weak implicit gloves! This seems like a possible BiS option to test.

"
cmphx wrote:
https://poe.mikelat.com/#JTE=hl/9sZxEBo/xZkRgl

enlighten only on wrath. 3 points into charisma. about 600 base mana now with mana improvements, i.e. about 100 unreserved mana. is that enough? Would acuity make it viable?

both buffs to tornado and lightning arrow make them look really sweet. i guess they are better than SA now.

and the buff to barrage ... omfg. thats a huge one. just do the math how much damage barrage+gmp does now .... lel. if you can get 6 dps links (i.e. no bm or ll) on barrage, holy cow !

That amount of mana seems fine, and definitely would work with 1-2 mana leech nodes + acuity. My instinct is that if we can make the mana work with leech and a couple of mana gain on hit mods (probably on jewels), that maligaro's with ele weak on hit implicit will be BiS (using pcoc on 6L). The more I think about this, the more excited I am to start testing different versions of these two setups:

-LA - gmp - chain - WED - added light - added cold AND either a frenzy or barrage 6L for single target (using old curse setup with heralds, and enlighten on wrath as you said)

-TS - gmp - WED - added light - added cold - pcoc AND use other 6L for empowered and enlightened aura setup with some passive support (probably using wrath / anger / herald of ice... picking up auto ele weak curse on maligaros)
Last edited by demopolos on Dec 9, 2015, 11:28:22 PM
agreed, pcoc might be very interesting. also i highly reccomend LA now - the pack-oneshot capability is incredibly good and will increase the clearspeed even more (lol) so it mainly depends now on how much movespeed you can get :D

Tornadoshot also has great single target - with the buff to damage, even more so. i'm looking forward to your testing & opinions !

And i do agree that a COH legacy maligaro might be BIS now - though i prefer a rare glove with attackspeed, life and resist since dps for sure will be enough anyways :D
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
Hi guys! I spent some time looking at others trees, and testing with the gear I have available. I updated OP with the best of the options I tried (including new screenshots/gear/tree). Here's what I and ended up with:

Build Highlights:
- 140-180k split arrow/chain for aoe
- 411-527k burning arrow for single target
- 4.2k + life / 110 regen/sec / 2.4% instant life leech
- 22k + evasion / 4k + armour
- 40% dodge / 30% spell dodge
- 75/75/75% ele res (really always 75/75/85)
- 95% crit for 100% surgeon's flask uptime
- Reflect isn't an issue due to 2.4% leech in tree + acuity (or VP) + perma topaz flask (dmg mostly lightning)
- Free 75 iir 25 iiq in build without losing dps

Really happy with this! Ended up gaining 25k ish buffed split arrow damage, better single target dps with new burning arrow vs old frenzy, and got 110 regen a sec which is hugely helpful with bloodrage (thanks to acuity's working for us now).

"
cmphx wrote:
agreed, pcoc might be very interesting. also i highly reccomend LA now - the pack-oneshot capability is incredibly good and will increase the clearspeed even more (lol) so it mainly depends now on how much movespeed you can get :D

Tornadoshot also has great single target - with the buff to damage, even more so. i'm looking forward to your testing & opinions !

And i do agree that a COH legacy maligaro might be BIS now - though i prefer a rare glove with attackspeed, life and resist since dps for sure will be enough anyways :D

PCOC is a very viable option. To min max around this, I think you want +1 atziri steps with level 4 enlighten, and running anger - wrath - herald of ice (dropping curse on hit setup). To make this work smoothly we need to run 2 elreon (instead of the 1 I am currently running) without adding aura nodes.

I tried LA, and it seems really good! For me, it's nearly double the mana cost of split arrow, and with current setup I end up autoattacking now and then unless I am really careful. I am not sure if it is worth spending 2-4 passives (at least, it seems) to get more mana to run this setup, vs just using split arrow with current tree.

I think that tornado shot is a really viable way to go with the build. IMO it's best as both aoe and single target using legacy kaom's... but I'm currently at 0 ex, so this isn't something I can try to test. :)

Regarding COH malig... basically they are BiS for BM version, and acuity is BiS for mana version (and really the only way to make this work efficiently I think). I'm going to try to get a couple levels with current setup, then might compare the bm/coh version's performance! I do like the less pressured play with acuity, as now we have minimal degen from BR due to not having to take VP.

Last edited by demopolos on Dec 14, 2015, 1:23:25 AM
Your build seems nice :D

Can you give any tips on leveling one?
I tried to do an Ele Ranger this league but I felt my damage was very bad with Split Arrow >_<

@edit: I remember also having the same problem as Ele KBer back in Warbands. I always felt I was dealing little-to-zero damage.
Last edited by FlammDumbFox on Dec 14, 2015, 3:30:07 AM
"

I tried to do an Ele Ranger this league but I felt my damage was very bad with Split Arrow >_<

@edit: I remember also having the same problem as Ele KBer back in Warbands. I always felt I was dealing little-to-zero damage.

Use Tornado Shot instead, Split Arrow is pretty garbage while levelling, but LMP+Tornado Shot can do some good work even in a 4L with crap beginner gear. I'm currently levelling with a Death's Harp using TS+LMP+WED+FA, and just started Merciless, my past experience with this strategy is while using Wrath+Double Herald you can get around 50-60% crit chance(which is spikey as hell, unfortunately) but due to the +100% crit multi, that still puts you around a 10k tooltip DPS Tornado Shot as you enter maps with a 5L/Tabula. It's a pretty cheap way to get started, and is reasonably simple without being excruciatingly slow.

Things obviously get much better when you finally buy a real bow.

"
demopolos wrote:
Regarding COH malig... basically they are BiS for BM version, and acuity is BiS for mana version (and really the only way to make this work efficiently I think). I'm going to try to get a couple levels with current setup, then might compare the bm/coh version's performance! I do like the less pressured play with acuity, as now we have minimal degen from BR due to not having to take VP.

I honestly don't think BM versions should exist anymore. Everyone's massively overestimating how much investment it takes to sustain off of mana. I'll be testing it out with ghetto gear in Talisman shortly(Not quite progressed far enough to have anything of value to say on that front).

But testing on Standard, I found sustaining off of mana to be incredibly easy. No Acuities required(Although Acuities may still be BiS anyways), didn't even need Charisma, since I had a level 4 Enlighten. instead of spending 3 points on Charisma, I spent 4 points on mana nodes. This left me with the same 100ish unreserved mana, but I had a larger mana pool, meaning a higher leech cap. The only mana leech node I took was the 0.4% mana/life hybrid node, and that one's needed to fully replace Life Leech anyways. I was running a Wrath+Double Herald with a L4 Enlighten on the Wrath.

I only had about 4.5 attacks/second, so that could be stress tested more with a better geared character, but even with perma-Vaal Haste from Chill of Corruption I was never running out of mana. This was easy to do with a 6L Split Arrow, and 6L Frenzy, I would assume a 6L Burning Arrow would be much the same. Much like the issues you had, Lightning Arrow just wasn't possible, but maybe it can be done with more investment.

TLDR: What this means, is instead of taking 4 damage nodes, you take 4 mana nodes instead, and this gives you an extra gem socket, which can be something like +80% crit multi, or +55% attack speed. Which is definitely better than anything you could do with the 4 passive points and Blood Magic.

In Talisman I have a feeling I'll be limited to just Wrath+HoI for a while before I can do Wrath+Double Herald due to doing it entirely on mana. But look at it this way, drop HoT, and use Added Cold instead. There's no competition as to which does more damage. I just don't see Blood Magic being a thing on Windrippers anymore.
Last edited by Shotgun_Surgeon on Dec 14, 2015, 3:21:55 PM
"

I think Shotgun_Surgeon is spot on with his advice. Especially about TS scaling better until you have a higher dps setup (even at endgame, just replace SA and chain with TS and GMP, and use the same links as I have in OP).

As links are so important on bow builds, I highly recommend getting a tabula to start, and leveling with whatever bow has the highest speed, crit, and flat elemental you can find. At level 1, you can use Storm Could, and at level 32 you can use Death's Harp. After this shoot for a rare that is an upgrade, or if you can afford it, a non-legacy windripper.... they are very solid, and in standard I see them for 3 ex without links (unneeded alongside tabula).

Also, if you can get your hands on 2 elreon rings with - 8 mana cost, they are incredibly OP for leveling, and can totally trivialize mana costs. Any other and other helpful stats you get are just a bonus, but some combination of crit, WED, life, attack speed, resists, flat elemental damage) is really awesome. See crit ring I multimodded in my gear in OP for an endgame example.

Maligaro's are incredible for leveling if they are affordable for you... as this is a crit build, this really helps early on as you are haven't had a chance to grab all the gg bow crit nodes in tree yet. They are incredibly OP at lvl 21!

Low level req necks with some combination of crit chance, crit multi, weapon elemental damage, flat elemental damage... are a big boost offensively too.

Keep in mind that your flat elemental damage bonuses are what everything scales off of. This means figuring out a way to run all or most of the auras as you level will drastically boost your damage (wrath/herald of ice/herald of thunder). Although they lack movement speed, Wake of Destruction boots have a massive 1-120 lightning damage roll on them, and can be used at level 28 if you are hurting for damage. Sneaking some extra flat elemental damage or WED on your rares is a big help as well.

Hope this is useful!

"

I honestly don't think BM versions should exist anymore. Everyone's massively overestimating how much investment it takes to sustain off of mana. I'll be testing it out with ghetto gear in Talisman shortly(Not quite progressed far enough to have anything of value to say on that front).

But testing on Standard, I found sustaining off of mana to be incredibly easy. No Acuities required(Although Acuities may still be BiS anyways), didn't even need Charisma, since I had a level 4 Enlighten. instead of spending 3 points on Charisma, I spent 4 points on mana nodes. This left me with the same 100ish unreserved mana, but I had a larger mana pool, meaning a higher leech cap. The only mana leech node I took was the 0.4% mana/life hybrid node, and that one's needed to fully replace Life Leech anyways. I was running a Wrath+Double Herald with a L4 Enlighten on the Wrath.

I only had about 4.5 attacks/second, so that could be stress tested more with a better geared character, but even with perma-Vaal Haste from Chill of Corruption I was never running out of mana. This was easy to do with a 6L Split Arrow, and 6L Frenzy, I would assume a 6L Burning Arrow would be much the same. Much like the issues you had, Lightning Arrow just wasn't possible, but maybe it can be done with more investment.

TLDR: What this means, is instead of taking 4 damage nodes, you take 4 mana nodes instead, and this gives you an extra gem socket, which can be something like +80% crit multi, or +55% attack speed. Which is definitely better than anything you could do with the 4 passive points and Blood Magic.

In Talisman I have a feeling I'll be limited to just Wrath+HoI for a while before I can do Wrath+Double Herald due to doing it entirely on mana. But look at it this way, drop HoT, and use Added Cold instead. There's no competition as to which does more damage. I just don't see Blood Magic being a thing on Windrippers anymore.

I just tested again without acuity, and I must say... I totally agree with you, there is no reason for anyone to use BM at all. For my build, 2 nodes in mana is more than enough to make up for the instant leech loss on acuity, and that might not even be needed.

In testing... I just made the following changes:

-Swapped out acuity for legacy maligaros
-Swapped out elreon rare ring, for big int rare ring (to hit cap without acuity)
-Swapped a 5 % life node for vaal pact

This resulted in:
-upgrade to 169-215k split arrow (up from 140-180k)
-upgrade to 481-616k burning arrow (up from 411-527k)
- loss of 260 life
- loss of 110 regen/sec

This is a really substantial dps increase, at the cost of more annoying bloodrage degen and a little life. It also is much less expensive (60 ex acuity vs 20 ex perfect maligaros). This is a little riskier for leveling, but will certainly result in even faster clears.
Updated OP with specific details of the VP/Maligaro version, as compared to the acuity version. You will find the gear and tree for each of these setups, along with screens of my current stats. I also added section with leveling tips!

I'll try to find some time to record some new videos, as the clear speed should have gone up a ton (140 max SA dps in 2.0 / 215k max SA dps in 2.1).

Let me know if you guys have any questions, or any more feedback! :)
"
"

Use Tornado Shot instead, Split Arrow is pretty garbage while levelling, but LMP+Tornado Shot can do some good work even in a 4L with crap beginner gear. I'm currently levelling with a Death's Harp using TS+LMP+WED+FA, and just started Merciless, my past experience with this strategy is while using Wrath+Double Herald you can get around 50-60% crit chance(which is spikey as hell, unfortunately) but due to the +100% crit multi, that still puts you around a 10k tooltip DPS Tornado Shot as you enter maps with a 5L/Tabula. It's a pretty cheap way to get started, and is reasonably simple without being excruciatingly slow.

Things obviously get much better when you finally buy a real bow.

Even Tornado Shot does not feel that good [or maybe I just don't like it :P].
I found, however, that Blast Rain/Rain of Arrows is pretty good lol.

Thanks ^-^
"

Thanks ^-^

Something to note about Tornado Shot is that it does require aiming: to get the "sweet spot" you need to aim directly behind your target, and then TS deals far far more damage than it would otherwise. This might be what you don't like! The huge upside of the skill is that it is very well suited for both aoe and single target dmg on a single set of links, unlike most of our options.

We have a lot of viable bow skills now, all of which work well with the build. I was testing Rain of Arrows last night, and without factoring in vaal haste/atziri flask, had 430k damage with conc effect, and 282k damage with AoE gem. It felt really good, and is definitely cool looking and fun!

Lightning arrow seems very promising despite having much lower paper dps with gmp/chain on it than other options. It, however, is much more expensive mana-wise. I am going to toss on an extra 2 mana nodes and do some testing with it tonight!
"
demopolos wrote:
"

Thanks ^-^

Something to note about Tornado Shot is that it does require aiming: to get the "sweet spot" you need to aim directly behind your target, and then TS deals far far more damage than it would otherwise. This might be what you don't like! The huge upside of the skill is that it is very well suited for both aoe and single target dmg on a single set of links, unlike most of our options.

We have a lot of viable bow skills now, all of which work well with the build. I was testing Rain of Arrows last night, and without factoring in vaal haste/atziri flask, had 430k damage with conc effect, and 282k damage with AoE gem. It felt really good, and is definitely cool looking and fun!

Lightning arrow seems very promising despite having much lower paper dps with gmp/chain on it than other options. It, however, is much more expensive mana-wise. I am going to toss on an extra 2 mana nodes and do some testing with it tonight!

After a while, Blast Rain/Rain of Arrows became innefective [well, just not good enough] for me and I started to use TS. It still feels somewhat clunky, but I got up to 127mil xp/h in Merciless Dried Lake in a 4l and a rare bow while I was getting like 71mil xp/h with Blast Rain ^-^.

I'm definitely trying LA out when I get a 5l on my Hyrri's [I'm on talisman btw and I suck at getting currency, but I'm trying :P].

Again, thanks a lot :D

@Edit: it feels really awesome to see that you added a 'Leveling Tips' section with quite a lot of QUALITY information. Also, did not know something like 'Wake of Destruction' existed. I love the fact I learn at least one thing every day I play PoE ♥.
Last edited by FlammDumbFox on Dec 16, 2015, 4:50:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info