Item Development - Threshold Jewels

Would be a lot more excited if the fireball gem gave a 10% chance of pierced/forked/chained fireball projectiles also exploding on things they hit.

Aww well, Heavy Strike jewel mean I have to make dumb stunlock builds again.

Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
These are extremely underwhelming. Not only do you have to spend 2-3 skill points for a jewel slot, you have to actually find the jewel (good luck with that) and then waste even more skill points filling in attribute nodes nearby to get it to do anything. Even if you're only putting one in the tree instead of stacking them as GGG wants, that's a lot of wasted points that could otherwise be used on, or pathing to, notables.

The mechanics shown are pretty neat but they really should just be part of the base skills. The fact you have to invest 3+ nodes in order to get them on par with any other skill in the game (even if the changes from the jewel do that - these ones will not) means that they're extra cost for no real benefit compared to simply using another skill.

They'll still be as dead as they are now even after the update, but now we'll have many more unique jewels filling up the drop table that nobody will use.
Since they already posted it here, this are not going to change... I'm pretty sad about ST jewel, it's so underwhelming :(

Better use is to clear packs of white / blue mobs. You definitely dont need it, anyone that plays POE knows that you have to care about rare / exile / boss.

Dont get me wrong, I love the concept of threshold jewels, but this ST one is just useless when you need it more.

I loved the Hypothermia, but you cant use it on Atziri, but at least you can use it on the rest of the game.
Innervate and Ice bite suffer even more, it's like this ST jewel, you cant get the benefit when you most need it.

I really hope you release something that we can get a REAL benefit from. I give up on ST since it was already anounced.

Good Job anyways, it's a nice concept, I just feel bad for it being lackluster again. Please consider then make it as a container of the respective active skill, so you can equip it on your sockets without cust, at least for the ST one.
Last edited by swib on Nov 17, 2015, 10:37:14 PM
Great job on adding another layer of customization! Perhaps we can see something like Threshold notables? example: Have a new notable available only when other notables are allocated,just an idea that's been on my mind. can't wait till this friday ! cheers! :)
These are amazing. But if I may, I think the implications to each specific jewel kind of still force the hand to play a meta way. Don't get me wrong, but if I could make a suggestion or rather just a neat idea that comes to mind (I do not know if certain aspects would be too unfair). For example the spectral throw jewel, this skill, gear, and support gems feel too shackled to dexterity. Which goes for any given skill in theory.

But I think it would be neat if lets say same spectral throw jewel alternatively grant either 4% per hit if 50 strength is allocated, or... 5% global crit chance if 50 intelligence allocated, or 1 additional projectile if 50 dexterity is allocated.

I promote such open minded ideas due to my satisfaction in jewels yet disappointment that due to the jewel scion has swept in and taken over the classic summoner by storm.

My 13 jewel srs mf scion 143% iiq 267% iir is almost better than my main witch summoner in general. Which is hard to do...
Phys/Ele Spectral Throw is back ? Realy? Will see.. :D
Start playing in Feb 9, 2013
My KineticBlast LL ML 400kDPS GMP /view-thread/1466693
Asus LGA1155 P8P67 / Intel Core i5-2500@4GHz / Corsair Vengeance 16GB@1600MHz
Asus GTX970 STRIX 4GB / Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1
Acer 27 IPS 2560x1440@144Hz [XF270HU] + BenQ 24 TN-film 1920x1080@120Hz [XL2420T]
Omg I love this so much, the idea of HEAVILY specing into 1 skill is a very accepted idea and practice with us PoE'ers with skills like Cyclone and Reave where if you aren't using the skill your doing it wrong and there literally i only room for a movement skill and THATS IT. So if we can spec even more into these skills I'mm 100% down.

I do have 1 question tho: It sounds like these Jewels will be happening in waves, would you be able to tell us how many waves there will be? I'm expecting to see the answer in the patch notes but I'm really hyped now.

I'm WAY overhyped about Viper Strike maybe being viable again and to think that I might be able to spec into it so heavily that I won't have to use Contagion and Desecrate with vuln+Temp Chains auras just to make it viable is starting to push me over the edge of the proverbial hype cliff.
seems nice.
Intriguing.

*chinrub*
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Skill-specific jewels have me a bit concerned about the balance you guys will be doing with the skills. However, given the opportunity cost of losing a jewel slot to them to specifically buff a certain skill... Eh, maybe it'll work out. Just please make sure to have the effects actually be interesting please? As others have mentioned, the ST jewel doesn't look worthwhile or interesting because the damage bonus is dependent on how many targets it goes through and the bonus itself is mediocre. Being able to make it useful compared to a regular jewel isn't so much a niche thing as praying to the RNG gods for huge pack sizes.

Supposedly this is why you test these things on temp leagues, but it doesn't really feel like you guys make many changes to stuff that was noted again and again as having issues until well past the time the temp leagues have been phased out.
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on Nov 17, 2015, 10:45:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info