One-month Flashback Events: Progress and Feedback

For feedback on mapping, I can't say my personal experience has been great. I was struggling to get above low level maps for some reason, and I never even found a 75+ map, despite alching and chiseling 72+ maps, which I usually don't even have to do (I got my onslaught challenge with the Malstrom of Chaos boss). I understand RNG is RNG, and that many people seem to have been enjoying better map yields, but I don't see a reason to throw out valid data just because it doesn't fit the trend you were hoping to see. I suspect I would eventually have more fun with maps if I kept trying, but my awful luck combined with too many close encounters with Bameth made me give up after a while and just start leveling another character...

And as for map tiers, I thought I would get used to them and learn to accept them, but I was wrong. I still hate them, and I still don't see how GGG could possibly think they make appropriate character levels for various content less confusing for new players. Should I have run my "tier 1" map I found earlier in this new map device I got access to at level 60? If a new player is wondering when they might want to run their first map, they'll almost certainly figure out the monster level from other players, the wiki, or even the map info if they enter it first, and then you're back to square one with that small set of stubborn players who are determined to only play content with monster level matching their character level for all eternity (despite already seeing difficulty ramp up much faster than their power does with each level in Merciless). And as for most of the knowledgeable and experienced players, well... tiers are just annoying and confusing when you forget what monster level they correspond to. If you must continue with this tier nonsense, at least add some way to see the map/monster level before you actually let the the map device consume your precious meep (i.e. also display level below the tier, or display level when hovering over the map while holding the "alt" key).
Drawn by a haunting voice, you come to the PoE forums. It is an odd place, filled with a motley assortment of feedback... and shameless trolling. There, the whining posts are all around you, and the gamers are silent, as the grind takes ahold of them. One by one, their lives seem lost to its call.
Map tiers are still bad
If you press tab in map you get the level, if you drop a map you get tier
So wtf I've just got?
Levels are a lot better, more in line with the whole game, more intuitive
After all, you still need to know the level of the map, so tiers are just confusing and annoying

The map drop in 74+ blue maps, at least, is very bad even in a 4-6 party
I've done 19/20 challenges, but I still need to find a warband leader.
This means waiting until monday...

As for mapping, I can repeat what I said earlier on the 7th of october:
"I'm very worried about the new map system.

Right now I have a hard time breaking through to tier 7-8. I've run about 15 tier 5 maps and 10 tier 6 maps and I've only gotten 1 tier 8 map and no 7s. I've gotten a hard time just maintaining the tier 5 and 6 maps and I'm currently out of 6s.
I've tried Chiseling, alchs, running un-id rares, running 100+ rarity, killing every monster+boss on the maps, opening every chest and smashing every container, vendoring low lvl maps to get higher tiers. Nothing has brought me a 7 and with only one 8, I'm worried that it bricks as well.

With the old system (2.0.3), I was cruising at lvl 75-77(tier 8-10) maps. And it wasn't destroying my economy at a ridicules low level map tier.
I'm currently lvl 84 going on 85. Running tier 4 and 5 is pretty easy, but the xp is boringly low.

here's my current map pool:

It seems to me that the variance of the map-drop system is too high and should be much more dependable. This would also mean that RNG wouldn't treat players in such a different manor as it does now."

Kind regards
NoNamium

PS: I really dislike the new tier system. I have to translate it in my head every time I put in a map. I had a better "feel" for the difficulty when the monster level was apparent, but now tiers mean nothing to me and putting in a tier 5 map... is ... uhm ... then a 67 + 5 = 72 map... ok, lets go...

In diablo 3 you cannot get insta-killed as easily, thus if you throw out too high a tier, the damage is not that great, but in POE you have to be sure about the difficulty of a map.

EDIT: Oh, and I hate the fact that when I want to search my map pool using the fantastic search function in stash-tabs, I now have to write ex. "tier: 4", but the "tier:" is pointless, since every word is matched limited by spaces. This means that any map with quality 4, quality 14 or tier 14 is also matched. At least when you were looking for a level 71 map in the old days, "71" would match exactly the maps you were searching for.
Last edited by NoNamium on Oct 16, 2015, 2:09:53 AM
"
NoNamium wrote:

Right now I have a hard time breaking through to tier 7-8. I've run about 15 tier 5 maps and 10 tier 6 maps and I've only gotten 1 tier 8 map and no 7s. I've gotten a hard time just maintaining the tier 5 and 6 maps and I'm currently out of 6s.

It is just last two days that I managed to break into mid-tier maps. And I have been running at least 10 tier 5 and 10 tier 6 per day for the past week. So I think you still need longer sessions of mapping on the tier 5 and 6 before you make it to mid tier maps. Personally, I found that quite enjoyable. The grind duration felt just about right.
A lot of people are complaining about map tiers. I don't mind them much, my only beef is that it doesn't say the monster level on the map item itself and at the same time it doesn't show the tier while in the map. Chris said in the podcast they would be adding the tier indication to the maps but I'd like to see something on the map items. I think this would solve a lot of the issues most people complain about.

As far as the flashback, Beyond is annoying and their damage is insanely higher than any of the surrounding monsters...though I think the devs know this.
Drop rate doesn't matter too much imho, but "+2 is only from the map bosses" and "no maps any more from unique monsters" are what make 2.0 mapping boring. The +2 change forces players to run the same level (tier) of maps over and over again. Disabling map drop from unique monsters makes exiles/beyond/warbands fight just like getting rid of danger. Yeah loot from those is awesome, but we map to get maps so...

Please give us back 1.3 mapping. 1.3 mapping + bunch of new tile set from act 4 would be a lot better.
Nice stats
Harsh RNG, fair trade is dead, botting everywhere, oneshot mechanic -=RIP=-
"
hohenheim__ wrote:
"
NoNamium wrote:

It is just last two days that I managed to break into mid-tier maps. And I have been running at least 10 tier 5 and 10 tier 6 per day for the past week. So I think you still need longer sessions of mapping on the tier 5 and 6 before you make it to mid tier maps. Personally, I found that quite enjoyable. The grind duration felt just about right.

Please re-read my qualifier:
"As for mapping, I can repeat what I said earlier:"

I wrote that post 9 days ago on the 7th.

The situation has improved somewhat, but not enough to make a real difference.
1. I'm tired of having to start all over again and again and again. last league I play, it takes WAAAAAYYYYYY too long to get even through normal, I don't have time for that shit. after this one it's standard forever

solution -> dynasty system. like in e.g. swtor a part of xp gained is also applied to your dynasty rating, which gives bonuses to EVERY character you ever start (other than races maybe). fuck I just remembered I posted this idea 2 years ago already!

2. I'm getting FLOODED with low tier garbage maps. introduce a better vendor recipe for that trash already!

since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
cool info
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info