Serious problem in the game!

"
Aquilus wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
"
MrH wrote:
Ice shot, Lightning arrow and Lightning Strike are the biggest offenders IMO, although honestly all spells could use a coat of polish. For example every time you put down a spell totem with skeletons it drops everyone's frame rate to <5 for a second (only the first time per zone though), this can easily get you killed. If you can fix the performance and loot clutter I would enjoy partying so much more.

Hmmm that may be caused by the spawning rather than the effect. Im not sure if this is the lights on the effect or what.

This happens to me as well. Specifically, it happens when a spell totem summons skeletons for the first time in any given area. Subsequent skeleton totems work just fine without freezing the game, until I change area.

Yep, that's the exact issue. After the totem has spawned skeletons once it's fine until you switch zone.
I have to say I'm really impressed with Ice Spear and LA updates, they're very clean and crisp now, whereas before they were over the top and laggy. I hope you will continue to improve all skills up to this standard. Before you were the girl at the party with too much makeup on, now you're the cutie in the back with real beauty :D

Ice Shot, Lightning Strike and totems next, please.
"
Russell wrote:
"
MrH wrote:
Ice shot, Lightning arrow and Lightning Strike are the biggest offenders IMO, although honestly all spells could use a coat of polish. For example every time you put down a spell totem with skeletons it drops everyone's frame rate to <5 for a second (only the first time per zone though), this can easily get you killed. If you can fix the performance and loot clutter I would enjoy partying so much more.

Hmmm that may be caused by the spawning rather than the effect. Im not sure if this is the lights on the effect or what.

With minions it's when skeletons spawn (lights). With ice spear/shot it's the impact (not sure if lights or not), with fireballs its... the fireballs (lights).

Note that it's generally only the first few times a particular combination of things is seen per session, after that it smooths out. for instance piety's lightning ball with it's pulsing light lags me like crazy the first couple of casts, but is butter smooth after that.

This is repeated whenever there is a new combination of lights/effects seen. Skeletons will only lag once at first, but will lag again every time they spawn near a rare monster (since all rare monsters have lights). Then again if they spawn near that same rare monster while it is being hit by an ice shot.

With parties I think what you are seeing is three-fold:
a) Party members will be using things that probably haven't been seen yet by each other player in that session, meaning a lot of those "initial" lags.

b Since there are so many stacking effects, there are many new combinations appearing often, instead of simply one skill per rare monster, it's six or more plus all the many combinations of those six occurring simultaneously. With a decent PC the hitch caused by one new combination might not be noticeable, but then 6 skills + 1 rare monster = 127 new combinations all at once might become noticable. Those ms all add up.

c) Just simply having a lot of stuff going on stressing people's PCs.

I really think there's something going on with certain effects though, if it was a matter of horsepower you'd expect a skill to either lag or not lag, rather than only lag the first couple of times and progressively get better with each cast.
I mean, I get low FPS in the ancient pyramid, when there are a billion particles on all the monster corpses and lights from the wall torches, but I've never talked about that because it's obvious that's just a result of my slow PC. We're not talking about low FPS, but rather hitching on certain skill impacts, and certain monster appearances (poison alchemists, voidbearers).

For those of us with slow PCs it happens even solo, but those with powerful PCs don't seem to notice until big parties.

Just speculation from observation in game, I'm no expert (also based on pre-10.2 experiences). Could be horribly misled.

Last edited by Malice on Mar 7, 2013, 8:42:50 PM
Okay LA is pretty much OK right now, it still could be better buts its ok. I've found another big problem. Maps with the mod "Area has fire pathes" or something like that are sooo laggy. If I join the map my FPS instantly drops to 20 - 30 FPS. Lighting Strike and Ice Shot should be fixed too becouse they really really cause alot of lagg to. Its unplayable when im in party with players that use these skills.
IGN: Lnvoker
"
Russell wrote:
Hmmm I don't even know what lags with the summons actually. Is it all summons or just the zombies that are real bad?. They have that blood traily thing on them so im just wondering. Iv never played a summoner myself. Im not sure on the patch day but its the next big patch :) Should be this week though. When I say somethings coming out next patch I mean somethings coming out in the next proper patch. Not these little mini patches : P Should probably clear that up next time. Mini patches normally don't contain art changes unless they are super duper important.

The Problem with summons is when you take the skill in your tree that makes your summons explode when on low life. When the summons die and explode they create a bunch of particle effects on the screen, when there's enough aoe damage from mobs and your summon skeleton totem can cast fast enough, your screen quickly becomes a huge cluster f** of explosions that create countless amount of exploded corpse bits and pieces all over your screen and your fps just drops to a unacceptable level regardless of how good your computer is. Just try to fight Piety on merciless with a pure summon build, your totems will be constantly spamming skeletons on the boss and those skeletons will almost all instantly explode as soon as then get spawned. A few minutes into the fight and you will start lagging pretty hard.

There needs to be an option to completely disable all already exploded corpses so there won't be a million of them on your screen at the same time. I honestly don't even understand why the game even needs to show already exploded corpse remains as they are not important to the game-play AT ALL. All it does is slowing the game down. If you just remove those, trust me, NOBODY will miss them.
Last edited by zhhuan on Mar 9, 2013, 8:09:04 AM
Its been two years. And this shit just has gotten worse. Perandus is literally killing my game with drops to 3-5 FPS in any map and on the final Labrynth Boss, making him IMPOSSIBLE to finish.
And it's getting worse with every league.

Been g**gling around poe and particle/fps issues for some time now and the only "solution" seems to be to use "hacks" of some sort. It's sad.
If I got a Dollar for every time PoE runs worse than Skyrim,
I could buy a rig that can run this pile of code smoothly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info