PoE's performance is poor for a lot of people

I am completly with you..

I have a i7 quad core gaming rig that runs most games pretty smooth but this game i run on lowest settings at a less than steady 19-21 fps... spells like discharge is not even a possibility for me:(

I love this game but besides map drops this is probably the biggest issue as i see it.
Nemo saltat sobrius
I'm just waiting for Slayer to show up, and say "what performance issues?".
he never misses a thread like this.

people just power through it with monstrous gaming PCs, which typically run games 3x as graphically intensive at 5x the frame-rate, so it is hard for them to notice Path Of Exile's hiccups and speed bumps.
but I notice. every single one. because my hardware is pretty much the opposite of powerful.
and it's genuinely hard to play like this, especially considering despite all the on-paper enhancements of The Awakening, 1.3 actually was more stable by comparison, for me at least.

at this point, I'm not sure GGG can or even want to mess with the ugly and messy depths of their 5-year-old code.
they are probably thinking "it's 2015 and people have SSDs, Core i7s, blazing-fast RAM, water-cooled GPUs with an amount of cores that puts 1990s super-computers to shame... they will get over it".

I'm here to remind them not everyone can.
and honestly, even if I could it'd be really difficult to overlook that Runtime Exception which has become my best friend since 2.0.
my personal travel agent back to the Windows Desktop.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Aug 17, 2015, 2:32:41 PM
I just wanna thank y'all for the positive feedback.
sigfault
"
johnKeys wrote:
I'm just waiting for Slayer to show up, and say "what performance issues?".
he never misses a thread like this.

people just power through it with monstrous gaming PCs, which typically run games 3x as graphically intensive at 5x the frame-rate, so it is hard for them to notice Path Of Exile's hiccups and speed bumps.
but I notice. every single one. because my hardware is pretty much the opposite of powerful.
and it's genuinely hard to play like this, especially considering despite all the on-paper enhancements of The Awakening, 1.3 actually was more stable by comparison, for me at least.

at this point, I'm not sure GGG can or even want to mess with the ugly and messy depths of their 5-year-old code.
they are probably thinking "it's 2015 and people have SSDs, Core i7s, blazing-fast RAM, water-cooled GPUs with an amount of cores that puts 1990s super-computers to shame... they will get over it".

I'm here to remind them not everyone can.
and honestly, even if I could it'd be really difficult to overlook that Runtime Exception which has become my best friend since 2.0.
my personal travel agent back to the Windows Desktop.

THing is, lower latency = better fps. It's due to their net code. But it's not only that, it's also type of connection and if you run it from SSD. I for one am not going to buy SSD to run this game.
I watch ZiggyD stream for instance, game works fine for him, always did, but he is from New Zeland and his latency is like ~30ms all the time since like ever. And he didn't use to have some beast PC, I don't know he uses atm tho.

What I have noticed, and I don't care what anybody says, when beta got more populated, game started to have less fps (I'll focus on fps only), as people got bored before the launch and there were like 500 of us at best in the evening (EU) game worked like a charm. When they launched the game performance dropped again, it was even worse than 2.0 is now.
So there's that.

PS. My buddy has core i7, SSD and 980Ti Sli, it doesn't get much better than that, he has same issues as I have. Not surprising since he lives in same town as I do, and uses same internet provider etc. Our latency is ~45ms when not moving and erratic 55-65 while moving. I checked for lost packets, there is like 3-4 of them during 20-30 mins so nothing to speak about really.
He does have better load times and a bit less stuttering due to SSD, but he has FPS dips to 20 in some areas and situations witch is just insane lol :d
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
Last edited by Ludak021 on Aug 17, 2015, 3:28:28 PM
Network latency will affect latency of movement, not latency of rendering. There is no reason at all why would delayed packet postpone rendering.

CPU seems to be idle most of the time - below 30% in my case. Not often it goes to 60% or 90% with huge fps drops. Perfmon tells that increased CPU usage is caused by PoE. It goes away after few minutes, no idea what is happening.
"
titiAlf wrote:
Network latency will affect latency of movement, not latency of rendering. There is no reason at all why would delayed packet postpone rendering.

CPU seems to be idle most of the time - below 30% in my case. Not often it goes to 60% or 90% with huge fps drops. Perfmon tells that increased CPU usage is caused by PoE. It goes away after few minutes, no idea what is happening.

but it does effect the latency of rendering. I can see it as soon as the latency grows up. It's like strictly tied one to another in lock step mode, and it also happens with predictive. Feel free to to press F1 in game and notice it yourself.
"Path of Exile be a online Action RPG set up in tha dark fantasy ghetto of Wraeclast. Well shiiiit..."
- Uzicorn, for teh children.
I don't get how installing it on SSD would improve fps. It's not like it's reading textures form the SSD all the time.
Moving over to an SSD certainly helped load times and strongboxes. However, I didn't notice an improvement in general FPS.

Changing from Win 7 to Win10 didn't seem to help matters either. Actually recent CCC/driver downloads on my gaming machine have made performance a bit worse. I've made sure that image settings in CCC / Raptor optimizations weren't impacting the game.

I'm still investigating why my quite powerful machine suddenly has troubles in maps with tempests + certain mods that seem to cause FPS issues.

My internet connection has turned to crap lately, which has made playing a bit difficult. I don't think it's related to gameplay fps, but I guess it is possible.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
I ripped over 10 times tonight (lost count) from lag due to shit on the ground (lighting, Desecrate, etc.) and general slow FPS even without certain mods - and those were solo runs not party. Desync started to intrude again the past few days too, on boxes and generally, as bad or worse than pre-2.0.

About ready to uninstall this fucking mess of a game.
I too, have some performance issue as well. I often encounter frozen screen, where the game just hang, I can still move my cursor, can tab out and tab in, but just can't do a thing; then about 10 sec later I will hear the graphic/cpu fan kicks up very loudly, the character will move again shortly after. I play hardcore, I am lucky this issue has not happened to me during the battle, but I am sure it will happen sooner or later. When that happens, I will rage quit for sure...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info