Map drops - assessment of 2.0.0, and changes coming in 2.0.2

"
I think it's very important that the bugs with instances crashing are fixed along with this. Part of the reason I've been reluctant to run higher maps, and have either been doing lower content or not playing at all, is that I've already had a few 76s lost.

This is what nearly made me leave the game after warband's started.
Lost 4x79 maps few 77 and an untainted paradise in one week it was really ... really frustrating.
The more frustrate part was to have to hunt info on forums.

I'm now level 94 in warbands and map drops seems really weird.

here is how i'm running all my 77+ maps:

Alched
Chiseled
Vaaled
Throwing one to three frag sometimes ( mostly for 80 + maps )

Today we have ran a LOT of maps 77 to 81 and dropped maybe 2 maps in the same map range wich is incredibly time and currencies consuming.

Last week i've been in troubles while leveling to 94 i started with 80 maps and then it decreased after few runs to get back to level 73 ( please :D ? ). Finaly have been forced to bought 74 maps to get started again ( PLEASE :D ? ).

Edit 1: Added the part where i'm mentioning some days drops are good ( yes they can be)
Edit 2: Removed some words and added smiley to make this thread appearing more cool less incencitive and more polite :p

And some other days thats an explosion of map drops ... lot of them etc ... making nothing consistent and fun at all.

I think the problem is not taken in the good sense.
I would rather prefer map harder from 74 to 82 ( some of them are too easy for the experience player should have at this level ) and then way more increased map drops than now.

Also could we get a Clarification from you about impact ( numbers if possible :D ) of playing solo or in party on map drops ? It would be really interesting.

Thanks for reading and have a good dev / game.
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Aug 11, 2015, 10:54:01 PM
"
Uvne wrote:
I think it's very important that the bugs with instances crashing are fixed along with this. Part of the reason I've been reluctant to run higher maps, and have either been doing lower content or not playing at all, is that I've already had a few 76s lost.

I totally agree. Map loss has affected this. While we have improved this, and fewer maps are lost, it is still being worked on.

"
Ismaell wrote:
"
Expert players can (and do) maintain 79+ map level runs, but within the range are forced to play a variety of maps.

To run a good 78+ map, you need..

4x Chisels
1x Alchemy
3x Vaal Fragments (Which is equivalent to 3 chaos)
Average maybe 5 chaos to roll the map until it's 30%+ packsize
10 chaos to run domination or onslaught

2C+.5C+3C+10C+5C = 20.5C to run each Map. 10.5C to run the map if you don't roll the additional 40% quantity (which doesn't make sense in 80+, given map prices) and 5.5C if the map is only alched.

Yes, Etup and Havoc can maintain running maps. Because people love to buy their items, and they have easy access to buying things like chisels/sacrifice fragments. I mean fuck, Etup has people dipping in and out of his hideout for Crafting nearly 24/7, throwing him a tip usually. Does the average player have that kind of treatment? No, fuck no. And because of that, they CAN'T afford to run maps in the same fashion as the top streamers. Another thing is that they have all the right friends. Having Bob on standby means never skipping a boss, for example.

I played Warbands until level 96, which is the highest I've ever gotten. I quit at 96 around rank 15, because I spent 6 exalts on 78 Maps and just lost them all, chiseling and running 80-100%+ quantity each. Promptly, I was 100% broke and had no maps, at level 96. Aside from that, the fact that you have to know someone running Uber to even be able to buy 78 maps is just plain ridiculous.

I don't know what GGGs vision for this game is, but if it's needing to be a well-known player to succeed, it needs some serious changes. The map nerfs, at the end-game level, only widen the gap between what an average joe, and a well-known player with the right connections can achieve. There should be a path available for players that absolutely do not give a fuck about making currency and finding uniques, and ONLY play to rush to 100. I would be 100% fine running 80+ maps all day if they had a built in 'Unique items cannot be found in this map. Contains a map of equal level' mod, for example. I don't give a fuck about having a stack of Exalts or Mirrors, I just want to play to level. That's literally all. Even if level 80-82 Maps could only be found in maps with X% quantity, to lock those away from racers and give those who want to MF a little more incentive that'd be fine. Just let us play with the same map levels as we did before, for fucks sake.

Please DO NOT base updates that affect ALL players on what Etup and Havoc are able to achieve. I'm fine with literally EVERY change in 2.0, aside from the maps. I really don't understand what was wrong with regalling/running packsize or beyond beyond Palaces. The easier maps meant a reduction in quantity and rarity, which was the tradeoff. You could kick the ladders ass, or you could get rich.

And the change to the minimum amount of XP received being 1% instead of 2%? What, was pushing the average map from 76-78 down to 73-75 not big enough of a fuck you to people who just want to level?

E; Also on the point of map hoarding - I think it was more like.. Legitimate players hoarded 82 Maps to sell to the impatient RMTers so they could actually continue to run maps of a respectable level. I know whenever I found an 82 map, that shit just turned into chisels and alchs thanks to some random level 85 guy.

Uhhh. Qarl. Are you saying you will cater to these people who exaggerate like this?

I sure after that HUGE sample size of a few 78 maps (at 80-100 quant..what? your highest map level and you do crap maps? I've done maps up to 170%...in HC to try to maintain a map pool). he completely ran out of maps and had to go back to Merc dried lakes to farm 68 maps.

And then the streamer thing again. Just stop it.

Like you said dedicated players in Tempest were able to reduce the variance and had less effect from the map changes. This person claim he really, really, really wanted to level and map but obviously was missing something (methodology for one) to do it. But the methods are there.

Don't cater to people like this.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
The issues that you talk about in your post everything that was said to you in the Beta. This isnt new information revealed to you by a huge amount of data, you knew this already so please do not BS us. What you did is simply have the drop rate of maps be very very low to force players to play in the league for a longer period of time and prevent players from becoming bored.

This is very obvious. You are already experimenting with mid league game play changes with how you adjusted the WarBands as well to try to keep interest continual, and imo that isnt a bad thing. However when you apply this type of forced game play adjustments to integral mechanics, you are going to start seeing problems.

Please, do not force map drop rates unless you are going to have a direct and up front approach to it. Otherwise you are just going to piss off your player base.
IGN JimansNotSummoner
To sum my previous post up in a very brief matter,

-Why is grinding solely for experience not an acceptable playstyle? (Refer to the old days of running blue 78 packsize maps - maps that aren't difficult but yield high experience, and low loot. Accepting that you will not be rich, but you will be level 100.)

-Why is quantity+rarity on maps forced onto players in 2.0, instead of being an accepted tradeoff of loot per hour for experience per hour? (The highest experience per hour mapping revolves around running very difficult, consequentially high quantity+rarity maps, so you are able to sustain maps. Having a significantly lower amount of experience gained per hour than before, but finding more loot.. That you don't necessarily care for.)

If I could have an answer to just those two questions it'd be great, thanks. Not trying to pull a 'checkmate, Atheists' here or anything but I'm honestly curious, coming from a RuneScape background - a game where you either forsake any and all hope of being rich, and achieve maximum level in everything quickly, or you slowly sludge through it but emerge a billionaire.
Nice, good move GGG
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Qarl wrote:
"
We don't hoard the high level maps because our characters can't run them. We hoard to sell them because they're worth much more to sell to other players than run it by ourselves since they are so rare.

So, that still appears hoarded, until your buyer runs the map. A map waiting to be sold is essentially hoarded.

The distinction is that they're hoarded for very different reasons and the person in possession of the maps can have very different goals.

If you're hoarding a map to sell it, you're most certainly not going to be bothering with trying to reach a high level (let's say 90 is your cap). Grinding out 80-90 on accessible maps is a slow but do-able process, and going just a little bit faster on high-level maps isn't really worth it when you're essentially flushing multiple exalts down the toilet to run each map (especially on the really high-end, where it's exceedingly unlikely you'll even break even on map value).

Anybody who actually runs high-level maps are either rolling in so much currency they can burn it on faster XP gains, have a gambling problem, or are willing to throw all their currency at getting to 100.

Not saying the whole situation is bad or anything, just wanted to point out that it would be a mistake to draw conclusions from data that essentially lumps all map hoarders into the same category.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I was just getting ready to take a break. I can sustain 74/75 maps, but the currency to do so is killing my fun :D

Looking forward to the Buff.
"You think logoutcore makes you better....." - ShaeG
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Uvne wrote:

I totally agree. Map loss has affected this. While we have improved this, and fewer maps are lost, it is still being worked on.

Bless you.

/waves good karma at Qarl

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Haderach99 wrote:

Uhhh. Qarl. Are you saying you will cater to these people who exaggerate like this?

I sure after that HUGE sample size of a few 78 maps (at 80-100 quant..what? your highest map level and you do crap maps? I've done maps up to 170%...in HC to try to maintain a map pool). he completely ran out of maps and had to go back to Merc dried lakes to farm 68 maps.

And then the streamer thing again. Just stop it.

Like you said dedicated players in Tempest were able to reduce the variance and had less effect from the map changes. This person claim he really, really, really wanted to level and map but obviously was missing something (methodology for one) to do it. But the methods are there.

Don't cater to people like this.

170% Quantity means there were either Vaal Orbs at play, or you ran the additional 40% quantity mods for 10 chaos per map. Especially now with the new map mods that are absolute shit for quantity.. Assuming a level 7 Zana, you've got 7% there, 15% from Fragments (3C per map) then 40% from Onslaught (10C per map.) 62%, so 108% quantity maps.. 2 Chaos to chisel the map, 3 chaos for fragments, 10 chaos for onslaught. A few chaos to roll it, then you have to Vaal Orb the shit too and pray to RNGesus that your map isn't bricked?

What the actual fuck, pal? You think this shit is a step in the right direction? People not being able to play a fast-paced ARPG the way they want to, and instead having to do some slow as shit 5K DPS tank build to slowly push through near-impossible maps, after first weaving through a mess of bullshit to acquire the currency to even activate the fucking map?

I understand you think your dick is huge and all because you ran hard maps on Hardcore, but again, not everyone cares about fucking loot. 170% quantity IS THE REWARD for running the difficult map, you get 170% MORE SHIT than running the map white would give. Finding the sweet zone - be it 50%, 70%, or 100% quantity is called efficiency - maximizing XP per hour and Loot per hour, or one or solely the other based on personal preference. That's playing a fucking game the way you want to play it, being able to play the build that you enjoy playing. Not being pigeonholed into playing fucking Flame Totem, or some other OP-for-this-league bullshit caster build, because distance is the only effective defence in this imbalanced game.

Also because you're a fucking idiot - Running 170% quantity maps on HC, as flame totem. Damn. Was there a lot of personal, player skill involved? Were you weaving in and out, fucking up and down between incoming spells? Or were you just placing totems at doorways, and kiting a few mobs at a time down? Playing such a brutal, face-crunching ARPG in the slowest, pussiest way possible. You think that is what the playerbase truly wants? Fucking really? A difficult map is fun here and there, but by fuck do they get boring after a short amount of time.
Last edited by Ismaell on Aug 11, 2015, 11:24:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info