Map drops - assessment of 2.0.0, and changes coming in 2.0.2

"
Uvne wrote:
I think it's very important that the bugs with instances crashing are fixed along with this. Part of the reason I've been reluctant to run higher maps, and have either been doing lower content or not playing at all, is that I've already had a few 76s lost.

ill bump this post to see if carl has the time to comment on this particular issue :).(or if this is unrelated to carl's department, the relevant dev obviously)

thanks for the news Carl, solid move.

Anybody wanna start a bumpchain? :D

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Qarl wrote:
Expert players can (and do) maintain 79+ map level runs, but within the range are forced to play a variety of maps. We do also see more hoarding of maps in this level range, where players often choose to not run these maps (we assume until they improve their character).

Expert players = the few only viable builds in ridiculous map mods with insane currency
Map hoarding = We cannot afford to roll those bloody maps good, and when we do, we get 68's out of them.

(Hopefully the adjustments in the next patch will make this better)

PS: Make exile drop maps again......... I just don't understand that they don't anymore.

PPS: I love you guys ;D
Archives, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2206812
Last edited by D4wdl on Aug 11, 2015, 10:25:36 PM
Wow finally, I quitted after I had nothing than 76s left this league in Warbands. I was rank 30 or something when I hit 95 and was really motivated to go for 100. BUT...

Its extremly disappoiting when you rebuy like 5 79 maps, roll all with either high packsize or high quantity and all you get out of these 5 maps is a grotto and a thicket. Thats exactly the reason why i stopped to play. I refuse to rebuy dozens of maps because I just dont got the currency for it, you have to roll them too which can cost apx. a couple chaos each map.

Looking forward to changes next league.

MAYBE the +2 system works also with a -2 system so you dont find 68 maps in a 79 map...
"
Chaozhax wrote:
MAYBE the +2 system works also with a -2 system so you dont find 68 maps in a 79 map...

Yeah, In higher tier maps, say for example 78+, only -2 should drop or something. It is extremely frustrating to risk your character, currency, and get a bloody -10
Archives, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2206812
"
Qarl wrote:

Many players have expressed concerns that they hit a wall around level 74 or level 75. The statistics bear this out, and vividly show us there is a problem. There is a serious bump of maps being run at level 73, more than at level 72, and then a solid dive at level 74. This is partially due to level 74 being where the harder mods kick in. The harder mods can be discouraging. However, the shaping of map drops also is a big factor in the divide between 73 and 74.

The problem is much more pronounced in Standard and Warbands than Tempest. The drop rates we have seem to suit the mapping styles of hardcore more, where players are more likely to build up a base of maps, and work up through their maps, rather than always running their highest map.

Around 80% of maps are run in non-hardcore leagues, so we do need to make sure the drop rates fit the dominant styles of play. We will be amending our map drops to smooth the curve into level 74-79 maps.

I find it funny how HC league is not mentioned because we know it's a complete wasteland. The HC mentality is simply perfect for temp leagues. Anyways...

I'd like confirmation on this. Is PoE finally going to give in to everything Standard? Because it seems that you are going to use justification of what people do in Standard drives your design decisions. I am frankly curious about this.

I have always said that people who complain the most have not built their map base properly and are impatiently rushing through. You can see the whine from a level 84 player who complains about not getting 82 map drops in the feedback forum. Most HC players are befuddled about the complaints because they know these people aren't mapping properly to establish a base and minimize variance (bad luck) as much as possible.

So is the new map system going to cater to this? Can I run a single 72 and expect an easy string of maps to 79?
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
I'm curious as to the results of party vs. solo mapping. Do people more successfully and smoothly get to higher maps in parties, or is it roughly the same as solo players?
"
Expert players can (and do) maintain 79+ map level runs, but within the range are forced to play a variety of maps.

To run a good 78+ map, you need..

4x Chisels
1x Alchemy
3x Vaal Fragments (Which is equivalent to 3 chaos)
Average maybe 5 chaos to roll the map until it's 30%+ packsize
10 chaos to run domination or onslaught

2C+.5C+3C+10C+5C = 20.5C to run each Map. 10.5C to run the map if you don't roll the additional 40% quantity (which doesn't make sense in 80+, given map prices) and 5.5C if the map is only alched.

Yes, Etup and Havoc can maintain running maps. Because people love to buy their items, and they have easy access to buying things like chisels/sacrifice fragments. I mean fuck, Etup has people dipping in and out of his hideout for Crafting nearly 24/7, throwing him a tip usually. Does the average player have that kind of treatment? No, fuck no. And because of that, they CAN'T afford to run maps in the same fashion as the top streamers. Another thing is that they have all the right friends. Having Bob on standby means never skipping a boss, for example.

I played Warbands until level 96, which is the highest I've ever gotten. I quit at 96 around rank 15, because I spent 6 exalts on 78 Maps and just lost them all, chiseling and running 80-100%+ quantity each. Promptly, I was 100% broke and had no maps, at level 96. Aside from that, the fact that you have to know someone running Uber to even be able to buy 78 maps is just plain ridiculous.

I don't know what GGGs vision for this game is, but if it's needing to be a well-known player to succeed, it needs some serious changes. The map nerfs, at the end-game level, only widen the gap between what an average joe, and a well-known player with the right connections can achieve. There should be a path available for players that absolutely do not give a fuck about making currency and finding uniques, and ONLY play to rush to 100. I would be 100% fine running 80+ maps all day if they had a built in 'Unique items cannot be found in this map. Contains a map of equal level' mod, for example. I don't give a fuck about having a stack of Exalts or Mirrors, I just want to play to level. That's literally all. Even if level 80-82 Maps could only be found in maps with X% quantity, to lock those away from racers and give those who want to MF a little more incentive that'd be fine. Just let us play with the same map levels as we did before, for fucks sake.

Please DO NOT base updates that affect ALL players on what Etup and Havoc are able to achieve. I'm fine with literally EVERY change in 2.0, aside from the maps. I really don't understand what was wrong with regalling/running packsize or beyond beyond Palaces. The easier maps meant a reduction in quantity and rarity, which was the tradeoff. You could kick the ladders ass, or you could get rich.

And the change to the minimum amount of XP received being 1% instead of 2%? What, was pushing the average map from 76-78 down to 73-75 not big enough of a fuck you to people who just want to level?

E; Also on the point of map hoarding - I think it was more like.. Legitimate players hoarded 82 Maps to sell to the impatient RMTers so they could actually continue to run maps of a respectable level. I know whenever I found an 82 map, that shit just turned into chisels and alchs thanks to some random level 85 guy.
Last edited by Ismaell on Aug 11, 2015, 10:38:56 PM
Hoping this is going to be good.
"
Maps in the level 80 to 82 range are rarely run relative to other maps. This is intended; these maps are supposed to be dangerous and special, and are also intended to be not sustained in the same way as other maps.

Why not? If you have a character than can run them without issues making a player run content too easy for them is boring and poor design. I'm not even sure why there is a cap at all should have endless maps until one hits a brick wall. D3 does it right. Endless rifts and no matter how GG you are will hit that wall. Sorta like every other game ever made with continuous progression and difficulty curve. Not one step forward two steps back like you guys do.
Git R Dun!
"
We don't hoard the high level maps because our characters can't run them. We hoard to sell them because they're worth much more to sell to other players than run it by ourselves since they are so rare.

So, that still appears hoarded, until your buyer runs the map. A map waiting to be sold is essentially hoarded.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info