Mana Leech

"
Daddyshadez wrote:
Question, if i was to link this with fire trap skill, would i leech the mana from the explosion damage?

When using leech with traps/totems/mines, the trap/totem/mine leeches, not you. That means it'd leech mana for the trap which is pointless. Life Leech has some use on totem but otherwise you shouldn't use Leech supports with those.
ty
Submitting feedback and criticism for Mana Leech support gem.

I have a level 20 10% Quality mana leech I am using in favor of a level 18 18% Quality mana leech gem simply because the gem does not advance from level 12 to level 20. Having a gem go eight levels without any conceivable benefit is extremely dull and I believe an oversight by grinding gears. Any gain even minute, that is something you can experience and appreciate helps the player appreciate the leveling process. Having leveled many gems to level 20, I can say with confidence that mana leech has a significant failure compared to other gems that actually do progress evenly.
Ign:Sinisterdeeds
Last edited by trailslayer on Feb 28, 2013, 2:00:58 PM
is anyone able to use mana leech with spells in no-regen maps? getting lvl 20 mana leech is really difficult and even then, is only 4% compared to the 6% on life leech.

Is this why many people goblood magic + life leech/life gain on hit for expensive skills instead of mana leech?
https://www.youtube.com/@esvbanARPGs
I find this gem "little" to slow.

I am 78 lvl ranger and I use frenzy for main attack and split arrow for mass. Both gems are supported by mana leech gem. And here comes problems: I charge my frenzy up to 7 charges, so my attacks become very fast, so fast, that mana leech doesn't "catch" the rate I am shooting. Mana reg is too slow compared with usage of mana needed to shoot frenzy shots. To counter this problem, I am using mana flasks. Yes it is ok to use them if there are many mobs around so you could recharge them, but when I am dealing with boses or magic/rare monsters, I run out of ALL my mana. In that case, I can not recharge my mana flasks, in addition, I cannot leech mana with frenzy, because I dont have ANY MANA to shoot frenzy. I am constrained to wait while my natural mana reg will give me necessary amount of mana, while running around I trying not to be killed.

Same can be said about the split arrow. If I am charged, mana regenerated from leech doesn't catch the usage needed. But in this case, additional arrows from split arrow makes it less desync. With additional shots I am on very edge of balance between mana usage and reg.

Funny part is, when I am doing maps with Temporal Chains I am able to use mana leech gem more efficiently, because If am shooting slower. But a question arrises from this experience, Do I need to restrict myself in order that I could use properly mana leech? In some cases if I make frenzy shot and wait sec, yes, I catch my mana rate, but when what is the point of using frenzy in you can not shoot as fast as you want?

Suggestion

It would be nice to see something similar to Life gain on hit gem. I know this gem is used more to faster attacks, and if you have slower attacks, you use Life leech. Similar to life gems, it would be nice to have choise between Mana leechand Mana gain on hit.First used for slower attacks, second for fasters, especialy for frenzy users.
"
Cakepan wrote:

It would be nice to see something similar to Life gain on hit gem. I know this gem is used more to faster attacks, and if you have slower attacks, you use Life leech. Similar to life gems, it would be nice to have choise between Mana leechand Mana gain on hit.First used for slower attacks, second for fasters, especialy for frenzy users.

I agree this would be really nice. Also the leech percentage can only get to 4% instead of 6% compared to life leech. Maybe the percentage could be allowed to go a bit higher for this gem?
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
"
Cakepan wrote:
I find this gem "little" to slow.

I am 78 lvl ranger and I use frenzy for main attack and split arrow for mass. Both gems are supported by mana leech gem. And here comes problems: I charge my frenzy up to 7 charges, so my attacks become very fast, so fast, that mana leech doesn't "catch" the rate I am shooting. Mana reg is too slow compared with usage of mana needed to shoot frenzy shots. To counter this problem, I am using mana flasks. Yes it is ok to use them if there are many mobs around so you could recharge them, but when I am dealing with boses or magic/rare monsters, I run out of ALL my mana. In that case, I can not recharge my mana flasks, in addition, I cannot leech mana with frenzy, because I dont have ANY MANA to shoot frenzy. I am constrained to wait while my natural mana reg will give me necessary amount of mana, while running around I trying not to be killed.

Same can be said about the split arrow. If I am charged, mana regenerated from leech doesn't catch the usage needed. But in this case, additional arrows from split arrow makes it less desync. With additional shots I am on very edge of balance between mana usage and reg.

Funny part is, when I am doing maps with Temporal Chains I am able to use mana leech gem more efficiently, because If am shooting slower. But a question arrises from this experience, Do I need to restrict myself in order that I could use properly mana leech? In some cases if I make frenzy shot and wait sec, yes, I catch my mana rate, but when what is the point of using frenzy in you can not shoot as fast as you want?
Mana leech is limited to 12.5% of your max mana per second, like life leech is limited to 20% of max life. You'll still get the mana past the limit but it takes longer. You can raise your max mana to allow faster mana leech. Or you could use more unreserved mana as a buffer so that you don't run oom during fight and you'll fill up from the queued mana leech while heading to next fight.
Last edited by Ksielvin on Mar 28, 2013, 5:41:48 AM
"
Mana leech is limited to 12.5% of your max mana per second, like life leech is limited to 20% of max life. You'll still get the mana past the limit but it takes longer. You can raise your max mana to allow faster mana leech. Or you could use more unreserved mana as a buffer so that you don't run oom during fight and you'll fill up from the queued mana leech while heading to next fight.

Yes, I am aware of 12.5% cap but to my understanding if I am shooting arrows with 600 mana pool every shot should bring me 75 mana leech over second. Ok, but I am shooting 5 arrows per second, so it should be like 375 mana reg per sec? But it is not the case, cause ,as I understand it, every's shot mana reg takes it queue, so my first shot takes whole sec to regenerate mana, then second shot takes another sec to regenerate it's mana and in total my 5shoot per second takes 5 seconds to fully regenerate mana. But during these 5 seconds, technically I could shoot 25 shots total. So it would mean another 25 sec to wait.
"
technically
I said because in my case in it is impossible to achieve it- my poor frenzy is linked only with two supports (faster attacks 115% and weapon elemental damage 170% mana cost multiplier) and it already takes 35 mana to shoot single shot, what makes 175 mana cost in one second. And with curent case, I only get, only, 75 mana reg. AHA, I am -100 mana with every second... Now I am limited to use more supports or reject some auras only for additional one-two shots? I could go for bigger mana pool, but in ranger's passive skill tree side is seems kinda hard thing to do- every 8% increased maximum mana node gives around 40-60 mana, and to feel freely I need about 2000-3000? Or what now, I am obligated to use Blood magic, cause it is the only way that frenzy build can work?

I may be wrong in my calculations, feel free to correct me, but still I say there is an issue with frenzy, or in general, fast atacks and mana leech.
You can also reduce the amount of Mana you burn; a Reduced Mana gem and Reduced Mana Cost passives work wonders.

Frenzy is one of the most expensive skills due to being a Charge generator and a massively fast Attack. Gonna have to live with that.
I think I may have encountered a bug with Mana Leech. I would appriciate if someone from GGG could clarify.

So here is the case:

I was using Mana leech level 5 at a "no mana regen" lv66 map. I was interested in monster damage reduction, so I did some testing.

Mana Leech level 5 supposidly yields 1% mana leech.

I used 1785-2677 pure physical Ethreal Knives on one blue Vaal monster with no physical resist mod. The map itself had no defensive mod. The monster was isolated (no other monsters around) as well and had life regen as a blue mod.

18 hits were made and recorded. The range of those hits yielded between 17-27 mana, which suggests that the damage dealt was around 1700-2700 (1% mana leech). The average mana received was 22.72 which suggests average damage of about 2272.

There may have been critical hits involved (not quite sure which sound it does when it crits) but the chance for them are low: below 10% chance.

It is interesting that range and average matches the premitigation range and average so closely.

So given this data, I am leaning toward that one of following situations is the truth:

A. Mana Leech ignores mitigation from armor. (Which could be a bug)
B. The Mana Leech % at lv5 is not exactly 1%, but higher. This is a display bug.
C. The monster in the lv66 map had practically no armor. (Which could be a bug)

I am therefore asking you GGG: what is the correct answer?
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on May 4, 2013, 12:30:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info