Increased Area of Effect

As an Ice Nova Witch, I tried both Increased Area of Effect and Concentrate Area of Effect gems. Wheras the increased AOE range is nice, it doesn't really hold a candle against the damage increase from the latter gem. With the increased radius passives, the range of my Ice Nova is still significant enough to warrant using a damage increase gem instead of a gem that increases the range of said AoE spell.
Domination:
Lvl 58 Power Siphon Witch
"
SeikenZ wrote:
As an Ice Nova Witch, I tried both Increased Area of Effect and Concentrate Area of Effect gems. Wheras the increased AOE range is nice, it doesn't really hold a candle against the damage increase from the latter gem. With the increased radius passives, the range of my Ice Nova is still significant enough to warrant using a damage increase gem instead of a gem that increases the range of said AoE spell.
why not use both? did that not come to mind? i'm confused people don't... at least nowdays... it used to be common practice to stack both passives (at least 40% via the two of the 3 AoE passive groups) and both of the supports for most AoE's.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
SeikenZ wrote:
why not use both? did that not come to mind? i'm confused people don't... at least nowdays... it used to be common practice to stack both passives (at least 40% via the two of the 3 AoE passive groups) and both of the supports for most AoE's.

Of course it came to mind, but just like everyone else, I don't have an infinite amount of sockets. I currently have this:

Like I said though, the AOE range of Ice Nova is still significant enough with just the passives that I got. If I had a 6-link, I'd probably use the other gem as well, if there's nothing better that is. It also really depends on how you want to play.
Domination:
Lvl 58 Power Siphon Witch
Last edited by SeikenZ on Jul 18, 2013, 10:51:45 AM
this gem has become very useful with Reave.

Reave-multi strike-incrased area of effect are must to make this skill work.
My Craft Logs-thread/359202
Please reduce the mana multiplier on this gem. It's certainly useful to increase area, but not even close to increasing the mana cost by 50%. More often than not you're already making a huge sacrifice to run this over damage supports on spells.
@Moylin (Beyond)
It has a great use on utility skills which don't need dps. For example - curses, shockwave totem, even arctic armour.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
But with a lower modifier this could actually be useful for non DPS spells. And frankly, a lot of those spells aren't anywhere close to overpowered with increased AOE as it is. I'd just like to see this gem be more useful, and I think decreasing the mana multiplier would be a big way to help with that.

As is, you sacrifice so much for any DPS spell for this gem, getting some extra utility at a huge multiplier. This would be a fine tradeoff if the mana multiplier wasn't so high, but since it is so high you almost never want this gem on DPS abilities.

Frankly, having to give up a gem slot for this gem most of the time is almost tradeoff enough.
@Moylin (Beyond)
this one is radius, right?
The numbers would be ridiculous with area...
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
It has a great use on utility skills... ...even arctic armour.

Arctic Armour is not an area skill, so it does nothing to it.
"
Frozen_Beans wrote:
this one is radius, right?
The numbers would be ridiculous with area...

I'm not sure what meaning of «ridiculous» you used, but just in case, increased radius yields a better increase than an hypothetical increased area stat of the same percentage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info