Faster Attacks

18% at level 20 is fine.

But the thing is, it promotes people to invest heavily into attack speed only, since that 18% in base basically means you have additional 18% of however many ias passive/mod you have.

For people who did not invest into attack speed, they would get less attack speed from this change.
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
That is exactly what I was aiming for.

For some context, me Sweep Templar has the 15% attack speed passive from Beserking, since it only cost 1 point for that 15%. He has no other attack speed passives, yet he is getting a massive attack speed bonus because of his quality faster attacks. He will end up with a 69% attack speed bonus.

A Ranger has lots of attack speed passives close to him. But without Faster Attacks he will never get close to 69%. With faster attacks, all of the 3% attack speed bonuses are very underwhelming for said ranger.
"
wxyjac wrote:
18% at level 20 is fine.

But the thing is, it promotes people to invest heavily into attack speed only, since that 18% in base basically means you have additional 18% of however many ias passive/mod you have.

For people who did not invest into attack speed, they would get less attack speed from this change.
Please do the math and come back. For DPS, an 18% multiplicative increase in attack speed does not favor additional attack speed over any other stat in the slightest.
Last edited by Strill on Nov 4, 2012, 11:28:54 PM
ignore.
Last edited by Strill on Nov 4, 2012, 11:27:32 PM
Here's just some calculation if there's any misunderstanding.

Spoiler
Assuming it's a 18%/18% gem.

A person with 0% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.18 = 1.3924x (so 1.39 times whatever their base weapon speed is)

A person with 10% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.28 = 1.5104x (instead of getting a 10% increase, it's ~11.8% more)

A person with 20% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.38 = 1.6284x (again, 11.8% more from last, although it's only 10% ias)

A person with 30% ias:
1.18 * 1.48 = 1.7464 (11.8% more)

The trend is, for every 10% ias you stack, you get 1.8% extra ias because of the multiplier.

So, comparing to the current one, at what point does this purposed gem break even?

At level 20, 44% non-q.

.44 - .18 = .26
.26 / .18 = 1.44

So, at 45 ias and up (the 1 is your base), you will get more ias.

And I see what you mean hzflank.

Having these little edge over those who do not stack, but not too much so it forces people purely stacking it. The bonus is about, at 66% ias, 18/18 will give 7% more ias than the current one; about 1 or 2 smaller passive nodes.

But then again, that doesn't change the fact that faster attack gem is one of the biggest boost in dps you can get per socket, with relatively little cost.

Maybe lowering the numbers will make things even. (Sorry to those who don't stack attack speed, faster attack just won't cut it if this change go through)

"
wxyjac wrote:
Here's just some calculation if there's any misunderstanding.

Spoiler
Assuming it's a 18%/18% gem.

A person with 0% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.18 = 1.3924x (so 1.39 times whatever their base weapon speed is)

A person with 10% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.28 = 1.5104x (instead of getting a 10% increase, it's ~11.8% more)

A person with 20% ias mod/passive will get:
1.18 * 1.38 = 1.6284x (again, 11.8% more from last, although it's only 10% ias)

A person with 30% ias:
1.18 * 1.48 = 1.7464 (11.8% more)

The trend is, for every 10% ias you stack, you get 1.8% extra ias because of the multiplier.

So, comparing to the current one, at what point does this purposed gem break even?

At level 20, 44% non-q.

.44 - .18 = .26
.26 / .18 = 1.44

So, at 45 ias and up (the 1 is your base), you will get more ias.

Yes I understand. But as far as DPS is concerned, all 18% DPS multipliers are equal. If you were to replace the 18% more attack speed with 18% more damage, you would come up with the same DPS.

The only reason that an 18% more attack speed bonus would encourage anyone to stack even more attack speed is if there were an inherent benefit to attack speed beyond its DPS.
But we are not comparing between 18% more damage vs 18% more attack speed.

We are comparing between 18% more attack speed vs the original flat increase.

Got one of these today.

By god it's obnoxious. It makes the +ias% skill nodes look like crap, and makes most other support gems look like crap.

A good place for this balance wise would be to two-handers, what the +elemental damage support gems are to Dual Strike. I don't see how you get there without having it give separate bonuses based on what you have equipped.

My vote is to halve its strength, and boost the ias nodes very slightly. Gems don't consume equipment slots; none of them should single-handedly overpower 20 skill points on their own. Defensive nodes are superior than offensive ones overall already..

(Thinks support gems are an inherently treacherous design, still kind of likes them. Kind of.) ->
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Nov 25, 2012, 8:09:37 PM
This gem is OP. My suggestion is to change the drawback instead of giving it a straight nerf.

First, what I wouldn't change: the amount of attack speed increase. Putting this support in should make your character attack noticeably faster, much faster than you'd get from a passive (or even two). Keeping the attack speed increase high gives this gem character. Actually, make it "more" instead of "increased" so that people still have an incentive to take attack speed passives.

One thing about this gem is that, even at level 1, it increases the mana cost to continuously use an ability by 43%. This means that some builds will need to make some serious resource generation adjustments, such as gear changes or using passive refund points, when they acquire Faster Attacks. Get rid of the mana cost increase and it's a bit of a smoother ride, although 25% attack speed still drains mana 25% faster and would still need some added resource regeneration support (although not as much).

Instead, the drawback should be damage -15%. (Not just physical, all damage; no elemental bypass.) That means that, at gem level 1, this gem provides about 6% added DPS; however, things like life on hit or flasks recharging on crit would benefit far more, and there might be some strategic value for people who like having more control over their character. As the gem levels it would eventually reach about a 22% DPS increase, which would be pretty good, especially since it doesn't increase mana cost.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 31, 2012, 4:15:20 AM
if i link haste and faster attack will i get a higher attack speed boost? also will it affect other skills like lightning strike that are not linked to it?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info