Leap Slam

"
Xapti wrote:
I don't know what you're referring to when you say "it is possible"

Read the post before mine.

"
Xapti wrote:
This is due to the combination of low damage and slow attack speed. No matter what you do to buff it, it will be more effective to buff other skills instead.

It deals weapon damage +x%. It only deals low damage if you don't buff it with damage bonuses :/ Heck, with the same supports, Cleave will always deal lesser damage because it has a built-in damage penalty. Clearly, this means Cleave needs a buff, right?

"
Xapti wrote:
The only use this skill has right now is for transportation.
[Put a cooldown on it!]

Tell that to my Duelist, who uses Leap Slam to kill everything.

Putting a cooldown only further forces it into the utility void (whereas in its current state, it can be used as a main skill). You can't spam it anymore because it has this cooldown nonsense, so what else are you going to do than move around with it?

"
Xapti wrote:
I don't think it needs to be a DPS skill, but it should do enough damage to make use of occasionally, and have a cooldown. That way it can be a good damage skill without being just another AoE ability people spam for DPS. Making the skill more unique useful by giving more knockback or a guaranteed stun would also help.

It *is* more than just an AoE skill. It's a leap, and with high IAS it's a ridiculously fast one. The combination of high mobility and high damage in one skill allows my Duelist to avoid a lot of melee damage while dealing heavy damage.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 5, 2012, 5:34:18 PM
Vipermagi hit the nail on the head. It's slow attack is fine to me as it has a lot of utility. It can even be made faster.
Your Hardcore character's carcass has made a certain buzzard very happy.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Xapti wrote:
I don't know what you're referring to when you say "it is possible"

Read the post before mine.
I STILL don't know what you're referring to. Couldn't you have just said it by now instead?
"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
Xapti wrote:
This is due to the combination of low damage and slow attack speed. No matter what you do to buff it, it will be more effective to buff other skills instead.

It deals weapon damage +x%. It only deals low damage if you don't buff it with damage bonuses :/ Heck, with the same supports, Cleave will always deal lesser damage because it has a built-in damage penalty. Clearly, this means Cleave needs a buff, right?
Leap slam at it's base level does NOT deal extra damage. Like ALL melee attack skills, it gains increased damage with level.

What you might not understand is that this increased damage is additive with all other increased damage bonuses, so that if it says it has a 30% increased damage, it would really be increasing the damage by about 10% if you have 200% increased damage already.

What I meant by damage was DPS. Cleave doesn't have a base attack speed, so it will attack much faster resulting in more DPS. I somewhat forgot how severely cleave was nerfed a while back though (which I don't think was entirely necessary).

"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
Xapti wrote:
The only use this skill has right now is for transportation.
[Put a cooldown on it!]

Tell that to my Duelist, who uses Leap Slam to kill everything.

Putting a cooldown only further forces it into the utility void (whereas in its current state, it can be used as a main skill). You can't spam it anymore because it has this cooldown nonsense, so what else are you going to do than move around with it?
it would have it's damage buffed, attack period buffed and it'd be used as a last resort, opener, or finisher. Heck, if it had a few-second cooldown it could even be sprinkled all across a fight, just not the only thing spammed. I already explained this in the next part that you quoted.

Just because you have a character that uses the skill doesn't mean the skill is balanced with respect to other options, even if the character does well with it. It needs to be compared with alternate builds with similar sorts of equipment.

"
Vipermagi wrote:

"
Xapti wrote:
I don't think it needs to be a DPS skill, but it should do enough damage to make use of occasionally, and have a cooldown. That way it can be a good damage skill without being just another AoE ability people spam for DPS. Making the skill more unique useful by giving more knockback or a guaranteed stun would also help.

It *is* more than just an AoE skill. It's a leap, and with high IAS it's a ridiculously fast one. The combination of high mobility and high damage in one skill allows my Duelist to avoid a lot of melee damage while dealing heavy damage.
I never said that it was just an AoE or DPS skill/ I never confirmed it to be an effective one in the first place; I am thinking that you misread my words or something. I was saying that it would be good for it to be something other than just another spam skill, to which there's a lot of already. Sure the guy leaps around, but if you use it as the only source of damage, it's still a spamming damage skill, just like flicker strike was.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
This spell seems super slugish when trying to use it as a mobility tool and had a bit too much damage. I'm running a 2-handed marauder and don't have many options to fill this mobility slot. Leap slam seemed like a good idea, but it doesn't actually make my character feel any faster. If I cast it on an enemy there is a good chance he'll actually just walk away before I land.

My opinion would be that of decrease it's damage and either increase the range or the animation speed. If a mana increase is warranted with this, I'm ok with that too. Most builds that take this will have access to blood magic if they want it spammable. If it's a matter of IAS making it too good with those simply make is scale worse with IAS and have better base values.

I want this to be an awesome mobility tool but it really doesn't feel like it. Other then jumping up/down cliffs which is honestly more of a gimmicky utility when compared to how I feel it should function.

Currently a L33 Marauder with This build
Last edited by Baurro on Aug 9, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
"
Xapti wrote:
I STILL don't know what you're referring to. Couldn't you have just said it by now instead?

I am referring to the following:
"
engel001 wrote:
After multiple uses of this skill, the animation speed is absolutely too slow. That skill is useless as it is right now. The intent of such "leap" skills is to jump in the crowd asap and then slash mobs, which is not possible atm.

(emphasis mine)
That is possible, with IAS. That's all I'm referring to :)
---------------
"
Xapti wrote:
Leap slam at it's base level does NOT deal extra damage. Like ALL melee attack skills, it gains increased damage with level.
[...]
Cleave doesn't have a base attack speed, so it will attack much faster resulting in more DPS.

So you level it and get a damage bonus. Fine in my books.

You claimed Leap Slam deals low damage. It has no damage penalty, gains 4% damage per skill level, and has 100% Damage effectiveness. There is no reason for it to deal low damage, and as such it does not.
Precisely because Leap Slam ignores weapon speed, you can grab a slow, hard hitting weapon to maximise damage per hit. With Cleave, on the other hand, you would most likely want a weapon with higher speed, which in turn has lesser damage. That is on top of Cleave dealing 70% base damage, having lesser AoE and gaining 3% damage per level (the effectiveness of which is also reduced by the damage penalty).

Leap Slam has the damage per hit, and Cleave has the attacks per second. Both can deal high DPS.

"
Xapti wrote:
What you might not understand is that this increased damage is additive with all other increased damage bonuses, so that if it says it has a 30% increased damage, it would really be increasing the damage by about 10% if you have 200% increased damage already.

It is quite unimpressive if you have high percentage-based bonuses already, true. However, because you build for speed, you're not getting that much +%damage. That skillplan has 50% from passives, and 212 Strength. It's a pretty good amount of +%damage, but Leap Slam adding another 44% (lv12) is still very noticable.

"
Xapti wrote:
It needs to be compared with alternate builds with similar sorts of equipment.

This is not how balancing works. You cannot grab a random character, slap two different skills on it, and see what happens. Balance should be based around two different characters with builds (both skill and item builds) that fit their chosen skill. That's why I bring up the big slow weapon point up time and time again. You can bring the same weapon with Cleave and it would work, but you cannot grab a Sabre (1.65 base speed) with high Elemental damage and expect Leap Slam to work with it. Cleave, however, would thrive with such a weapon.

Leap Slam is a quirky skill, and is only useful under certain circumstances. However, it actually is useful. I don't feel GGG should "demote" this skill to exclusively utility, rather than utility/main. Utility skills have to be really, really powerful to be useful.

Lightning Warp is a similar case. You can use it as a utility skill (but Phase Run is better so lol), or you can use it as a main skill. I see that as good skill design, just needs a little balancing re Phase Run perhaps. You seem to want skills that are more.. straightforward, I suppose. Either it's a main skill, or a utility. Different people, different strokes.

Question : If I use Blood Magic and have high Life regeneration, so that life lost casting Leap Slam gets regenerated before I land, would Melee Damage on Full Life kick in ?

In other words, will the damage be calculated at the start or when landing ?
"
Skjuld wrote:
Question : If I use Blood Magic and have high Life regeneration, so that life lost casting Leap Slam gets regenerated before I land, would Melee Damage on Full Life kick in ?

In other words, will the damage be calculated at the start or when landing ?
think that question was already answered by a dev somewhere, answer was "damage is calculated when it hits" as far as leap slam goes (meaning yes) but for other stuff that is more instant/active, then no.
This skill is a disappointment for me.

First of all, I don't quite get it, what it has to do with swords anyway?
Especially with one handed ones. I mean it's a SLAM! Slamming with rapier? Come on... There is whirling blades for it.

Next, what the hell this skill is made for?
Heck, I was waiting for it to drop, and got it only on 40th level, boy, was I happy. And what? It turned out, it's just another spamable AoE damage, what a waste!
There is a LOT of such skills already, what the point in creating another one?
I was really hoping for some unique skill with strategic appliance. Like some placement and control skill two in one.

In my opinion - skills like leap slam, shield charge, whirling blades just MUST have cooldown on them and be made as supporting skills and control skills.

My idea for leap slam is - good cooldown, extended range, fixed speed of jump, increased damage, and something like stun threshold bonus.

So it will be used to get closer to your enemy in PvP, or get into crownd in PvE with a good damage and stun. Some kind of initiation skill.

I've got a fairly simple question: When using Leap Slam, does it increase the damage you take or ignores all of your defense while using it?

I ask this because while I was being hit by Flicker Strike enemies, I was taking an average of 15 damage a hit, which spiked up to 40 when I decided to use Leap Slam to take all of them out. This resulted in a death and subsequent "out of the running" for the most recent hardcore race.
Actually I have the same feeling. You get much more damage, when take blows while in jump.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info