Infernal Blow

So still no feedback from the devs on my questions huh? :-)

Anyways, I figured most of them by now by experimenting on low level zombies :-). So far my build seem to work very very nicely, with quite a lot of things being blown up to pieces. The build is pretty gear dependent, i.e. need at least a 5-link to shine with all the support gems, but the final answer is that it is possible and quite viable to blow up packs and packs of mobs with just killing one mob. I guess one could say that IB shines really in end game as an aoe skill.

My build is, as one can guess, fire themed. Initially I started building up the damage such that the explosion is as devastating as possible. Of course this has the side effect of making 3 other skill gems quite powerful, namely :

- Fire trap: This really shines if dropped at your feet while Infernal blowing a mob, since the health of nearby mobs will be constantly deceasing making a chain reaction of IBlows.

- Molten shell: This also is quite powerful, since most of the time you have to be surrounded, a little bit of armor with a finale of a big nuclear explosion is always welcome.

- Discharge/Enduring cry: Again Infernal blow is a skill that has limited aoe range, so for it to be effective you really have to be in the midst of battle, hence maximizing the amount of endurance charges helps a lot in mitigating that damage. Combined with discharge and your massive amount of +fire damage investment, you will witness some hilarious moments of utter destruction. (my favorite is a discharge with a full 7 endurance charges after a molten shell explosion, and finishing the whole pack with an IB explosion).

Anyways, for the build to work a heavy investment in both fire / elemental damage + HP nodes is needed. I am currently at level 73 in HC. The one big drawback to my build is the reflect elemental damage rares in a pack. Because of the terrible terrible burst damage of Molten shell and IB, these packs need to be taken carefully.

The objective of the build is to reach a 100% on IB explosion which in theory is doable (I am around 66% right now), will report the full build and gear when that point is reached.

Edit: Almost forgot that two curses work very well in combination with the above, either warlords for the refreshing of the endurance charges (unfortunately the mana/life leech is only on physical damage and you will be doing almost none), or flammability.
Resists trolls
Casts Joy
Ninja looter
Spreads tar when tickled
Last edited by skarrmania on Mar 7, 2013, 10:17:09 PM
As I noted in the general forums my infernal blow characters IB skill DPS did not go up with the patch. Is this normal? Was the change to the skill retroactive or just new gems? My char is lvl 67.
i´m using this skill with my facebreaker templar. Seems quite okay and i was thinking of a build that could nuke down groups with 1 or 2 explosions.

i probably wont get to do it soon, lacking of time and currency , i would love to see the build in action... (probably in party play, not solo)

to pick up all fire nodes seem´s a bit to much for that, by increasing the firedamage by 100% , we just get 40% of monster hp.
so i guess we got to do it with critical strikes.
(of curse you will lack of tankability, it´s just meant to focus on a big BOOM)

maybe it could look like this:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVs3R2usRUe1BOQiKU-Cm13GRtfsODrYTdiMdp48gW9X4nflGmydrhJpFxxxeacIj0aBSbI4Zk_Q0Juh99dbWZ-0WK6smBSwAP0XUEwtgh6IQsHFLL-GrhXX14ZWY8HzbRk74eL3pyuLen_GoqMPxNzHO3xaprjKEZado_yrDkjjhMBRcNVwUohrtvcRL5ma62PsGI_62-dHBl9qHNyTJzdmLKam6zeD6rq4k-vuhEg8jgFvV8k0CowL7LC5fBVQJ6k=

This skill while using a staff and using the unique gloves Maligaro's Virtuosity for an additional +50% global crit and global crit multiplier it would get really sick.
so you would get 120% increased global crit multiplier, making the base crit chance for the explosion up to 15,4%. with the passive crit nodes (not weapon , not spell, and not global, but should work) of 200% we should get 46,2% chance to crit! without item modification , thats pretty nice

now the multiplicator. 90% global multiplicator * standard 150% multiplicator = 285% standard multiplicator
these 285% increased by passive nodes of 100% = 570 % Crit damage

that means , if your explosion will crit, you deal 570% of the initial 20% monstar hp = 114% of monster hp. AND even if they have fire resistance, they have a burningeffect by the critical stike, which will do 1/3 crit damage per second for 4 seconds = 133% of the 114% = 151% of monster hp (this will get increased by the burning nodes of 60%) = 242% of monster hp.
242% of monster hp aditional!!! even with a cap of 75% fire resistance on monsters, they would (ok ... nearly) die by 1 explosion with these 114% initial and 242% burning damage of monster hp

i know, maybe it´s a bit hard to get through the calculations, but it should be correct.

is there someone out there who can afford to get a prototype? i would love the reply

If the enemy dies soon after being hit, they will explode, dealing fire damage to nearby enemies.

Question - can one attack result in multiple explosions?

If a monster - who is not the target of the melee attack - dies due to the explosion, will they explode?

If a monster - who is not the target of the melee attack - dies due to ignite/burning, will they explode?

I think answer is no across the board, but I haven't seen anything definitive on this.

Also, can we get a response on this? Anyone know if these supports work with the explosion?

"
skarrmania wrote:

4) Support gems that affect IB explosion ( ? = likely but not 100% sure)
- Chance to Ignite (?)
- Added Lightning / Added Cold (?)
- Culling Strike (?)
- Others ...?
Suggestion Thread: Race of the Day
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/617940
I am level 64 currently and built a template around this skill and molten shell. I find this skill to be very weak. I have AoE skills and lots of damage bonus + the 60% increase burn damage and a 15% chance to ignite gem and this skill just doesn't cut it as an AoE or a single target. I use a 340~ damage staff and a 250 damage one hand mace for when I am forced to use a shield which is often. I find this skill completely worthless in groups as most melee skills and just watch the frost pulse, gmp fireball, totem throwers, and archers kill everything and hope to get to loot and that they don't notice me doing almost nothing /shrug.

I think the damage needs to be increased and the AoE range it seems my AoE passives had almost no effect.
question, im doing a inf blow templar, which bandit reward would benefit me better, the 6% ias or 12% phys dmg? thx
Hello just wanted to ask if benefits from dualwield and elemental damage from offhand also apply to infernal blow.

@Basement: Attack Speed I believe because it multiplies with multistrike (if you use that one)
Does the explosion of Infernal Blow trigger the on hit effects? or is it only the initial hit?
Does Infernal Blow benefit from increased buff/debuff duration nodes?
IGN: Zarithinor
Timezone: PST
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/krithusful
Infernal Blow Templar Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/441227
Zarithinor's Mirroring Service and Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/434938
"
nebunelux wrote:
Does the explosion of Infernal Blow trigger the on hit effects? or is it only the initial hit?

Depends on the effect. Life Gain on Hit specifies it only works with Attacks; the explosion is not an Attack (it's non-Weapon non-Spell Fire Damage). Blind and Chance to Flee work on any Hit, and will trigger just fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info