Discharge

Was going to try an 8 endurance charge build using this skill. Anyone try that before?
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Level 66 discharge witch

The buff to disharge increased damage by around 2k, bringing the dps to 7.6k for a full tri-charged explosion. However, I don't think the buff was big enough:

The build is still VERY squishy because it takes a lot of skill points just to get it functioning (aka chasing the +1 charge passives all over the tree). As well as extra charges, you need to take +spell damage and +ele damage nodes just to get it to a decent damage.

This is using
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
so my equips are definitely not the problem.

I get 1 strong explosion, then I have to kite around for ages, retreat heaps until I can get my charges full again. It's understandable that discharge doesn't kill rare mobs in 1 hit, it shouldn't be able to do that. When I'm discharging 3 endurance, 4 frenzy and 6 power charges and not quite killing a standard mob, its clear that the effort =/ gain.

@GGG: Try doing a level 61+ map with my character Rukuuu, you'll see what I mean.

Suggestions:
-Increase raw damage of discharge by a little bit more, especially power charges. They are the hardest to get by far and should be rewarded appropriately.
-Scale damage/AoE higher if more charges are being consumed at once

TL/DR: It's too costly and isn't possible at the moment to make a viable discharge build without sacrificing all other means of killing/defending.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Oct 11, 2012, 4:49:38 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
think that the patch that made the grid a lot nicer for most builds, made it a struggle for discharge players. whenever i messed around on passive grid, it took all 70-80 points used to grab proper defense, +3 power charges, and 1+ endurance and frenzy charges.

example of balanced:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMBAJbF5wRMZMMNMSecDfBgBRi6bYQakfLaGuvLPSC5Faci2ntuJgJE4yzXwgswGutZMNo5cDbSHOo63KoVPS5LFT-eX01CTNa8RR2NtEav_vNJRzicSwYla00zvqtPQ1l9UY1KKldgxb1c2d8UX5u5iGM6v8hlEXK1dwAWCX6aZNN_qsge7de5eIKqKcS8gbjm9G6Qt-uL29iwSX2ii2a2EvrjGZPrpCJJmS1ht7EoYKPZm6gS81_tVr0pmYDgIiIfhnOLD-xcbJzbMyK4qb8HYsg5MAH3IyC5jCqIdpY6prTK3NwZ64dD7NhmqSWLvwrfxx9hH-Vj0FT-i-Ku6EB07bCmEey49ymjnMVEzZYcZWq9IbtWzcpmYw==

example of grabbing every possible charge:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMBAJbF5weMEywNMSecDfBgBRbNI5QYum2EGpHy2hv-SJce7wu1ILkVpyK1-s0i2ntuI-9IrCT7DmI0NrVqOp8LDDrcqhU9LksVP55fTUJM1rxFHY20Rm8JN0av_vNLEvqpTTO-q09DWX1RjUoqVHnnAFnpMgFbPAaMXFtHQmM6v8hj8vejbDQWUnfO0Ox8hsoZfPbQmn6aZNOWHGVq7de5eLj3KaOwSX2ii2a2EvrjGZPrpCJJhnOLD-xcbJz0bpC364vb2NszIripvwdiyDkwAfcjILmMKoh2wxUH0JY6prTK3NwZnMVEzeuABwLd4sgm_vx_DqSYTeKMnwtq_WgJbZSDO57kr9wOoeaENbxH3uDw3Uh0wOZYb4qFdD30NCX0iWl-lqC2o_zrh0PsihcTm5XAPlHeoK9Nq-AyFQ==
note how i still took ci (for blood rage) and i skipped duration nodes because will be just reapplying the charges constantly. seems a lot more valuable to have 5 times the crit rate casting oftenly than to make a one shot burst... even after the damage buff.
edit: power charges are from volls armor
Last edited by soul4hdwn on Oct 11, 2012, 1:30:27 PM
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
example of balanced:

Even with 70 skill points this still won't work. A volls protector build requires lots of crit chance nodes, lots of accuracy to avoid missing on the critical roll and lots of attack speed so you can get charges at a reasonable rate. Everything about discharge is awesome except for its actual ability to kill so I'm sad I cant make a properly working build with it. If you don't spec into it fully, it's worthless. If you do try and build around it, you're left with no spare points for anything else AND a very average skill (at least for killing things at your own level. Plowing through fellshrine is fun/a breeze).
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Oct 12, 2012, 3:45:15 AM
"
lukeiy wrote:
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
example of balanced:

Even with 70 skill points this still won't work. A volls protector build requires lots of crit chance nodes, lots of accuracy to avoid missing on the critical roll and lots of attack speed so you can get charges at a reasonable rate. Everything about discharge is awesome except for its actual ability to kill so I'm sad I cant make a properly working build with it. If you don't spec into it fully, it's worthless. If you do try and build around it, you're left with no spare points for anything else AND a very average skill (at least for killing things at your own level. Plowing through fellshrine is fun/a breeze).

1)spells don't miss, mobs don't have a block/dodge to spells (yet? hope i didn't birth anything bad).
2)4-7% crit chance happens much more often than it seems and with power charges gaining, that just increases chances further.
3a)attack speed will be redundant if you take consideration of mana regen/cost =/
3b)plus frenzy charges will be your cast speed

however yes that was the point i was getting at, its hard to properly devote yourself to this skill without unintentionally gimping yourself. the "balanced" example tree i used has plenty of defense (still missing like 18 ele res if in merciless or OB) but other than AoE size (replaceable but i love it), it has nothing special like you/we pointed.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:

1)spells don't miss, mobs don't have a block/dodge to spells (yet? hope i didn't birth anything bad).
2)4-7% crit chance happens much more often than it seems and with power charges gaining, that just increases chances further.
3a)attack speed will be redundant if you take consideration of mana regen/cost =/
3b)plus frenzy charges will be your cast speed

Ah I didn't realise you were using spells. Can you get enough damage to kill effectively for blood rage to generate frenzy charges?

I've been using frenzy with 4 attacks per second, and relying on the 16% crit chance of dual wands + lots of crit passives.
"
lukeiy wrote:
Ah I didn't realise you were using spells. Can you get enough damage to kill effectively for blood rage to generate frenzy charges?

I've been using frenzy with 4 attacks per second, and relying on the 16% crit chance of dual wands + lots of crit passives.

i didn't get that far but its perfectly valid. power siphon is ok without volls and can still work with blood rage, but it'll be slower as wands start to fall behind in physical damage compared to other weapons. power siphon costs a lot too... (justifiably so though, lol +25% all damage)

how are all these frenzy builds getting 4 attacks per second or more? it took awhile to just get 3 attacks per second... with a 1.7 foil!
"
anubite wrote:
Was going to try an 8 endurance charge build using this skill. Anyone try that before?

Dont bother this skill is still garbage. The amount of skill points you need to invest to get 8 endurance charges for one underwhelming aoe is not worth it. I tried it and molten shell was twice as powerful with less skill points.
(copied from the alpha board, because I want a larger audience for responses and this isn't really an alpha-level issue.

Summary: discharge as a ranged wand attack proposal.)

Dear Discharge, we want you back.

Oh, we know you're still around, but you're sort of useless now, y'know? I've read how you used to be the man, all bark and plenty of bite. But it was too much, and something had to be done. Now you're a has-been no one talks about, too embarrassed on your behalf to say anything. When you're brought up, people shuffle their feet and look the other way, and then someone changes the subject. Usually to Diablo 3.

...Yes, Discharge, you're that bad.

But I'm writing to you to ask you if it's really too late. If maybe we can't work something out. You still have the looks -- I've seen what happens when you appear. It's just as impressive as ever. You're still one of the coolest-looking skills in Wraeclast.

The problem is no one wants to be around you. Or, more specifically, no one wants you around them. If we could maybe...I don't know, make you a ranged skill, something like Cold Snap but triggered from wands. You see, I think you and wand users have something in common: you're both linked to the process of building up charges, and you're both sort of frustrated by what's missing. That piece that brings it all together: accumulation, passive effect...active effect.

We want you to be that active effect again, baby. Wand users could really do with a flashy attack, and maybe you're it.

Because right now, Discharge, no one loves you. No one wants you. Even the wand-slingers, who seem like they'd be naturally drawn to you, are better off just using their Default Attacks over you.

If *I* were the best-looking skill in the game and someone said that to me, I'd pretty pissed off too. So you do that. You get angry. You figure out a way to be useful again.

Find your bite, Discharge, and get back in the game.

Spoiler
Simple, really. Make Discharge a ranged attack, wand-only. Give it a cooldown if need be, or some massive cost. Use the existing animations (because they're awesome and wasted right now), tweak the damage as necessary.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Oct 27, 2012, 12:11:13 AM
No way man, the way the skill works shouldn't be changed. It was sweet before because it was strong. Just needs a buff to damage again.
Last edited by lukeiy on Nov 5, 2012, 7:09:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info