Discharge

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Sep 9, 2022, 1:40:21 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Damage nerf was needed but i think it was way too harsh.
Now a lvl7 Discharge has around lvl1 Discharge damage.

I've made a build specifically for this skill, and i agree damage was pretty high before, but now it's not even worth using it. I'd be better spamming Shock Nova for higher average damage and keeping my charges.
Last edited by KurzedMetal on Dec 5, 2011, 5:49:04 AM
instead of nerfing enduring cry (with lower area and one by one charge), you basicly killed especially the frenzy- discharge builds now(which were slower in the first place, especially as a meleeeeeee ...). totally crapped
Sad to hear about the nerf. I'm still gonna give it a shot and see if i can still make the best of it.
Running isn't freedom. You should know that.
ighnaz - Thanks for the beta key!!!!
I HAVE NO MORE BETA KEYS!!
My 40+ templar hybrid seems to still be doing fairly well with this nerf, but he has extra elemental and fire damage and some legacy gear that is probably putting him over the top.

I have noticed quite a bit of a difference post-patch, however. I used to be able to spam enduring cry for 3 charges then discharge for often-lethal damage, whereas now it seems to be more efficient to build a couple frenzy charges as well, and it still isn't always lethal to high HP mobs. But Glacial Hammer or another quick cry/discharge combo will usually finish anything but rares.

Followup Edit: getting into merciless may cause me to shelve this character for awhile. The damage is ok with 6+ charges, but still not great. But my armor/health defense isn't cutting it anymore. I can't stand toe to toe long enough to make the damage count. Maybe if there's a respec and I can reach enough dex to try an evasion defense, it'll work out better.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Dec 6, 2011, 4:59:49 PM
After trying this skill out without legacy gear, I've come to the conclusion that discharge is probably no longer a useful skill. The damage you do is just way too low to justify losing all your charges.

You're better of keeping your (frenzy) charges and doing ground slam/cleave.

With legacy gear however, I'm doing 31k dps and with blood rage, frenzy charges are ridiculously sustainable.

In short, Discharge deserves the nerf as long as there is legacy gear. Without legacy gear I can safely say that discharge probably doesn't deserve a nerf.

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzudxtilpQP_CzgbmkYmW4w

Twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/uberj4ger
I'm currently rebuilding my HC fire-based tanky caster Templar again, but this time i'll use something i didn't find or use before: Concentrate Area of Effect.

It'll probably help me get the damage to an acceptable range (not having to recharge/discharge 4 times per pack), still i don't know if it's worth staying with none/low endurance charges most of the time. I'll update my opinions when i get to higher levels.
"
ronda174 wrote:
instead of nerfing enduring cry (with lower area and one by one charge), you basicly killed especially the frenzy- discharge builds now(which were slower in the first place, especially as a meleeeeeee ...). totally crapped

Doesn't make sense to nerf a skill which is balanced.

The problem with discharge was that it had too much burst and was too easy to build up charges. If so would a skill model where Discharge only consumes 1 or 2 charges, of each type, per cast be more effective? This would:
- Add value to increasing the spell's cast speed.
- Reduce excessive burst.
- Reduce risk associated by dropping all active charges.
- Add value to having multiple charge types.
- Make it useful to characters with a low charge cap.
- Allow the skill to worthwhile but at the same time not too powerful.

Reducing the radius of the AoE by 10-20% may warrant increased damage but there is already a gem for such a thing.
"
Fuuljo wrote:

- Reduce risk associated by dropping all active charges.

I actually like the tradeoff.

"
Fuuljo wrote:

- Add value to having multiple charge types.
- Allow the skill to worthwhile but at the same time not too powerful.

It already does.
After the nerf is not "too powerful" anymore, before the nerf the damage was WAY too high, i prefer it in this state (balanced/slightly overnerfed) than the previous. Like UristMcDwarfy said, just 2-3 charges were enough to clear the screen.

"
Fuuljo wrote:

- Add value to increasing the spell's cast speed.
- Reduce excessive burst.
- Make it useful to characters with a low charge cap.

And make it exactly the same as the rest of the skills?
This is the only reason why this skill draw my attention and made me make a build for it, it was different. I really hope to never see the changes you are recommending. If this is done, you can correctly rename this skill to "Rainbow Nova".
"
Fuuljo wrote:

Doesn't make sense to nerf a skill which is balanced.

was too easy to build up charges

wasn't easy to frenzy it up with my melee, but yes if it wasn't clear i mean frenzy-melee, your "was too easy" can only be used for anything range related

this is actually my main problem with the game, i don't have the confidence that a great balance can be achieved, when all skills are basicly available for any build
Last edited by ronda174 on Dec 7, 2011, 7:56:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info