Discharge

Oh how I loved you Discharge :)

Alas, it'll never be again it seems...
My take on Discharge, I really hope some of the devs read this, maybe you could confirm you've read it or not.

Have charges be gained in a non spammable way, warlords mark is okish, blood rage is okish, frenzy is meh, enduring cry is not.
Have it so like you gain a charge when you block an attack for example or when you crit or something that doesn't just spam one button to get full charges.

Then you take Discharge and make it better in some way, make it castable like rain of fire for example.

Then you add a skill like Discharge for every class, say for example you could take Sweep and make it spin several times with increased damage and speed and call it Discharge for marauders. (or some sort of moving whirlwind maybe?)

Another discharge for duelist could be that it gains 100% crit chance but expands one charge per hit (6 charges = 6 guaranteed critical hits).

For ranger you could make a seeking arrow/missile whatever that shots with increased damage or crit or explode on impact or whatever based on how many charges you have. (6 charges = 6 seeking arrows).

And so on ...
Last edited by rakware on Mar 22, 2012, 5:02:08 AM
I wanted to use discharge on my templar as a way to solo grind when the group I usually tank for isn't on but it seems that I might as well not bother since the damage nerf killed any real use of it.
fix discharge so its usable again plz? it was only over powered in 9.6 because of diamond flasks, then u cut the damage for fire in half? might as well remove it from the game...
I had no experience of discharge before the patch. I thought I would try a Marauder with discharge and endurance charges. To be honest the skill seems pretty much useless even on normal. So far I have not unlocked the last +1 Endurance charge in the passive tree (need a couple more levels). Even 5 levels over the mobs(I am L25) it is not a damage, mana or time efficient way to kill mobs.

I levelled up to this point with Molten Shell which seems to be at the right place it is fun but risky. I also have played a witch at similar levels with novas, even completely unsupported by passives they comfortably out perform discharge without the messing around building charges.

When you take into consideration that you need to invest 32 skill points to get the 3 x +1 endurance charge passive unlocks (this is a straight run to the edges without pausing for anything) it is pretty disappointing.

I can't speak for how it scales but it is essentially useless at this level.

I'll try and level a bit further (not using discharge!) but really cant see how one extra detonation will make much difference. :)
Last edited by BlowFish on Apr 7, 2012, 10:03:30 AM
I've been experimenting with Discharge for the first time in 0.9.8. I am using it on my Energy Shield tank character, who is close to level 30. He is so far specialized in energy shield, cold damage, spell damage, and +area of effect. Only keystone so far is Chaos Innoculation but might work towards Hex Master and the other one at the top of the tree.

Anyways, I party with a blood rage duelist and between my endurance charges (from enduring cry) and his frenzy charges given to me through Conduit, having discharge as an extra way to deal a ton of AoE damage has really sped up our clearing time. Even if I didn't have him in my party, I am assuming I could take Blood Rage myself since C.I. makes me immune to chaos damage (I hope I have this theory right, LOL).

I think discharge is still useful for certain builds and/or certain parties. Perhaps once they implement another way of gaining power charges besides power siphon I can incorporate it into my E.S. tank character and get that much stronger through discharge. Or, I could always try a wand with multiple projectiles on power siphon to gain them quickly.

I love the GIGANTIC explosion of discharge. It only makes me wish that the accumulation of charges were more than just "floating balls/orbs" around your character. It would be cool if you just glowed a certain color where the intensity grew the more charges you had (with the actual number still viewable via the square buff icon in the top left of the screen), and also if there was a sound effect slowing "building up" in the background until you used Discharge or lost your charges. (Kinda like Sion's Energy Shield from League of Legends)

I think the discharge change was a good thing, preventing it from being useful by stacking only one type of charge. It is clear they want this to be a skill for hybridized characters or charge-sharing party characters. I believe it can still work well.
Last edited by visibiliti on Apr 9, 2012, 11:46:29 AM
Discharge is the most overpowered skill in the game, and if you build correctly you can farm chaos or fellshrines twice as fast as any AOF build. You need to dedicate yourself for it, but the rewards are huge.

Saw it with my own eyes yesterday in merciless fellshrine - How is it balanced to clear an entire screen at once with so little effort? My 2k greater multi pierce fastercast dedicated glasscannon fireball witch couldn't kill 25% as fast as he did..

Since many people are saying that discharge is NOT good, i suggest that you give it better base dmg but less scaling because this is silly.
"
visibiliti wrote:
Perhaps once they implement another way of gaining power charges besides power siphon I can incorporate it into my E.S.

Volls armor+diamondflasks.
Ah yes, Voll's true. But in the focus of that sentence I was referring to my Energy Shield tank, and sacrificing a pure E.S. chestpiece for Voll's would be a big hit to my overall survivability... As it is I am trying to make him primary tank, secondary DPS. but yes I will admit I have not had a character with voll's yet. I guess it could be fun!
IMHO with the .99 change to diamond flasks, discharge isn't viable as a main skill anymore. The slight increase to the skill's damage is nice, but not enough to kill without diamonds in chaos. Guess that is intended. I will miss this skill :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info