Cleave

"
DARKFVADER wrote:
well i tryed "cleave-melee phys-faster attack-multistrike-conc effect" and get like 7.5k dps.

With "double strike-faster attack-multistrike-melee splash-melee phys" i get 8,6k dps.

So even if you take a gem that reduces the AOE for more dmg , cleave still is nowhere near doublestrike melee splash dps.

Well, it's understandable I think. Even with concentrated effect cleave will have a larger radius than melee splash. It'd take it from 20 to 14, compared to melee splash at 12. So with the numbers you're giving cleave is doing 13% less damage than your double strike, but it's doing that in a 17% larger area. I don't really see the problem.

Maybe you're trying to make cleave a single target/focused aoe when it's better used as a huge aoe?

Edit: I'm guessing that the dps numbers you gave are for the single target part of doublestrike-melee splash. It would be doing less to other enemies in the area. If you were talking about the dps of the area damage on secondary targets then it's like I said above. Also, forgot that cleave is 180 degrees rather than 360 like melee splash (I think?).
Last edited by Initemp on Jan 5, 2014, 6:57:42 AM
Cleave also doesn't require you to be in melee range; you can hit something at the full range, even if there's nothing next to you. It's much easier to control where you strike.
maybe the elemental aspect of cleave needed some nerfing. But the physical should be just returned where it was, such a useless skill now. please fix
IGN: Rollface
Cleave is dead, there are far better options for dual wield aoe. Dualstrike melee splash is better dps even with losing the support gem. Ele cleave doesn't work well enough to cleave anymore with buffed up auras. Phys cleave is still possible to do, but again, there's better options for it.

Spectral throw is a new and better version of cleave for 2-handers, and it's ranged, no more reason to cleave ever it's disappointing to me but, there's nothing to do about it.

(Personal Experience Post Release: Was using 2 1 handed ele swords with ~200 ele dps on both, even with the Templar, scion, and witch aura nodes, as well as inner force. I just don't see ele cleave as a viable option anymore endgame, not with this huge nerf to damage. With a free respec I made that character into a dual striker melee splash and the damage is better while dropping WED.

Just my two cents, other people may have had better experiences with it after the release of PoE.
"
Angormus wrote:
Cleave is dead, there are far better options for dual wield aoe. Dualstrike melee splash is better dps even with losing the support gem. Ele cleave doesn't work well enough to cleave anymore with buffed up auras. Phys cleave is still possible to do, but again, there's better options for it.

Spectral throw is a new and better version of cleave for 2-handers, and it's ranged, no more reason to cleave ever it's disappointing to me but, there's nothing to do about it.

(Personal Experience Post Release: Was using 2 1 handed ele swords with ~200 ele dps on both, even with the Templar, scion, and witch aura nodes, as well as inner force. I just don't see ele cleave as a viable option anymore endgame, not with this huge nerf to damage. With a free respec I made that character into a dual striker melee splash and the damage is better while dropping WED.

Just my two cents, other people may have had better experiences with it after the release of PoE.

No, you are completely right.
For one-handers, Reave will be MUCH better. For dualwielding, Dual Strike. For two-handers - Ground Slam or spectral throw. And for crit builds, there is Lightning Strike too.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

For one-handers, Reave will be MUCH better. For dualwielding, Dual Strike. For two-handers - Ground Slam or spectral throw. And for crit builds, there is Lightning Strike too.

Building a dual wield crit duellist (lvl 48 atm) and in my experience Lightning strike is the worst skill after all of those nerfs...

Even though the tooltip shows nice dps and I didnt took any melee phys dmg nodes, the projetiles do even less dmg than cleave AND you loose 50% of your leech, because 50% of your dmg is converted to lightning...
In addition to that LS does miss the target pretty often...

maybe LS gets better in lategame with higher crit chance and more dps, but atm especially the missing leech because of the dmg conversion makes the skill really bad compared to pure phys dmg skills imho...
Last edited by azraelb on Jan 1, 2014, 1:35:48 PM
Ive had a bunch of cleavers, but i have to agree that it got tuned down to much, for ele and phys, its not awful but its not great. Its a shame i really loved using cleave, but i dont see a point of building around it right now when there are other skills that do similar/more damage and allow for a shield.
ign:SerCleavy
"
azraelb wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Building a dual wield crit duellist (lvl 48 atm) and in my experience Lightning strike is the worst skill after all of those nerfs...

Even though the tooltip shows nice dps and I didnt took any melee phys dmg nodes, the projetiles do even less dmg than cleave AND you loose 50% of your leech, because 50% of your dmg is converted to lightning...

maybe LS gets better in lategame with higher crit chance and more dps, but atm especially the missing leech because of the dmg conversion makes the skill really bad compared to pure phys dmg skills imho...

Lightning Strike will shine only if you have high critical strike chance (= will shock foes). Spectral Throw will be better for non-crit builds, 100% sure.
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Lightning Strike will shine only if you have high critical strike chance (= will shock foes). Spectral Throw will be better for non-crit builds, 100% sure.

dont agree with that.
Imho shock stacks dont do much anyway unless as support for group play.
For singleplayer you will more or less kill most normal white and blue monsters in a split second anyway with high end gear and for high HP bosses your lightning dmg isnt enough to constantly shock.

Spectral throw simply does so much more dmg than lightning strike because with LS you will have more 'less' multipliers and in addition to that ST hits multiple times.

ST is ALWAYS better than LS. Thats why almost everybody uses ST and almost nobody uses LS...

same for cleave vs ST.
Cleave does less dmg and offers a lot less AoE... Cleave is totally underpowered atm
Last edited by azraelb on Jan 18, 2014, 9:21:31 PM
"
azraelb wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Of course, LS is crap at 48 level. It is viable only worth very high crit chance (>50% at least, better >80%) and high crit damage, so you can shock consistently. And, of course, damage should be high enough to leech consistently from physical damage alone (possible only in endgame with good gear). You probably miss Point Blank there too.

And it isnt a dual-wielding ability. But it's useful sometimes, at least, while Cleave is always crap.

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jan 20, 2014, 3:35:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info