Cleave

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last bumped on Apr 12, 2024, 11:22:50 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
From previous thread:
Cleave, like dual strike, hits with BOTH weapons when dual-weilding. That's why it nedds the penalty to dual wielding, since it's inherintly doubling the damage from using only one weapon.
The DPS display cannot currently account for dual strike and cleave using both weapons at once, and treats them as all other attacks, meaning it thinks they will alternate using one weapon at a time.
As such, the DPS display is incorrect with this skill while dual wielding.
"
Wargamer08 wrote:
With regard to dual wielding not interacting with the tooltip of this skill. If I have two total dis-separate weapon speeds which one does it use?

Example; Nomnom the Marauder is using Cleave with a Cleaver (1.1 attacks a second) and a Short Sword (1.65 attacks a second). What weapon speed is the Cleave?
Cleave currently uses the main hand attack speed only. This is likely to change eventually as we fix up the interaction with dual wielding
"
Squidgyxombie wrote:
Little annoyance: if I equip a Sword and Dagger, I can't Cleave, but I can Infernal Blow (using just the Sword). Can Cleave get this treatment of ignoring one weapon if the other can be used by it?
Not at the moment, due to how it handles damage scaling for dual wielding.
"
I've done the math, it's definitely the latter.

Yep, that's how it works, but it's a temporary thing - It'll work correctly in future.
Balance & Design
Because cleave attacks with both weapons simultaneously when dual wielding, rather than one at a time like regular attacks. At -40%, it's still better with dual wielding compared to a regular attack than it is for two-handed or for one-handed/shield.

Cleave while dual wielding inherently does double damage compared to a regular attack, and it doesn't for non-dual wielding. The (additive) 40% penalty brings this down to reasonable levels while still making cleave stronger with dual wielding than with other specs.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jan 22, 2012, 9:54:23 PM
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
"
laycast wrote:
I'm not positive on this, but I believe that when you cleave, you have the chance to hit or miss all enemies in your path. And this doesn't necessarily make sense, I think it should be that for each enemy it has potential to strike that it should do a separate "roll" for each of them. I don't know how hard this would be to incorporate, I don't think it's really a issue at all but it would just make more sense
Cleave does check evasion separately for each enemy.
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
aimlessgun wrote:
However, I've noticed something strange, that's backed up by repeated testing: The gem tooltip says "does half damage to other nearby monsters", however this does not seem to be the case. Whenever I cleave two guys next to each other, the guy I'm targeting dies at the same time as the guy I'm not.
That was removed a while back. I'll update the description. Thanks for catching that.

"
aimlessgun wrote:
EDIT: And just to make sure, to get the approximately correct dps of the skill, double the tooltip dps? (my weapons are extremely similar).
Assuming you're dual wielding, yes. The DPS display assumes that dual wielding hits alternate which weapon they use - which is correct for skills other than Dual Strike and Cleave, which hit with both at once. It will show the average of a main-hand and an off-hand hit. Even if your weapons are quite different in damage, doubling should still give a quite accurate estimate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info