Cleave

The biggest armor value in a monster is about 900.
A dev told someone.I think it was Victordoom that posted it.
If you do 2-3k physical damage I don't think monsters reduce any of it.
To crit or not to crit ?
if someone dealt damage equal to the foe's armor, then the reduction is only ~7.69% (rounded down slightly). if damage is double the target's armor, then the reduction is exactly 4%. if damage is half the target's armor, then damage reduction is ~14.29% (rounded up).

so, even having about 500 damage per hit, foes are reducing the hit by a noticeable but small amount (13.04% roughly based on provided).

lv 11 gems of cleave, more melee, multistrike and generalized weapon heavy spec'ed dualist trees (that still has defence mind you).

double foil average damage =~ 874 (plus crit boost, more than other sword)
double sword average damage =~ 868.5
double axe average damage =~ 1035
40% reduced Physical Weapon Damage while Dual Wielding

What is this? Can someone explain? Is it multiplicative with the 70% damage effectiveness? Or if I have for example 360% physical increase from passives, strength, belt, quest etc, now its 320% for each sword??

Its strange because if it were the latter then it would say reduced physical damage / melee physical damage, but theres the word weapon which makes me think the base weapon range is itself reduced.

Another question, does it deal the damage of both weapons in one hit? Will both swords roll a crit at once? For the purpose of armor calculations, does this mean if I had 2x 250 swords and I hit for 200% increased damage (keeping it simple, lets forget damage effeciveness and supports) ... would it count as one hit of 1500 or 2 hits of 750?
[quote="DirkAustin"]They can always make a loser league where Monsters do no damage and you one shot everything. Goodness, people, just don't play in the hard parts of the game if you cant handle them.[/quote]

"

What is this? Can someone explain? Is it multiplicative with the 70% damage effectiveness? Or if I have for example 360% physical increase from passives, strength, belt, quest etc, now its 320% for each sword??

Its strange because if it were the latter then it would say reduced physical damage / melee physical damage, but theres the word weapon which makes me think the base weapon range is itself reduced.

Another question, does it deal the damage of both weapons in one hit? Will both swords roll a crit at once? For the purpose of armor calculations, does this mean if I had 2x 250 swords and I hit for 200% increased damage (keeping it simple, lets forget damage effeciveness and supports) ... would it count as one hit of 1500 or 2 hits of 750?

The physical weapon damage reduction reduces the damage on each sword before any physical modifiers take effect. Damage effectiveness multiplies with this.

Example:

If you have 2 swords that do 100 avg. phy damage each, they now do 70 avg. phy damage each and get reduced further by the 40% to 42 avg. phy damage on each sword. I am not sure if reduced weapon damage affects +physical damage from rings, amulets, etc.

Simple math runeboy.

Both swords deal damage at the same time with cleave and roll crit chance separately based off of the crit chance on each sword. The hits are also counted as two separate hits of 750 damage each.

BTW I'm Terrible. ;)
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
"

'Reduced' is always additive with 'Increased', and both combined are always multiplicative with Less/More/Damage Effectiveness. So... Both!

Just a bit of old wording I guess?

"

Both weapons hit with one swing, hence the damage penalty.
Crit rolls are rolled per-activation (always are), so both swords will use the same Crit Roll. However, if your weapons have an inequal Crit Chance, it is possible to Crit with one weapon but not the other. Small odds though.
Two hits; armor applies to each hit separately.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jun 29, 2013, 4:43:55 AM
"
Sodomee wrote:
"

The physical weapon damage reduction reduces the damage on each sword before any physical modifiers take effect. Damage effectiveness multiplies with this.

Example:

If you have 2 swords that do 100 avg. phy damage each, they now do 70 avg. phy damage each and get reduced further by the 40% to 42 avg. phy damage on each sword. I am not sure if reduced weapon damage affects +physical damage from rings, amulets, etc.

Simple math runeboy.

Both swords deal damage at the same time with cleave and roll crit chance separately based off of the crit chance on each sword. The hits are also counted as two separate hits of 750 damage each.

BTW I'm Terrible. ;)

you are wrong again, look at poster beneath you

@Vipermagi: TNX! So its like this if i dual wield with a 250 weapon and I have +300% physical increase

250 x 0.7 x 4 = 700 (sword + shield)
250 x 0.7 x 3.6 = 630 (dual wield)
[quote="DirkAustin"]They can always make a loser league where Monsters do no damage and you one shot everything. Goodness, people, just don't play in the hard parts of the game if you cant handle them.[/quote]

"
"
Sodomee wrote:
"

Example:

Simple math runeboy.

BTW I'm Terrible. ;)

you are wrong again, look at poster beneath you

@Vipermagi: TNX! So its like this if i dual wield with a 250 weapon and I have +300% physical increase

250 x 0.7 x 4 = 700 (sword + shield)
250 x 0.7 x 3.6 = 630 (dual wield)

Test it out and see. I am not new to cleave...

Edit: If you have +Physical damage% passives it basically counteracts the -40%.
What I said is true it multiples with damage effectiveness, all of the physical damage % does.

If you have +40% physical damage in passives and dual wield 2 swords that have 100 avg phy damage each they will do 70 damage each. If you are using one sword it will have no penalty and do 98 damage with the +40% modifier
IGN: ThrobbinRobin
Last edited by Sodomee on Jun 29, 2013, 6:31:24 AM
"

This

"
Vipermagi wrote:

yeah

but im wondering how it applies to ele cleave?

ele cleave gets 70% damage effectiveness too, but while dual wielding there is no penalty to ele damage (except converted damage from added fire / hatred) because it says 40% reduced Physical Weapon Damage while Dual Wielding

Can't a dev just give official confirmation of how this works or must I spam a topic in every section? sigh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info