Cleave

I didn't get the skill until lv19( it was a reward for the Chamber of Sins mission) and since then I use it for every second mob I kill :) (I'm playing templar tank with one handed sword and shield) sorry for my english if I screwed up something it's not my nature language
So what has happened to this skill? Any upcoming boosts? What about the animation issues you have mentioned?

Mr curious here asking cause I am thinking if it would be a valid option to build a character with cleave as mainskill.

How much impact on the AoE does it have to use concentraded effect on the cleave skill? Is it still useful of does the skill become really bad doing so?

/T
IGN: Azatooth or Xploding
I use a mac with the wineskin port

and the cleave animation doesn't appear the way it should i see the air distortion sort of shows but i get some lines instead of that 180 degrees arc that i see on you youtube vids

if the devs want a picture and system stats i'l post it
just putting it out there i know you guys are still working with all the video card supports and all
I can't speak as to the viability of this skill in a physical damage build, as I haven't tried that yet, but I'm having a blast using it with the dual wield elemental cleave templar build found on the Templar subforums. The damage output is scaling perfectly with my character and with the difficulty of the game itself. I have no doubt that this will be a fun and effective end-game build. I'm especially loving my ability to use flicker-strike and vortex blades for extra manoeuvrability!

Though I haven't tried any other melee oriented builds yet, this one truly doesn't seem to be suffering from the gimped potential that people complain about with most melee champions. Granted, I'm only halfway through Act 2 cruel, so I suppose that Merciless could throw in the wrench a bit ;]

Either way, being halfway through the build, and halfway through the story, I feel that cleave is a very capable main skill! Or at least it is as far as elemental damage focusing goes.

My only real note as far as performance is concerned is that the Cleave doesn't always seem to connect properly. I have resolute technique, so I know they're not evading my attacks. It may be a bug with the animation, or perhaps just with latency. I'm sure it will sort itself out as they continue to develop, but it's worth noting!
Last edited by Zazulio on Feb 23, 2013, 1:34:01 AM
"
Zazulio wrote:

My only real note as far as performance is concerned is that the Cleave doesn't always seem to connect properly. I have resolute technique, so I know they're not evading my attacks. It may be a bug with the animation, or perhaps just with latency. I'm sure it will sort itself out as they continue to develop, but it's worth noting!

Monsters can block your attacks, thats why some hits dont actually hit
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Blocked Attacks still hit, they just don't deal damage :) /nitpick
(this is relevant for mechanics such as Life Gain on Hit)
i see tons of comments about cleave and dual wielding. but what about a 2-handed sword? sweep does so much more dmg, costs less, and has a larger aoe, but i have to use an axe/staff/mace. why can't a 2-handed sword get some love?
"
scrtwpnx wrote:
i see tons of comments about cleave and dual wielding. but what about a 2-handed sword? sweep does so much more dmg, costs less, and has a larger aoe, but i have to use an axe/staff/mace. why can't a 2-handed sword get some love?

Cleave attacks faster than Sweep, because Sweep has its own speed to do the animation and attack speed affects that, while Cleave is purely your weapon speed. Sweep base speed is about .87sec, which means as long as you use a 2H sword faster than that(which I believe all of them are and some up to 1.5-1.6 with attackspeed mods on a fast one), you will hit a lot more often leading to more DPS. The difference in dmg is only 5% after all, but the speed difference is 20-50+%. Not sure what "costs less" means, Cleave is by far the cheapest of the 2, and is I believe the cheapest melee aoe in the game. The only advantages of Sweep are the 360° and the knockback but the angle is rarely useful unless you're lazy and don't want to reposition slightly since cleave is very wide, the knockback is an ok bonus but not a good tradeoff for the huge damage disparity.

Now not saying 2H sword are in a great spot don't get me wrong. While Cleave is pretty good they lack other options imo. But they're not in a bad spot because of Cleave. Cleave is fairly boring, but it's actually a pretty strong skill. I think however it could use a little something compared to Ground Slam, the increased angle only balances the increased range of ground slam, but ground slam also benefits from reduced stun treshold. Cleave should have a chance to bleed or something like that I think.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Feb 28, 2013, 3:03:10 AM
Is it normal that the range of cleave is different between an axe and a sword?
It seems to me that the radius with a rapier/foil is bigger than with a 1-h axe by a noticeable amount.
Please allow us to use cleave with claws/daggers because there is absolutely no aoe skill that is designed for those tipe of weapons
Last edited by Maybe on Mar 17, 2013, 9:08:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info