Hypothermia

State-checks, such as "is Chilled", can only be done on Hits. Damage over Time does not Hit.
Damage over Time does not work in ticks, it's a constant degeneration, and state-checking every millisecond is bad for performance I imagine.
"
State-checks, such as "is Chilled", can only be done on Hits. Damage over Time does not Hit.
Damage over Time does not work in ticks, it's a constant degeneration, and state-checking every millisecond is bad for performance I imagine.

I don't think your state checks hypothesis applies here.
What about curses like Vulnerability for example?
Does a DoT do a state check for "is Cursed with Vulnerability" every millisecond or what?

I don't think so.

But like i said, we need somebody from GGG to tell us what's going on, not unfounded speculations.

Last edited by Lord_OverShadow on Jul 29, 2015, 4:23:05 AM
Curses apply modifiers to the enemy, not the Skill you are using. Completely different functionality :/
As i see it the "More damage" should be applied to Degen effects aswell. The "chill to frozen" should be resentenced as "on hit".
As i see it the "More damage" should be applied to Degen effects aswell. The "chill to frozen" should be resentenced as "on hit".
Has anyone tried this with spells that hit multiple times like Ball Lightning or Firestorm? Is it 10% per spellcast or 10% per hit? If its per hit then it should be easy to freeze chilled enemies with CWDT + Hypothermia + Ball Ligtning + Slower Projectiles
As always, on-Hit effects are calculated per Hit. It would be 'easy' to Freeze, if you deal sufficient Cold Damage to break the 300ms threshold. Ball Lightning isn't really a Hit Damage monster, and it doesn't deal any Cold Damage by default.
This is a great support gem for putting on an arctic breath totem. GMP + arctic breath + hypothermia + spell totem is a great decoy and lockdown mechanism. The chilled ground means the more damage and freeze chance almost always applies.

It's not that great as a self-cast because arctic breath is still terrible to use manually, but it's a nice support gem.
When I link it to Cleave, with my IR Cleave axe build, it only says "10% chance to freeze enemies which are chilled". As I am using
1. a Soul Taker
2. Hatred
3. Arctic Armour,

I am still very doubtful if Hypothermia actually works, damage-wise.
Cause I DO chill basically all the mobs, but I clear faster with Added Fire equipped instead of hypothermia. At least it feels like it.

So...How do I KNOW if it works? Cause as I said, I doubt it fully does!!
“Losing a limb is no excuse for cowardice.” - Master Sollis, "Blood Song"
It does work. Of course, your first swing isn't hitting Chilled enemies unless it came from Arctic Armour (lol), so it doesn't apply until your second swing. Considering the staggering rate at which whites die, odds are with Added Fire they just die to the first hit immediately - and that has a very notable impact on clearspeed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info