Wild Strike

Wouldn't EE be junk with Wild strike, especially for single target since the guy you hit with fire, then the explosion going out gets reduced in damage, so your next melee hit is lightning well that gets boosted but the arc is decreased, and so forth. I really wanted to make WS work with EE, but just tried and it seemed crappy. Especially since arc tends to hit the same targets, the fire and cold hit somewhat similar targets, although cold could hit further ones away.

I really like the feel of this skill, going to start a new char and see what I can do in the near future. Just wanted to test an old character out with a specific weapon, honestly a bit disappointed overall, so I might have to try other options. I really liked what changes to attack speed did.

I was planning on running it on blood magic without auras, but now I'm not so sure. Since I won't be using EE I might as well scale it with auras, however how do you sustain that high mana cost without BM? BM support?

Would 10% freeze shock and ignite be worth anything if you are RT? not sure it does much.

I'm guessing this build needs to be geared and set up just right, so my initial plans likely won't work.

Anyone else mess with EE? it seemed damage was pretty even with or without it, but you could add auras to boost dps without EE....

I really wanted to run this with BM, high hp and life regen.

edit:

Busted out the Tabula. So with 6 link this can be fun. wild, weapon ele, multi, GMP, qual inc aoe, and faster attacks.

Chain gimps you, so leave that alone. But the inc aoe really makes the fire do well as well as the cold.

EE seemed to be slight improvement over without for big packs clumped up, but that is about it.

Really a fun skill, but on easy content was getting hammered hard by elemental guys even with max resists. Haven't played melee yet with this new gimped life leech, even tried using warlords mark.

Last edit for now:

As a four link with Wild, weapon ele, and MS, I swapped between gmp FA and qual inc aoe. FA was overall the best, but qual inc aoe was actually really nice for clearing things and not much worse than FA, gmp wasn't that great at all.

Well off to do real life stuff. Hope other people can figure out how to make this work. I would actually prefer it to do straight physical damage on the melee attack and then choose a random elemental effect so that EE could be much more effective.
Last edited by SEOINAGE on Jul 14, 2015, 10:20:38 PM
"
draygourn wrote:
I wonder if WS secondary also is an ATTACK, can proc CoC and LGoH...

Considering there is no listed Damage value, it cannot be a Spell, Damage over Time or secondary Damage; it has to be an Attack.. And unsurprisingly it is.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 14, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
Draygourn it does work with CoC, but it's not as good as the normal coc attacks - although it is fun!
Another question regarding WS and crit: Knowing that the lightning arc and the cold wave are not considered melee, do they benefit from the abyssus melee crit multi?
The logical answer would be no, but I've read that in the case of molten strike, both melee hit and projectile have the same crit chance (but it might be a false information, I haven't found any confirmation from GGG).

Edit: I have found this old post from Mark regarding crit chances for lightning strike, I guess it applies as well for Wild Strike, and given the other Mark's posts in the lightning strike thread, I would say the abyssus melee crit multi doesn't apply to the proc-ed attacks of WS.
Last edited by Porcoflic on Jul 15, 2015, 4:25:49 AM
"
Porcoflic wrote:
Another question regarding WS and crit: Knowing that the lightning arc and the cold wave are not considered melee, do they benefit from the abyssus melee crit multi?
The logical answer would be no, but I've read that in the case of molten strike, both melee hit and projectile have the same crit chance (but it might be a false information, I haven't found any confirmation from GGG).

Edit: I have found this old post from Mark regarding crit chances for lightning strike, I guess it applies as well for Wild Strike, and given the other Mark's posts in the lightning strike thread, I would say the abyssus melee crit multi doesn't apply to the proc-ed attacks of WS.

As far as i know, the "roll" for critical strike is made "per attack". And results of this roll depends on stats you have.

For example, let's say you have 60% crit chance with melee, but only 50% with non-melee attacks. Let's assume you roll 1-100. If you roll 51-100, all attack parts will crit. If you roll 1-40, no crit will happen. But if you roll 41-50, then your melee hit will crit, but projectile and other parts wont - that's how it works.

I dont take accuracy "check" for confirming critical strike into account, because it's independent from crit roll, and is culculated "per hit", rather than "per attack".
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Porcoflic wrote:

As far as i know, the "roll" for critical strike is made "per attack". And results of this roll depends on stats you have.

For example, let's say you have 60% crit chance with melee, but only 50% with non-melee attacks (due to disemboweling cluster, etc). Let's assume you roll 1-100. If you roll 51-100, all attack parts will crit. If you roll 1-40, no crit will happen. But if you roll 41-50, then your melee hit will crit, but projectile and other parts wont - that's how it works.

I dont take accuracy "check" for confirming critical strike into account, because it's independent from crit roll, and is calculated "per hit", rather than "per attack".
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Jul 15, 2015, 10:06:21 AM
"
draygourn wrote:
"
TinyAngryCrab wrote:
Wild strike is quite fun with cast on crit - the lightning pinging around counts as an attack so you can get some fun stuff happening there. Not ideal but fun!

I actually read the whole 3 pages to find this answer.
I also plan to use WS with CoC, but having doubt about the 'second effect'.
In case of Static Strike, the 'explosion' counts as attack, benefits from many..many whatever, and proc LGoH (if I am not mistaken). I wonder if WS secondary also is an ATTACK, can proc CoC and LGoH...

I can confirm that the secondary portion is doing life gain on hit.

I feel like the secondary aoe needs clarification on how it rolls damage though. I think it needs to be higher to be on par with other skills.

Currently level 73 with a decent claw (not great). I stay alive with life gain on hit and mana gain on hit. By myself I clear and stay alive. In a party, my damage doesn't seem high enough. even though I am at 16k damage due to insane attack speed. .11 seconds/attack

Current setup 5L Wild Strike
Wild Strike + Multi Strike + Faster Attacks + Melee Physical + Increased Crit Damage. The secondary damage seems quite low when I don't crit. I should probably try weapon elemental damage.

4L Frenzy
Frenzy + Power Charge On Crit + Fortify + Faster Attacks.

I have 5 power charges and 5 frenzy charges.

Gear:
Spoiler

Tree:
Last edited by NullPointer568 on Jul 15, 2015, 10:26:29 AM
Melee Phys is pretty terrible for Wild Strike - only the Melee Hit benefits, because the Elemental effects are not Melee Damage. That's why the secondary damage seems low. :)
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Melee Phys is pretty terrible for Wild Strike - only the Melee Hit benefits, because the Elemental effects are not Melee Damage. That's why the secondary damage seems low. :)

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely switching. But what about the physical conversion to the element. Shouldn't that more phyiscal go in before the conversion?
Last edited by NullPointer568 on Jul 15, 2015, 2:14:56 PM
I've been testing wild strike on standard where I have the gear to better support testing. Some unrelated thoughts so far:

Wild Strike's mechanic is amazingly fun. Multistrike is absolutely the first gem to link.

The mana cost gets pretty prohibitive in a 6L. Because of the conversion to ele, I'm having a hard time supporting either resource usage or life or often both. I've tried cold and lightning doryani's invitation and HoI/HoT. Its not enough leech. I've also tried doryani's catalyst. Still not enough leech. I really don't want to have to put a leech gem in the links.

Even with all damage links in a 6L the damage is ridiculously underwhelming. I think this stems from the difficulty in supporting the additional affects. Vaal Lightning Strike is a must for burly single target's but not reliable for bosses.

Still having problems deciding on WED or MPD or both...MPD obviously makes the first hit stronger but consensus says it has no effect on the secondary stage.

As has been mentioned already in this thread, the ice pulse should gain projectiles as the gem levels, just like the chain on lightning increases.

I tried a CoC build taking projectile and projectile speed nodes and trying Freezing Pulse, Arctic Breath, Ball Lightning, and Ice Spear. Innervate was an amazing 6th link. 100% onslaught uptime. Again, a lot of fun, but lacks the damage to do bosses. My favourite combo is FP and BL.

A high quality Elemental Proliferation is very effective. I think the 140% mana multi is bullsh!t though. The damage loss is already punishment enough. The nerf hammer struck too hard here.

One can reliably run Innervate or Hypothermia or Ice Bite in the links.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info