Wild Strike

"
Stt3r0 wrote:

Obviously i meant melee phys support. LS and MS do not require target to proc their effects, LS got quite some range while MS can shotgun. You should rather comapre it to static strike - it requires target and the aoe does scale with melee damage. Or Ice crash - it doesn't scale with melee damage but got better coverage and can be used without target. Both of them also got more scaling options with aoe and element.

WED was all along in the links - but with lack of melee phys support & tree scaling there is just not enough scaling to use with EE. So you need to use elemental scalling that just works better with other skills. I

If it were obvious, then it wouldn't have needed a response.

Your two statements together add up to "I cannot scale it on just phys and EE, therefore, I need Elemental Supports to scale it and can't use EE".

Because the Effect damage are based on your Physical Damage + Converted Elemental Damage, it can be scaled by Physical increases. You stating "skillgot nothing to offer other than fewer scaling options" shows exactly what you meant. It has the same scaling options as any other Melee Skill all except for "Melee" specific supports, such as "Melee Physical Damage" support gems, and any passives that specifically say "Increased Melee Damage". "Increased Damage of Melee Weapons" passives still work as I mentioned.

You can use EE with it by NOT using Added Elemental Damage Auras, Buffs, and Equipment. Anyone thinking of using EE cannot use Added Elemental Damage to their skills, regardless of what that skill is.

Don't treat it like Elemental Hit that only scales off of Attack Speed and Elemental Damage.

As for supports, Wild Strike + Multistrike + Weapon Elemental Damage are obvious for starters. If you're looking for something to support everything in general, try Accuracy, Crit, Crit Damage, or Faster Attacks. I mentioned Multiple Projectiles so that the Ice effect will have greater coverage, so that at least the Lightning and Ice effects will prove useful. Life Gain on Hit will work for each target hit by the effects as they're all Attack damage, not that that will increase the damage.

There are few generic options, but at least there are enough to fill the slots. Passive Scaling would be "Increased Damage w/ Specified Melee Weapon", "Elemental" and "Critical", so try Staves (Templar), Daggers (Shadow), or Swords (Ranger). Claws (Shadow) are also an option as their critical rate isn't bad either (though not as good as Daggers), but the implicit Life Gain on Hit with all the Elemental Effects flying off will help with staying alive. I'm trying Staves myself since I always wanted a Staff build, but i only just got Wild Strike so I haven't been able to play with it much. Although the Initial Melee nodes of Templar wont really help the effects, its not going to hold it back any as Staves can get some huge raw damage and damage increases from their passives and have a decent crit rate.
Last edited by darkwolf7786 on Jul 14, 2015, 1:21:08 PM
"
Stt3r0 wrote:
Or Ice crash - it doesn't scale with melee damage but got better coverage and can be used without target.

Ice Crash does simply scale with Melee Damage, for the curious.
The Elemental Effects of Wild Strike are a separate effect, or so it seems. There's a hit that strikes a monster, and then a second attack created from the first that creates a Firey Explosion, the Ice Wave, or the Chain Lightning.

In Ice Crash's case, the Ice Effect IS The Attack, rather than an additional effect of the attack, which would be why Melee Modifiers would apply. (I haven't used Ice Crash myself yet, just seeing a video of it).
Last edited by darkwolf7786 on Jul 14, 2015, 1:27:41 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Stt3r0 wrote:
Or Ice crash - it doesn't scale with melee damage but got better coverage and can be used without target.

You sure about that ? I think target that i hit directly with it takes a bit more damage.
Anyway the more reason for WS to also scale with melee damage.

@darkwolf7786 - Melee phys damage is huuge, you also got strength bonus. Also if you scale aoe/projectile or particular element you only scale 1/3 of the skill. Next is penetration gem that works very well with one element skill but here you just got 1/3 benefit.
I wanted to like the skill but i did play with it and ice crash (i do got the AoE nodes on templar throu) - the latter is far better.
"
Stt3r0 wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Stt3r0 wrote:

You sure about that ? I think target that i hit directly with it takes a bit more damage.
Anyway the more reason for WS to also scale with melee damage.

@darkwolf7786 - Melee phys damage is huuge, you also got strength bonus. Also if you scale aoe/projectile or particular element you only scale 1/3 of the skill. Next is penetration gem that works very well with one element skill but here you just got 1/3 benefit.
I wanted to like the skill but i did play with it and ice crash (i do got the AoE nodes on templar throu) - the latter is far better.

Of course Ice Crash is better. Its simpler. Only a single element. It AOE is everything around you. Its skills like Ice Crash and Static Strike that question Melee in general.

Wild Strike is messy, needs more generalized modifiers to boost it, its AOE is quite small comparatively. It has multiple elements, so you could get multiple status effects. Celestial Punishment would get you 25% increased overall damage while enemies have Status Ailments. Wild Strikes works with Multistrike. Wild Strikes can make use of EE so you don't have to worry about Penetration gems.

At level 20, Ice Crash will hit the main area once for 200% (from what's listed on the wiki anyway). From the progression, it would seem that Wild Strike will hit a single target for around 260%, estimated 130% for the Initial Hit and I assume 130% for Ice/Explosion/Lightning effect, by assume I mean I assume the effects will also hit the initial target. Since it can hit faster as well, you'll probably get more single target DPS with Wild Strikes but that's just some theorycraft anyway.

If you want straightforwardness and consistency, choose Ice Crash. I think Wild Strikes is a more fun skill to try and play because its so awkward.
Last edited by darkwolf7786 on Jul 14, 2015, 3:21:25 PM
Wild strike doesn't hit initial target twice - you just get the 130% hit but once you factor in speed it evens out.

for EE - what you are gonna support it with ?
WS-WED-FA-MS- aaand? you either support 1 element or throw crit chance/mult that each won't give more then 15% more damage.

math
Spoiler

Comparing EE escaling and elemental one : assume your WS does 100 damage (FA % MS are used for both so no need to factor them)
40 phys x 1.3 [crit gems] = 52
60 elemental x 1.59 [WED] x 1.3 [crit gems] => 124

against 0 resists - EE will at most make 2/3 attacks hit agaisnt -50% and 1/3 against 25 so =>
132 x (1.5 x 2/3 + 0.75 x 1/3) = 155

against 50 resist - like wise 2/3 attacks will hit 0% and 1/3 against 75%
132 x ( 1 x 2/3 + 0.25x 1/3) = 93 damage

agaisnt 0 resists 197 total damage
agaisnt 50% resists 145 total damage

Pure elemental build replacing crit gems with phys to lighting and added fire :
0 physical
100 elemental x ( 1+0.44 [added fire] +0.29 [Phys2L]) x 1.59 [ WED] = 275

against 0 resists it is just 275
against 50% resists 137

Basicly EE provides no benefit and i did not factor in ash/hatred for pure Elemental.

IF i didn't mess it up the only situation where EE provides any benefit is agaisnt 75% resists and we were told bosses don't have that high ele resists.

Bottom line is efficiency, if you just fool around do with whatever you want but to push content you want all power you can get. And so it happens that any melee crit build can use WS for fun as you can't spec into it really.
Last edited by Stt3r0 on Jul 14, 2015, 3:58:54 PM
Wild strike is quite fun with cast on crit - the lightning pinging around counts as an attack so you can get some fun stuff happening there. Not ideal but fun!
Last edited by TinyAngryCrab on Jul 14, 2015, 7:19:28 PM
Anyone else feel that adding additional ice projectiles would be insanely beneficial to the skill? The arc portion gets additional chains when leveled but why doesn't the ice get more projectiles? I mean adding 1 at like lvl 10 and another at 17 or something would be amazing.\

Even flame totem gets additional projectiles as it levels up and right now it's extremely strong. Split arrow gets more projectiles too! I'm probably forgetting others too.

I doubt many people, if any, would be using GMP or LMP on it because of the waste of a gem slot. However, when using one of those two support gems it just feels far more interesting and cool. It looks amazing firing out multiple projectiles too. Clear speed would also be raised a fair bit.

Projectiles no longer shotgun so it's not like it gives any huge advantage other than hitting more mobs. Without multiple projectiles it basically feels like the exact same thing as the fire aoe but goes out farther. It needs more uniqueness.

The cost vs reward just isn't there to spend it on projectiles that only affect one aspect of the skill. Why bother upgrading one aspect when you can do it to all of them?

Please add additional projectiles as the skill levels up. It would make the experience so much better.
IGN - WazaBaza
Last edited by Wazabaza on Jul 14, 2015, 7:28:50 PM
The first character I made after coming back to path in 2.0 was wild Strike. I had a lot of fun with it...but as time goes on I started thinking "Man this skill is going to have so many problems scaling..." because its multi element cant use penetration, not melee cant up it with melee, super short range...I feel like this skill could of been more. anyone else think this?
"
TinyAngryCrab wrote:
Wild strike is quite fun with cast on crit - the lightning pinging around counts as an attack so you can get some fun stuff happening there. Not ideal but fun!

I actually read the whole 3 pages to find this answer.
I also plan to use WS with CoC, but having doubt about the 'second effect'.
In case of Static Strike, the 'explosion' counts as attack, benefits from many..many whatever, and proc LGoH (if I am not mistaken). I wonder if WS secondary also is an ATTACK, can proc CoC and LGoH...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info