[DISCONTINUED] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

@ Wolf287

Punishment works well, Herald of Ash, Blood Rage

Try these and let me know how you like them
This post is gonna be rather sort of criticism, constructive criticism
If you (reader) are one of those ppl that cannot take critics just skip this post, flaming is not arguing and taking offense is out of place as well ;)

I did not read thru the whole comments, so maybe someone pointed it out already before me, but ...

1st off...
the links to passive skill points don't work for me... why don't you use the official PoE skill planner is a mystery for me.

2nd...
why to use Added Fire Dmg instead of Fortify?
AFAIK and I would even bet I am right Elemental damage does NOT boosts your life-leech at all (except you got the unique item that leeches life from fire dmg, iirc some chest armor does that), so your argument on Mateo94's question about using Fortify is quite wrong since the leech is not stronger at all with that added fire dmg gem ^_-
What's more...
Fortify adds Incr.Phys.Dmg (aside extra defense) so yes, it is far better choice rather than extra fire dmg, since it actually even boosts your life leech.

3rd...
I wanted to comment on the passive skills, but since they do not open at all for me, thus I cannot see them, I end here with.

In overall I find the build to be pretty miserable on higher levels, just from looking at the primary support skill gems. Going Groundslam without added STUN DURATION and STUN TRESHHOLD REDUCTION is kinda fail imo.
Why?
well... simple question: Why do you want to use Groundslam?
It is obviously not for its high damage ^^
Why not?
Well... pretty simple, because it has not very high dmg. For high damage there are far better skill choices than GS.
It is not the attack speed as well... nor crit chance, nor bleeding...
So why does one take GS?
Yes, Stun, and once again... Stun... AoE stun, that's the true potential of that skill, not damage or anything else.

Groundslam is not the fastest killer, not the strongest OHK (One Hit Kill), it is mainly a safe tanking build. since what is stunned does not hurts you, what does not hurts you is not a threat.

Aside that, the guide is missing quite some usefull stuff, like what other skill gems to use in the remaining equip slots, etc.
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
Can someone please redo the links for how to progress on the skill tree? I really want to try this character but none of the links work. :( Thank you!
"
Moribundus wrote:

2nd...
why to use Added Fire Dmg instead of Fortify?

Well, with Added Fire Dmg (LvL 17) I'm doing ~14,5k dmg compared to 10,7k with fortify (LvL 19)... that might be one reason.
@Moribundus

1st off and 3rd off are the same problem which you have neglected to say, but I updated to tree and added an optional route.

2nd off: I chose added fire damage as it does exactly that... It adds elemental damage and boosts overall damage with GS. I agree that Fortify might be a better choice, but for a new player, which this build is more open for, they wont receive this until act 3 rather than act 1 (this makes a difference)

Lastly to sum up as you did in your short review, you said that this build is a "safe tanking build."
I'm not sure if you got this, but that is exactly what this is. I am not trying to make an "100k DPS uber Atziri build." This is just something that people can use to level quickly, survive past endgame and have fun! If you didn't like it than thanks for trying it at least.

Also added a lot so check it out, it may help you.

Cheers, ConnorJ177 (CCANNING)
Hey, I have been following this build for my first character and I am level 66 atm. Just curious why you removed the cluster of mace damage increases ect. on the far left of the tree. I am into step 4 of the build currently. I have 14 respect points but I am tearing through merciless right now, I am just curious.
@ XTS2

Just fixed, it was there for the earlier skill trees, but got erased when I updated them.

Sorry for the confusion, getting those nodes is very important
"
blastinMot wrote:

Well, with Added Fire Dmg (LvL 17) I'm doing ~14,5k dmg compared to 10,7k with fortify (LvL 19)... that might be one reason.

Don't take my words out of context, please, k k? ;)
I was reacting to the reasoning found in the 1st page.
I am very well aware that with Added Fire Dmg one gets more damage, but nobody - incl. me - neglected this, so read next time to what I react not just (part of) my reaction itself ^^

"
Connorj177 wrote:
@Moribundus
1st off and 3rd off are the same problem which you have neglected to say, but I updated to tree and added an optional route.

2nd off: I chose added fire damage as it does exactly that... It adds elemental damage and boosts overall damage with GS. I agree that Fortify might be a better choice, but for a new player, which this build is more open for, they wont receive this until act 3 rather than act 1 (this makes a difference)

Lastly to sum up as you did in your short review, you said that this build is a "safe tanking build."
I'm not sure if you got this, but that is exactly what this is. I am not trying to make an "100k DPS uber Atziri build." This is just something that people can use to level quickly, survive past endgame and have fun! If you didn't like it than thanks for trying it at least.

Also added a lot so check it out, it may help you.

Cheers, ConnorJ177 (CCANNING)

1st off... Thanks for mature response and fixing the broken links ;)

You made a good reasoning about the Added Fire Dmg vs Fortify, I would suggest you to include this note into the OP, as it may be an usefull info for newreaders ;)
Honestly. Although, ele.dmg does not boosts life leech, it helps with phys.immune monsters and bigger dps, while Fortify boosts defenses and phys. damage (especialy if supported with the passive skills)

Yes, ofc. I know it that it's a tanking build, that was clear for me already from the title - groundslam. GS = tank.
And that is exactly the reason why I was commenting about focusing on tanking support gems, rather than damage support gems.
To be fair, I would split that into 2 variations:
A) using dmg focused skill gems for solo play and/or for situations where the monsters are not an great danger
B) using taning focused skill gems for multiplayer and/or situations where the monsters are big troublers.

I checked the passives and good pathing done on those. Especialy for the early steps.
Except one focus, which I would not recommend to take - the Path of Warrior passive (incl. all the points leading to it) and rather investing those into other passives that boost quite better this build. Why? Passives you recommend are not focusing alot on armor, Strenght is not a lackluster and the phys. dmg can be gained in other passives or replaced with more usefull passives that maybe don't grant additional %ipd, but they may save yerr arse in pita situations(like ie. Unwavering Stance, etc.), or different skills that otherwise help out with other aspects.
I also noticed you recommend to use the Devotion passive cluster nodes, but Mortal convinction is missing, which is quite crucial if you want to run auras with Blood Magic.
Auras with BM w/o MC = fatal results for your life.
The endurance charges can be also gained on other spots in the passives tree and save you up at least 2 passive points as well.
Also going with Skill gem Added Fire Damage and not taking the Lavalash and/or Arsonist passives is ... well... you know ;)

btw. I noticed you totaly skipped taking any Reduced Mana passives.
Ofc. this build uses BM so there is no Mana, so what's the point, right?
Not sure if you know it, but most probably the newbies don't know it at all, the Reduced Mana cost of skills if BM is present is converted to Reduced LIFE cost...
Now if you reduced the amount of life cost of your skills, that will allow you to hapilly spamm your skills and spell w/o noticing life orb drops (even w/o leeching life), just because the passive Life Regen takes care of it.
I remember my first tries with BM when I was pretty much killing myself just by using skills without even taking damage from monsters. Then I dropped few passives in RMC and dang that was quite difference.
So that said, if you are noticed life orb drops from using skills, put some points into the RMC passives, there are like 3 clusters nearby, it far more as one would need for this build :)

Suggestions for skill gems:
- Warlod's Mark (this should be not missing from GS build)
- Melee phys.dmg at full life (if you are not running any auras and have good stun)
- Concentrated Effect (if you got the INT/Blue socket)
- Stun
- Endurance Charge on melee stun
- Decoy/Regeneration Totem
- Fire Penetration (if going with Fire Dmg focus)
- Herald of Ash (if going with Fire Dmg focus)
- Cast when DMG taken
- Cast on kill
- Immortal Call
- Molten Shell

regarding the equip mods, reduced enemy stun treshold, increased stun duration and increased phys. dmg are ones to look for with GS.

Some noteworthy/missing passive skills categorized with simple commentary

Good luck with the slammer ;)
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
@Moribundus

Thanks for the comment, this makes a lot more sense and is a better build. Also I apologize for the harsh response as I have had some sleepless nights due to a friend passing recently. I didn't mean to come off on the wrong foot and took you for the person that uses this build incorrectly and has no idea about what they are talking about. You proved otherwise. Thanks for putting this all together and taking the time to do so.

After looking into the tree, I am going to chance to what you mentioned, take a look when you get the chance. (Also added resistance nodes)
Last edited by Connorj177 on Aug 12, 2015, 4:48:11 PM
I tried the lava lash and weapon fire damage passives on the lower left corner of the tree, but even while using herald of ash it gave me a very small dps boost, whereas the other half of the mace damage buff passives on the left side of the tree gave me a much better increase. It's probably better for using something like molten strike but for groundslam it doesn't seem worth it to me unless I'm missing something.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info