We're Adding More Divination Cards!

Love the idea to farm a non map area for the rest of my life.
D2 forever!
Right, so I think there are some shared concerns on the Divination Cards and I saw a general pattern in the way people voice these concerns.

Firstly, lets look at the definition of the cards from GGG.

"
One of the most exciting additions to Path of Exile: The Awakening is the Divination Card system. The cards are a new type of item that drop in many areas of the game. Divination Cards allow players to systematically work their way to the acquisition of desirable items, without having to rely on random chance alone. Once enough cards are gathered through play or trade, they can be exchanged at the Act Four NPC Tasuni for a specific item. The rarity and power of the item received determines how many cards are required in trade. All Divination Cards appearing in The Awakening will be designed by players.

The underlined part is simply no longer true.

- Are divinition cards supposed to give the player a sense of progression? Or should these feel like lucky drops like the card system in Ragnarok Online? Right now, the number of cards seem irrelevant to the item, so an average player doesn't know how to regard them.

- If they are supposed to be an item that someone can work for, lets compare the following scenarios:

Humility 1/9 [Tabula Rasa]
The King's Heart 1/8 [Kaom's Heart]

As for numerical differences, we can agree that 9 > 8. However the value of a Kaom's Heart is worth much more than a Tabula Rasa. With this reasoning, we can presume that it will be harder to find a King's Heart card than a Humility card.

Using an arbitary economy, lets say Tabula is worth 1 ex and Kaom is Worth 10 ex (exchange rate of 25 chaos per ex), and that this "vaule" is also reflected into the drop rate of both of the cards. In this economy, one Humility card would be 2.7 chaos, one King's Heart would be 31.25 chaos. So one King's Heart card is 11.5 times more expensive; thus it is logically rarer than a Humility card. We won't know the real drop rates, but let's assume for the sake of argument that the drop rates are parallel to the fake economy we have going on here.

At the rate/price of 2.7 chaos, you will most likely see one Humility card in a play-session of 2 hours. RNG will RNG, but when you get one drop, your reaction will be "Oh nice, 1 more".
At the rate/price of 31.25 chaos, you will most likely see one King's Heart card in a play-session of 2-40 hours. RNG will RNG, but when you get one drop, your reaction will be "holy crap a King's Heart".

So the argument/question is, does seeing a card much rarer take away the sense of progression?
It certainly doesn't "feel" fruitful when you spend 100 hours and get no single card drop, when you still need 8 more of those. Will bumping the required total amount by 11.5 times and adjusting the drop rate help? Maybe. But then again, you will be taking away the different feel of each card. They shouldn't all have the same rarity of a chaos orb, but at the same time people shouldn't feel like their playtime is being wasted - especially if they have to farm a lower area.
LOVE IT!

AWESOME !!!

HYPEEEE

SO EXCITED! REALLY NICE!!!

GG GGG!
ign : Wicked_Ego
"
Yosakoi wrote:

Nailed it.

I think the divination card system might actually disenfranchise some players from the game. It is very disheartening to be told you can farm an area for gradual steps toward an item, and then not make a single step in a very, very long time.
I can't even believe my eyes. These are incredible, and in my opinion, the best update to have ever come to PoE thus far.
"
Kagari wrote:
"
feelgewd wrote:
whoever made prismatic/rare jewel cards, you're awsome

I did the Metalsmith card, can you please explain in a few words why you like it to see if it matches with my ideas ?

sure

i don't know but if im not mistaken you'll return the ring up to a item level of 82 right?
if so, it's really my thing of a card i'm always into jewerly and it's not easy to obtain ilvl 79 rings/amulets at the moment for t1 mana regen which is very popular in every league
one of my main reasons why i farm 77-78+ maps are to get rings and amulets and your card for prismatic and that card is not only good for standard players but any league is good for prismatic rings, resistance is a pain to get for new players. also higher resistances on higher item levels is a good bonus too. the only thing your card would become better (in my opinion) is a diamond ring lol
but anything than that it's a damn good card, honest words from me

edit: i think prismatic ring card is a common drop and i like to farm those too, especialy if they were available in maps. the beauty is you can get some crazy RNG with alchs

sorry for bad english
what up cuzz
Last edited by feelgewd on Jun 30, 2015, 8:23:17 AM
"
Aziraphale wrote:
"
Yosakoi wrote:

Nailed it.

I think the divination card system might actually disenfranchise some players from the game. It is very disheartening to be told you can farm an area for gradual steps toward an item, and then not make a single step in a very, very long time.

That's why i think a lot of small steps would feel better than a few bigger ones. But then some people say "you want an easy game with easy loots" so i give up :(
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
to bad nobody has made a rare rustic/leather belt with the new affixes they could become insane items
what up cuzz
"
feelgewd wrote:
"
Kagari wrote:
"
feelgewd wrote:
whoever made prismatic/rare jewel cards, you're awsome

I did the Metalsmith card, can you please explain in a few words why you like it to see if it matches with my ideas ?

sure

i don't know but if im not mistaken you'll return the ring up to a item level of 82 right?
if so, it's really my thing of a card i'm always into jewerly and it's not easy to obtain ilvl 79 rings/amulets at the moment for t1 mana regen which is very popular in every league
one of my main reasons why i farm 77-78+ maps are to get rings and amulets and your card for prismatic and that card is not only good for standard players but any league is good for prismatic rings, resistance is a pain to get for new players. also higher resistances on higher item levels is a good bonus too. the only thing your card would become better (in my opinion) is a diamond ring lol
but anything than that it's a damn good card, honest words from me

edit: i think prismatic ring card is a common drop and i like to farm those too, especialy if they were available in maps. the beauty is you can get some crazy RNG with alchs

sorry for bad english

Ok cool ! You're pretty much in line with my ideas :) I thought about diamond rings but i like to play a lot of non crit builds so prismatic was a better option since uit cannot drop in the wild as before, so it's still a little different than diamonds or two stone.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
"
Kagari wrote:
"
Aziraphale wrote:
"
Yosakoi wrote:

Nailed it.

That's why i think a lot of small steps would feel better than a few bigger ones. But then some people say "you want an easy game with easy loots" so i give up :(

Personally, I'd like to see all cards drop at the same rarity and the set rarity completely determined by collector number. In addition to making it much more rewarding when you're in those dry spells, it would be interesting to see card price variations that are dependent entirely on demand (and to a lesser degree, desirability of the farm zone).

Having a bad day and still banking 6/100 cards seems a whole lot better than having a bad week and farming an area you're over-leveled in for virtually zero XP, middling loot from no map bonus, and zero cards to show for it.

It's also important to note that divination cards' rarities and the completed item rarities are not 100% analogous. You could be in a map and get either a Kaom's Heart or a Shavronne's Wrappings to drop, but assuming overlap is minimal, you cannot get a Kaom's Heart card and a Shavronne's Wrapping card to drop in the same zone. I have a feeling these cards are going to be much less-used in the economy than people think.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info