Slight alteration to the exp-penalty to make the game seem more rewarding

First off, an ex-penlaty is definately needed to motivate players to play better. It seems to me, however, that many players find the idea of loosing their hard earned exp hard to digest. Some feel that their time is simply wasted, others that it is not respected. This can lead to loss of players and that is not a desired outcome.

So, I was thinking if we could have a system that would impose effectively the same penalty for death, but seem a lot less "unfair." I came up with this:
- When you die, you lose no exp, but you do not gain new exp until you have paid out what you would have lost (10% of a level). Alternatively you could gain some very small number (few percent) to preserve a feeling of progress.
- If you die while paying the penalty, the penalty gets reset, but does nto stack. If they stacked, you could end up in so much "debt" that you would not be motivated to continue. This will also make boss-fights more appealing since you risk to lose only 10% of a level in exp.
- When you level up, the penalty does not get reset and you still have to pay the remaining exp. The amount of exp is determined by the level you are on when you die.

So basically you pay for deaths just as before, but you never lose exp. Consequently you do not feel like your hard work was wasted, because all that exp is still there. And, because you know in advance that you need to repay that exp, it does not feel unjust to not get new exp.

Any thoughts?

This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Agreed for now.

If desync really is fixed in Act 4, and one-shotting monsters were reduced, then a harsh penalty is good, keeps the adrenaline going. But while you can run into occasional, unavoidable, one-shot deaths, there really should be a much softer penalty and the OP's suggestion is good.
May your maps be bountiful, exile
I like the idea of having a exp gain penalty. You get like 25% of the exp you'd get, and the 75% goes to "pay off the penalty". That'd remove the "omg almost ripped with 99% to lvl 98" global messages xD
I don't like it, while it does encourage people to try or do bosses, those should have their own risk\reward associated with it and should not be determined that well "i can only lose 10% so why not"

The current penalty in 2.0 will be perfectly fine, this topic has been discussed so many times before. GGG said they are happy with it and I suspect after 2.0 changes they will pretty much ignore all "feedback" related to it.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
I don't like it, while it does encourage people to try or do bosses, those should have their own risk\reward associated with it and should not be determined that well "i can only lose 10% so why not"

The current penalty in 2.0 will be perfectly fine, this topic has been discussed so many times before. GGG said they are happy with it and I suspect after 2.0 changes they will pretty much ignore all "feedback" related to it.

So they will lose countless other players and will be happy of this. What a crew of geniuses ;)
"
Wispo wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:

So they will lose countless other players and will be happy of this. What a crew of geniuses ;)

Typically the players that quit because of XP loss are ones that are less experienced and won't or don't spend money anyway. Not saying that is the only thing that matters, but trying to cater to a crowd GGG never intended for isn't in it's best interest.

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:

Well the 10% is a big penalty for high-level chars, but you could have some stacking to balance out the risk/reward.

But I have to agree with Wispo on the second part. This is a suggestion for improving the exp-penalty system so claiming that it is "perfectly fine" is not really helpful. It is basically just stating that the suggestion has no merit without providing arguments.

And I really do not see the wisdom in ignoring suggestion for impoving their game. GGG might disagree and for good reasons, but they should not disagree just based on "this is settled". I'm really legimatelly worried that the current system can turn players off and result in less PoE for the rest of us.

On the 25/75 line, I waas thinking more like 1-3/97-99. 25% is so much that it would make leveling too easy.

Edit:
As for catering for the crowd that does not purchase points, I dunno. Do they? And, more importantly, would they if they stayed on later? I don't have the stats, but I don't think we can really assume thet the players that quit because of the exp-penalty system don't buy points.
Last edited by Cipp on May 22, 2015, 10:42:22 AM
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Wispo wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:

Typically the players that quit because of XP loss are ones that are less experienced and won't or don't spend money anyway. Not saying that is the only thing that matters, but trying to cater to a crowd GGG never intended for isn't in it's best interest.

Or maybe those players are those tired of being one shotted by some rare devourer in a bad mood popped out of nowhere, or by a pack of 947 chimerals jumping on head from off screen all at one.

Simple solution: cruel exp loss 2%. Merciless exp loss 5%. PROBLEM SOLVED. Expecially because 10% after level 85 it's NUTS
Same arguments in the same type of threads over and over again.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1207788

"
What are your thoughts on the current state of the death penalty?

We are happy with the death penalty in its current form.

This was before they announced lockstep, removal of shotgun and other changes, including an increase in map levels. They are making it much easier to not die from "stupid" things in beta, paired with the fact that he made that statement before we knew of any of these changes just further proves the fact that they are fine with it.

Simple solution is not to reduce the XP penalty because a few whinny people on the forums want the game to be easier. The better solution to XP penalty is to play safer and build proper defenses.

"
I'm really legimatelly worried that the current system can turn players off and result in less PoE for the rest of us.

I am worried that people are beating a topic to death for no reason, so many changes to improve "stupid deaths" or deaths out of your control that this topic should be tabled until after 2.0 comes out and high level maps and characters are fully tested with the other changes. You are trying to come up with a solution to A) a problem that doesn't exists even in live and B) if it did so many things in 2.0 are changing to improve the "loss or cheated" feeling.

They don't really cater to the crowd that don't want to invest time into learning the game or any of its mechanics, if you read what I said they should and are focusing on the crowd that does learn or tries to learn and use the mechanics of the game, any reduction or rework of the XP penalty would be to cater to those that are not likely to learn the game and its mechanics and ones that are less likely to invest into the game financially. If players quit before they get to endgame maps or around level 85 (mid level maps) chances are they don't care that much about their character or the game to buy anything to make them look cooler, nor do they need to "invest" into getting stash tabs. I am not saying everyone that quits because of the XP penalty is not a supporter, but if you had to look at the %, if it were possible to see I can promise you it would be much higher then the people that would have or did spend money.

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
Same arguments in the same type of threads over and over again.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1207788

"
What are your thoughts on the current state of the death penalty?

We are happy with the death penalty in its current form.

This was before they announced lockstep, removal of shotgun and other changes, including an increase in map levels. They are making it much easier to not die from "stupid" things in beta, paired with the fact that he made that statement before we knew of any of these changes just further proves the fact that they are fine with it.

Simple solution is not to reduce the XP penalty because a few whinny people on the forums want the game to be easier. The better solution to XP penalty is to play safer and build proper defenses.

"
I'm really legimatelly worried that the current system can turn players off and result in less PoE for the rest of us.

I am worried that people are beating a topic to death for no reason, so many changes to improve "stupid deaths" or deaths out of your control that this topic should be tabled until after 2.0 comes out and high level maps and characters are fully tested with the other changes. You are trying to come up with a solution to A) a problem that doesn't exists even in live and B) if it did so many things in 2.0 are changing to improve the "loss or cheated" feeling.

They don't really cater to the crowd that don't want to invest time into learning the game or any of its mechanics, if you read what I said they should and are focusing on the crowd that does learn or tries to learn and use the mechanics of the game, any reduction or rework of the XP penalty would be to cater to those that are not likely to learn the game and its mechanics and ones that are less likely to invest into the game financially. If players quit before they get to endgame maps or around level 85 (mid level maps) chances are they don't care that much about their character or the game to buy anything to make them look cooler, nor do they need to "invest" into getting stash tabs. I am not saying everyone that quits because of the XP penalty is not a supporter, but if you had to look at the %, if it were possible to see I can promise you it would be much higher then the people that would have or did spend money.

Not easier, but less shitty. Because a game that consumes too much time relatively to how much it rewards you (let's think the ton of time needed to go from, say, lvl 88 to 89, only for taking a +10 stat in the tree, because the node that we want it's still far away), and too much time in absolute, it's not difficult, it's crap :/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info