Slight alteration to the exp-penalty to make the game seem more rewarding

"
Cipp wrote:
"
So basically you want to make it so the player stops making progress until they pay off a deficit, effectively making players not want to play at all, instead of having it so players immediatly begin making progress once they respawn and play the game?

Well, you make progress by paying of the debt and potential small progress while in debt. I guess the difference is in how you see your progress. Is it less motivating to grind and then lose that grind or grind and then have to grind some more the get forward? I dunno, but to me it seemed like some players take the loss of grind somewhat bad.

I will admit that your system is probably more lenient to the player if the deficit was capped at 1x10% penalty, but the way it is presented to the user would demoralize more people in my opinion. It's better to see yourself immediately making progress than it is to see you making no progress until you've paid off a debt. Yes, when you lose XP you are set back, but the same is accomplished with your deficit system, like you said it's all about perception.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on May 23, 2015, 11:32:33 PM
Ok, so this was merely an idea to present the exp penalty in a way that would allow for new exp-related features and possible make if bit more rewarding to some player.

So, for example, you could have the old system, but with a cap of how much of the exp you have gained on that level you can lose. So when you have gained 75%, you could not go under 25% anymore for example. This could be represented with a red bar after you exp bar that goes to the point where you were before you died, so that you always see yourself as making progress (shortening teh red bar.)

It seems however that these features are not really desired and the different way to represent exp penalty makes some players less motivated to continue. I guess this is because PoE teaches you to not get too attached to your exp and you do not feel so bad losing it. It is about expectations afterall. I was merely thinking that this could make PoE more appealing to new players and not alter the mechanics for the old players too much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info