Divination Cards?

So, now we can get something like 1/100 shav's that sells for close to a price of 1/100 shav's.

Was hoping for more interesting addition, and "design a divination card" is nowhere close to "design a unique item", but well, it's somehing people asked for, and cards are just a small part of the expansion.

Could have been "shavronne's left sleeve" implying "collect a full set through trading to
sew together", good thing it's not.
"
"
Not a fan of mtg I suppose?

Not even a tiny bit. I am also not a fan of arbitrary bullshit that basically accomplishes the same thing as just buffing droprates slightly of certain items.

But that's not all they're doing. They're also forcing these same people to not do maps, or to possibly stick to particular maps. It's not the same as if all of these divination cards could drop anywhere. Further, the swing on a 100-stack item is way lower than if they just buffed drop rates for uniques to be slightly higher on average.

Say a shav's took an estimated 1000 hours on average to specifically farm for (it's longer, that's not the point). Then they make these divinations take 10 hours on average to farm for, each.

The former is a poisson process with lambda 1/1000, "expected value" between occurrences of 1000. The standard deviation on the corresponding exponential distribution is thus also 1000 hours. That's enormous. But when you have a poisson process of lambda 1/10 and are merely waiting for 100 occurrences, the mean is the same, but the standard deviation is much lower. So when chris says it'll be a "more deterministic way to farm", he's quite serious. They don't even need to buff the "average" chance, but they're at least making the swing waaaay lower.

Anyway, now that we know that divination cards can be used for currency, I wonder how many people will say "mirror of kalandra". And I wonder if GGG will actually grant a mirror of kalandra card.

I'm imagining... 1000-stack, can only be dropped in a vaal temple map? :P I'd say the Alluring Abyss, but at this point people in Standard seem to run that more than vaal temples....
Last edited by codetaku on Apr 29, 2015, 9:31:08 AM
i thnk i like the cards... for a casual player it is very hard to get good loot, so with the card i can work towards something!

so instead of farming 5 days without a direction and getting nothing. i´m now farming docks and getting 1 card a day, and know that 2 more cards will give me the unique. so i´m motivated to farm more...
Last edited by Cador2 on Apr 29, 2015, 9:23:22 AM
I like it so far, depends on what we can vendor the cards for though. If it's just a wisdom shard per card then it'll be forcing players to trade.
"
Cador2 wrote:

so instead of farming 5 days without a direction and getting nothing. i´m now farming docks and getting 1 card a day, and know that 2 more cards will give me the unique. so i´m motivated to farm more...

well it will depends about the unique, but don't expect to get Shavronne in 3/3 cards in half a week in docks :)
IGN TylordRampage
"
"
Sakazaki wrote:
"
I am surprised they bothered to make a big fuss about something so utterly boring.

Not a fan of mtg I suppose?

Not even a tiny bit. I am also not a fan of arbitrary bullshit that basically accomplishes the same thing as just buffing droprates slightly of certain items.

This isn't even close to being the same thing. Farming for something specific vs. completely rng, how is that the same? Even if it takes forever, some people will like the fact that they can work towards something certain and can lower the amount of RNG.

Buffing the droprates wouldn't enable you to ever get something specific.
This genuinely has nothing to do with MTG. The cards could easily be any other collectible material. One look at the art should make clear they're going for a sort of Tarot aesthetic.

I think this is a great idea. The game is turgid with item based RNG, so a little deterministic farming should be welcome. I don't think GGG can fit this one into the lore as they did Naps, but I'm okay with that at this point.

If you can allow yourself to think abstractly, look at the cards as components. Sure, to us they're just cards, but to the Exile they might be broken bits of equipment or disassembled currency orbs.

Ultimately, this is as much a crafting process as it is farming.

edit: best tablet typo ever. Naps. lol.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 29, 2015, 10:21:03 AM
"
Charan wrote:
This genuinely has nothing to do with MTG. The cards could easily be any other collectible material. One look at the art should make clear they're going for a sort of Tarot aesthetic.

I think this is a great idea. The game is turgid with item based RNG, so a little deterministic farming should be welcome. I don't think GGG can fit this one into the lore as they did Naps, but I'm okay with that at this point.

If you can allow yourself to think abstractly, look at the cards as components. Sure, to us they're just cards, but to the Exile they might be broken bits of equipment or disassembled currency orbs.

Ultimately, this is as much a crafting process as it is farming.

edit: best tablet typo ever. Naps. lol.

I disagree. This is all about farming/grinding. Maybe in the "lore" they're crafting these items, but in game, this will be all about slamming one certain area to achieve specific cards.

Once it's found out where the most expensive cards are, that area(s) will be solely slammed
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/
At a meta level, yes.

And I know many players only see that level.

The X factor is, of course, the rarity of these things.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
comm_il_vec wrote:
I disagree. This is all about farming/grinding. Maybe in the "lore" they're crafting these items, but in game, this will be all about slamming one certain area to achieve specific cards.

Once it's found out where the most expensive cards are, that area(s) will be solely slammed

Unless divination cards have ridiculously inflated drop rates, I really doubt anyone except the self-founders will "slam" specific areas for them. It's made to be closer to deterministic, no one has said thus far that it's made to be "faster" on average. See my earlier post (on the same page as your post) on why that's different.

My expectation is that the most efficient farmers will still be doing the same farming they're already doing, because that will get them more value on average so they can just buy the unique items they want, instead of farming a worse area to manually get the item themselves.

If it's possible to consistently farm the shav's area(s) for shav's cards enough to get a shav's faster than efficient dominus (or... "the beast") runs can get equivalent value to a shav's for direct purchasing of a shav's, that is a balance issue that GGG will fix. Either that, or the price of Shav's will just tank to the price of Kaom's right now, and the market will have fixed itself, and dominus runs will still be more efficient.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info