Community News: New Forum Management

neat.
"
Nubatron wrote:

Should she have? A forum that has no censorship digresses to the maturity of the lowest common denominator.

I agree mate, even if in practice it means myself and some other posters who I know are coming from the 'right' place get stuck in the penalty box a bit more at first until we learn to carebear the way we word things a bit more then good, maybe we should.

The way I talk when Im sitting down for dinner with my grandad and mum when I go to see them and the way I talk when Im drunk in a pub with my mates are completely different. The F-Bomb count, the coarse nature of phrasing, I dont even have to think about it or consciously make an effort its just way toned down. Im a graphic designer, I mostly work from home but when i go in to our studio Im in a room with other people, my boss is a muslim, hes my age, we get along well but swearing and being bombastic is something that can make him a little uneasy... was a little harder to tame my atheist, abrasive, london bloke self there but I make the effort and manage.

See, this is why I mentioned ziggy, hes a calming influence in his streams chat, ever worked in a place where your boss is someone remote you rarely see? That 'us and them' thing can easily develop, when you work right next to your boss and your are friends, you interact, share casual talk etc its much more often an 'us' thing, and 'us' is a lot more conducive to civil behavior than 'us and them'. Thats why I feel like GGG shouldnt hold back from being active on the forums, trying to keep a professional distance I dont believe is healthy. It shouldnt be forced, no one wants them on a rota where its Qarls turn today to go and pretend to give a shit about some conversations... no one wants fake its just awkward for everyone involved. but I think the more they interact with their community here, the more the community will turn into something that is conducive to their interaction, and that would be healthy for the game and the community. I dont know why they dont interact more, if its the vibe of the community, a want to be professional, just that theyre all too busy, Im not making presumptions just throwing out thoughts.

It helps when the community is working together toward a common goal.
It helps when the devs are setting those goals and using the fora to their advantage.

Left by itself, the fora break down into rival factions and divide themselves. I know that myself and a lot of other people that trawl the Gameplay Help forum can be generally nice because we all have the common goal of mass enlightenment about the game. There's nothing to lose by more people knowing how the game works (unless you're a trader and you're using people's misinformation as a trading lever).

In Feedback, it's mostly combative. Some people want the game harder, some want it easier, and there's always a handful of people that would rather spend 99% of their time discrediting someone else's opinion than reply to it directly.

In a specific build thread, it's quite nice again. Most people just want to know "what's the best this build can be" and everyone groups around that common goal. There's some back and forth about the best way to pick up defenses or what uniques to use, but it's always looking in the forward direction.

It's not a solvable problem. GGG made the game competitive so there will always be division and fighting over something scarce. Back in CB, everyone knew there was a wipe eventually, so people could throw themselves into the common goal of finding bugs and making the game better. I was secretly hoping that that ethos would persist through the OB transition, but all the new blood came in without any of that history and acted predictably.
I like how one of my last posts wasn't simply edited but Support asked me if I'd be so kind and edit it myself. Outcome is the same but it feels much better because I feel like I have a word in it (I can refuse to edit if I state a good reason or so). Good change.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Thanks for the update, cheers Bex
<3 Bex
Casually casual.

You're doing great Bex !
I feel so sorry for forum moderators though, there is so much salt and crying everywhere on the net, this does not exclude PoE forums. When I browse I sometimes forget there are also people actually enjoying the game, because they are playing and not posting here.
"
Xavderion wrote:
I like how one of my last posts wasn't simply edited but Support asked me if I'd be so kind and edit it myself. Outcome is the same but it feels much better because I feel like I have a word in it (I can refuse to edit if I state a good reason or so). Good change.

That's actually rather brilliant.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
We'll see how it goes...
GD stuck in the middle of the index is a poor choice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info