How the Closed Beta is going so far

wish me get beta key
the main issue here for most people is not their dedication, rather their complete ignorance on how beta testing really works.

you have to understand that a developer does not only need a veteran player that knows every crack and corner of the game, who plays Hardcore and avoids certain boxes because they have an Exile or freeze them or is able to speedrun from 1 to 80 in the first 10 hours of playing.

a developer requires a healthy ratio between 'good' players that will be able to go through the content faster and encounter/find bugs and 'bad' players that will give a fresh perspective to the developers based on how they see the difficulty/skills/enemies/maps and so on.

what you people fail to understand, past the obvious lack of patience and extreme entitlement issues, is that games are programmes that HAVE TO be tested by noobs as well as vets.

you assume that video games are a product like any other that will be tested and refined by enlightened individuals (and you happen to be one of them, right?) and it has to be perfect.

well games do not work that way and if you have had any kind of contact with the industry, from a PR job to beta testing, you would know this.

it is not an elitist issue. it cannot be covered by thinking "Let's pull all the 1000+/supporter pack/100 level/streamers in and it will be perfect!"

CBTs exist to check bugs, are almost never complete, they crash, they frustrate.
OBTs exist to stress-test the servers, to provide the last feedback before a 'launch'.

the sad part is that most of you in here are just PoE veterans. you admit it yourself, you've been playing PoE since 2012 and you have over 2000+ hours and and and. are you really that blind that you can't realise how narrow minded this is? playing only 1 game? what perspective exactly will you offer with this insane dedication?

you will test and compare and contrast based on what? you haven't been playing much else based on your own quotes in this forum. what will you compare PoE with?

please, if you really believe you want to be part of a development process and help out, go play something else and be patient. become informed, clear your mind off PoE and come back later, play something else and become more able to judge issue and situations.

large post, i apologise, but those who want to read it, will.

one last rhetorical analogy in the off chance you realise what is going on.
let's assume we all have a car producing factory. we design and manufacture a new car. now here is the tricky part; who is going to test it and who do we want to sell it to?
do we only bring in Michael Schumacher or Lewis Hamilton to test drive the car? or do we also invite a 60 year-old grandmother, the local priest, an 19 year-old university student and a single mom?

the logic behind this is universal, not just Chris'.

tl;dr version; every planner requires input from a myriad different sources. fresh eyes bringing fresh perspectives. be patient and you might get in, to really feel what a CBT is all about, with all its problems/crashes/bugs.
"
Kaysee wrote:
FTR I am totally on board with the CB reasoning, allocation and even new accounts getting accces. Although the should have been a cut off date, as people joing up today are now impacting chances of others. Anyway, i appreciate GGG need test feedback directly and indirectly from testers.

My point ealier, and only complaint, is about the non-beta (overwhelming majority) POE players now having almost no motivation to play in POE vanilla... and this will continue until they're in Awakening (beta or release).

Same here, this is not BETA it is dirty Marketing/Advertising.
Spoiler
"
Kayuga wrote:
the main issue here for most people is not their dedication, rather their complete ignorance on how beta testing really works.

you have to understand that a developer does not only need a veteran player that knows every crack and corner of the game, who plays Hardcore and avoids certain boxes because they have an Exile or freeze them or is able to speedrun from 1 to 80 in the first 10 hours of playing.

a developer requires a healthy ratio between 'good' players that will be able to go through the content faster and encounter/find bugs and 'bad' players that will give a fresh perspective to the developers based on how they see the difficulty/skills/enemies/maps and so on.

what you people fail to understand, past the obvious lack of patience and extreme entitlement issues, is that games are programmes that HAVE TO be tested by noobs as well as vets.

you assume that video games are a product like any other that will be tested and refined by enlightened individuals (and you happen to be one of them, right?) and it has to be perfect.

well games do not work that way and if you have had any kind of contact with the industry, from a PR job to beta testing, you would know this.

it is not an elitist issue. it cannot be covered by thinking "Let's pull all the 1000+/supporter pack/100 level/streamers in and it will be perfect!"

CBTs exist to check bugs, are almost never complete, they crash, they frustrate.
OBTs exist to stress-test the servers, to provide the last feedback before a 'launch'.

the sad part is that most of you in here are just PoE veterans. you admit it yourself, you've been playing PoE since 2012 and you have over 2000+ hours and and and. are you really that blind that you can't realise how narrow minded this is? playing only 1 game? what perspective exactly will you offer with this insane dedication?

you will test and compare and contrast based on what? you haven't been playing much else based on your own quotes in this forum. what will you compare PoE with?

please, if you really believe you want to be part of a development process and help out, go play something else and be patient. become informed, clear your mind off PoE and come back later, play something else and become more able to judge issue and situations.

large post, i apologise, but those who want to read it, will.

one last rhetorical analogy in the off chance you realise what is going on.
let's assume we all have a car producing factory. we design and manufacture a new car. now here is the tricky part; who is going to test it and who do we want to sell it to?
do we only bring in Michael Schumacher or Lewis Hamilton to test drive the car? or do we also invite a 60 year-old grandmother, the local priest, an 19 year-old university student and a single mom?

the logic behind this is universal, not just Chris'.

tl;dr version; every planner requires input from a myriad different sources. fresh eyes bringing fresh perspectives. be patient and you might get in, to really feel what a CBT is all about, with all its problems/crashes/bugs.

Very good post!! Indeed with you! =).
I am veteran i have follow Poe sense November 2010.
I don't wanna play another game, but only so long a man can stare at a timer!

Trust me I tried......
After 38 hours I fell to sleep and woke up on my keyboard, with pizza mushed in my face!

If i send you all cookies, can I jump the queues?
Last edited by ZestyScanner on Apr 22, 2015, 3:09:34 AM
@Kayuga, you win the internet.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.

Chris:

AWesome epic music and ambience. Well played mate, well played.
Playing POE since 0.9.0
"
mirificel wrote:
"
Cosma wrote:
Sorry Chris but you should run for politics.

Please explain to me how you expect totally new players to give you constructive feedback regarding game balance?

And please explain to me why you think a player that NEVER posted one single post on the forum nor played through the game with ANY character on even normal would ever care to put countless hours and input to the beta.

Cause that is what you need - ACTIVE players that give you FEEDBACK. There is a reason why you normally apply for a beta and get selected.

Sorry, but this is nothing more than just a hype trick. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see through it.

Very well said,

The beauty of poe is that it should take you atleast 1month to learn the game if you make it easy enough for the new players where is the challenge for the old players?

Inviting BOTH experienced players and new players allows to give feedback on two different angles, doesn't it? It's not like only the new players are selected you know. And, as Chris said, they are pleased with the feedback so far, so if that's true, the system is working fine.
Beta key invites, 0 characters, zero play time. Funny.

beta account join date posts last active
key
invite
no.

413 wildstarere1 April 20, 2015 0 (0 posts per day) April 22, 2015
409 Test1993 April 13, 2015 0 (0 posts per day) April 13, 2015
387 eduaguiars April 21, 2015 0 (0 posts per day) April 21, 2015
386 mine9 April 21, 2015 0 (0 posts per day) April 21, 2015

Last edited by Xidario on Apr 22, 2015, 4:44:11 AM
Start of close beta n2 is soo big shame to u Chris and ur team. Poe community now open eyes and see that this game is a big market, or bot RMT paradise, and fake akks show this more then old RMT info. Some of streamers come to CB only for new HC 1 week race, ignoring chat and most questions about new gems and so on. U need to invite more bot users Chris and dead acounts... Too old for this and never understand GGG.
100lvl mele pvp QUIT

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info