The Closed Beta of The Awakening is live!

I agree with the general sentiment here. Yes, closed betas have a legit place but ostentatious gimmicks like that timer and irresponsibly stirring up anticipation bespeak an extraordinary degree of PR incompetence.
well i noticed alot of big name gamers got in first like alot of streamers which GGG said they werent gonna do. typical gaming company lieing about shit again.
"
AviKohl wrote:
I agree with the general sentiment here. Yes, closed betas have a legit place but ostentatious gimmicks like that timer and irresponsibly stirring up anticipation bespeak an extraordinary degree of PR incompetence.

The timer blows my mind haha. "upcoming invite" what is the point of this? As if its needed to know the upcoming person to be invited. Oh yay!! i get to wait 5 minutes until im actually invited, its awesome to know that im given a headsup that its happening before it actually does.

What is the point of that? its not like during that 5minute timer, they have the option of "declining" the invite to pick someone else.

The whole system is aggravating. Ive been anticipating Act 4 forever, and a new league. I dont like perm leagues. Gimme Us something to do !
It is saddening to witness how poorly this whole act 4 release is being managed.

First the streaming of the beta testing that will flood any POE search with spoilers for those like me who want to discover the content. Hence why we are all hoping to get in. We want to discover it first hand. Not by some guy commenting every new thing. I understand the reach those guys bring, but what good does it do when newcomers end up queuing and not accessing the content they were sold on.

Second, the people who supported the game should have been placed in a priority pool. I sure wouldn't have been in it for I have not invested enough money I guess, but looking at some other account... some supporters sure aren't feeling the love from GGG right now. Especially witnessing all the newly created account, haven't played for ages or else that get in. Should I create accounts with every single email I have, or better create eons more so I get better odds?

Third, the hype of this complete overhaul requiring a beta makes the actual online game rather flavourless. Makes all the fun theory crafting obsolete... We understand the beta is needed to assess and balance the content, therefore skill tree be released and such... But Public relations wise, a team dedicated to unveil and discuss upcoming contents and tweaks would have kept us busy and excited.

On and on, I feel like I am relieve the same sentiment as to when D3 was released... the feeling of being let down. I am left with two options, hoping to get a key to pursue playing or just phase out all of POE until release to avoid my enjoyment being spoiled.

Hope you learn from the experience GGG.
hmmmmm....waiting....
It does make me sad that people who made accounts today get into the beta.
Just the luck of the draw I guess.
"

Seems like you did a good enough job of summing up what people's contributions are, clearly they should hire you.

I haven't actually complained about streamers, that makes total sense to me, that's preferential, that's how I feel anyone who has a history of contribution should be treated.

Honestly I think it should really just be an open beta, maybe you can shed some light or ggg would explain why it's not, I would think more data is better...and I'm not sure they don't have the sever power, live servers seem mostly dead and it would be odd not to test server strength for astronomical numbers. Maybe they feel no testing would get done if the servers got flooded and were unstable idk.

As for pr suicide pretty sure they've done that with their countdown. They may as well change this news post to:

"The closed beta of the awakening is live for .05% of the community"

Like I said earlier though I admit I'm not rational, I realize they need unbiased statistics, I am just disappointed with how it was handled and I guess I just have to accept that path of exile is a business before it's a game.

It is frustrating to be told your support does not entitle you to be allowed to participate.

Anyhow I've said my piece, I'll abstain from further venting.

At its core though., preferential treatment is unfair... to an extent. Maybe I haven't given money but I have given time, which if you're someone writing a game you WANT people to play it. If you offer it for free, you're giving people incentive to play it. Regardless, I don't have an issue if they gave supporters extra chances to get in or whatever, but I still agree it'd be nice if they gave a little more insight into the rational for everyone's sake, and maybe gave a preview of what was to come with regard to letting people in once they completed this phase of the testing/deployment.

But see.. it's fair because you're just as disappointed as the rest of us who aren't getting in.... ;)
Last edited by edgrubermn on Apr 21, 2015, 3:32:27 PM
so many teenagers crying...

Grow up guys, wait 2 months...

Yes the publicity is a bit ridiculous, but understand the need of buzz.
Had a quick glance on the list and accounts like this one had a key

[Removed by Support]

I'm feeling a little jealous tbh, as it doesn't look like a good usage of it. Can I claim his?
Last edited by Support on Apr 21, 2015, 6:12:22 PM
"
Ghilliesniper wrote:
well i noticed alot of big name gamers got in first like alot of streamers which GGG said they werent gonna do. typical gaming company lieing about shit again.

When did GGG say this? Pretty sure they said the exact opposite. Everything about this beta was communicated days before it began. None of this should be a surprise. They LITERALLY spelled out everything they were going to do, from the streamer invites to the 5 minute timer. What else do you expect?

The POE community is great, but why do so many of you have this "I should get what I want because I was born" mentality. How do any of you function in your lives, or jobs? You think that because you are here typing in a forum, or because you contributed some money to a FREE game, that you are somehow better than other people? Talk about narcissism!

In the end, this is Math. GGG isn't excluding you. None of us have an intrinsic right to this beta anyway, so it's impossible to be excluded from something you have no right to. It boils down to Math and Statistics. Stop being so butt-hurt, and realize that the world isn't yours just because you crawled out of your mother.

-Your friendly neighborhood grown up

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info